Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 19,923 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are considering relocating to the (outside of) Missoula area. We are looking at acreage property and would build our house. He is leaving active duty Army and we can pretty much choose where we want to go. We are both native Texans but neither one of us really want to go back there due to the excessive heat and a myriad of other reasons. That being said, we have two small boys (2 year old twins) and he really wants to bring them up in the country as he grew up. He is or used to be prior to the Army, a big hunter so being in close proximity to big game hunting and the fishing is a high priority for him. I am sick of traffic (we are currently stationed in the Seattle/Tacoma area) and its amazing how long it takes to travel a few miles....but it was like that in Texas too in the cities. We are both just tired of being on top of other people and the big rat race, and even more sick of constantly moving with the Army.

My husband is actually with a realtor this weekend viewing properties and investigating the area. In our research we found out that the Clark Fork River and Anaconda resevoir is the largest Superfund site in N. America. That was shocking. I have read a good portion of the research but wanted to hear some comments from the locals on what has and is ongoing as far as the cleanup. I am also concerned about stream and sediment contamination downstream on properties we might consider. I suppose an environmental assessment would clear that up but its hard to gauge the "real" story by just browsing the net.

Also, we are only considering this area because we have read the winters are overall more mild than the rest of Montana. I will be honest in saying I am nervous about the length of the winters and have read some past posts as most say it can be excessively dreary in Missoula due to its location. Can anyone also chime in on the length of gray skies and if it gets sunny at all during the winter, at least periodically? This Seattle rain for 9 months out of the year is just killing me. Talk about depressing. I like it when its really cold after a clear night here and we have sun the next day. Makes all the difference in the world. I just dont want to end up moving to an area that may not get so much rain, but is still so dreary for so long.

Finally, I see that the job market and pay rates are pretty lousy. We are both degreed individuals and I do currently stay home w/ our boys, but besides the university and possibly the forest service are there any major employers in the area I might be missing?

Thanks for answering any of the questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 01:24 PM

I also thought of some more questions. What are the farmer's markets like in the area? I located one natural foods store online but are there more in the area? Once we settle I am really wanting to raise organic veggies (I love gardening and cooking but cant do much gardening because we move too darn much) and sell them during the summers. Has the "local food movement" been successful in the area meaning is there a nice exchange with local farmers? We are looking at greenhouses to extend the growing season up here in the North. I also plan on having chickens....really miss my grandmother's fresh eggs we always had as kids...but I'd like to sell them too!

Old 01-29-2011, 04:34 PM

213 posts, read 697,017 times
Hi shands! I think I can answer a few of your questions...

I live near the Superfund site and have driven by it frequently over the last few years while they ahve been cleaning it up. The problem was an old dam and small pond-like reservoir, that had trapped the sediments that originated from the mines far upstream many years ago. The cleanup is winding down, and in a year or two the old reservoir is expected to be a very nice natural park.

The fact that is has been a superfund shouldn't worry you. Most of the problem is from the original mines far upstream (we're talking 60-70 miles or more away). There were at one time some drinking water issues if you were right along the reservoir or "in town" Milltown or Bonner. I'm not sure if the clean up has completely fixed that, but it really isn't the nicest area to find land anyway, and as long as you're a few miles away you should be fine.

Missoula has some wonderful, thriving farmer's markets. I've only experienced them as a buyer, not a seller, but I'm sure you can find a market for organic veggies and eggs! The natural foods store in Missoula is very large and very nice. There is only the one "dedicated" natural foods store - which is full-sized supermarket sized, but many of the other stores have very good selections as well.

Backyard chickens are popular for folks out of town. You'll want to make sure they are fenced in well and protected from wildlife. I know of several people with setups that aren't very protective, that have lost a number of birds to wildlife. We have a secure henhouse for night and sturdy fencing and haven't had a problem.

You mentioned traffic - keep in mind that parts of Missoula (North Reserve Street especially) were not planned for highly sufficient traffic flow and can be very frustrating at times. Depending on where you work and live, and what times you commute, it may not be an issue.

You're right about the job market - the pay usually isn't good. Missoula has a high number of individuals with degrees, so you won't stand out. Aside from the employes you mentioned there are a number of small employers and some people get lucky and find just the right job. But you should expect the likelihood of not making as much elsewhere, and/or ending up in a job for which you are overqualified for awhile.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:40 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo403 View Post
Some people get lucky and find just the right job, but you should expect the likelihood of not making as much elsewhere, and/or ending up in a job for which you are overqualified for awhile.
This part is soooooo true, expect to be shocked at the low wages per cost of living. The Clark Fork river will be restored as much as is possible and the pollution problem should not get in your way of having a nice river oriented life.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:56 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,476,118 times
Do some looking at the complete Clark Fork water shed there is also a upper clark for water shed involved which ties into Mill Creek by Anaconda then on down stream. This a protected water shed and many things can't be done in or with the water such as a home Hydo Electric System.
Our place is about 8 miles south of the stack towards Mt Hagin and only contamination was a light dusting the heavier materials fell closer in towards the stack.
The Anaconda Library has a pretty comprehensive section dedicated to the supefund site. could be there for days reading.

This area is one of those that is Not year around access unless you use a snow cat or something similar. Our property sits at 7000 foot elevation

Old 02-02-2011, 08:34 PM

Thank you so much for all of your comments. I do appreciate them. Anything else that may come to mind please comment. My husband found a wonderful property around the St. Regis area, but w/ zero areas to build w/ south facing exposure and we didn't care for the I-90 proximity. The search has just begun. Thanks again!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:49 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
If you're willing to consider St. Regis, then you may want to including Highway 200 in your search; some very nice little communities there, with gorgeous views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula