U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,804 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Missoula. I enjoy birding, hiking, fly fishing, cross country skiing. I would like to assume that being in a college town that there will be things to attend; culture of some kind; the arts; oranizations to join; places to meet people. I am a single senior male, recently retired English instructor, looking for new experiences. Are the real estate prices inflated? When looking for a small house, what should I avoid, any areas?

And about the problem of inversion, smog, polllution. How bad?

Any tips, information, suggestions would help.

Thanks.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 02-19-2011 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Highly suggest that you don't post your email. Will DM you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 11:38 AM

7,662 posts, read 8,952,951 times
Missoula is good for the activities you like. There also are some cultural events with the college. Real estate prices are grossly inflated. Unless you have a substantial amount it will be tough to find a place to afford. Though there are some nice people in Missoula, I found many of the people in that part of the state to be very close-minded and outright hostile to people from out of state. My saving grace was that I was at least from Montana, although many people couldn't comprehend an area of Montana west of the Continental Divide. If you want to live in Montana Billings is a much better choice. You can do the same things, it is just not as scenic.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:11 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,293 posts, read 3,326,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldo902 View Post
I am considering a move to Missoula. I enjoy birding, hiking, fly fishing, cross country skiing. I would like to assume that being in a college town that there will be things to attend; culture of some kind; the arts; oranizations to join; places to meet people. I am a single senior male, recently retired English instructor, looking for new experiences. Are the real estate prices inflated? When looking for a small house, what should I avoid, any areas?

And about the problem of inversion, smog, polllution. How bad?

Any tips, information, suggestions would help.

Thanks.
.....Hey geraldo920.......

Obviously (in my opinion) any opinions you receive are going to be more subjective rather than objective..........just human nature.

I have lived (full time) within 45 miles of Missoula (in the Bitterroot Valley) for the last 31 years........however my 40 years in the "work-a-day" world required that I travel not only all over Montana, but also Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Nevada and several other western states to a lesser degree.

I too am a single (widowed) senior male but probably about 15 to 20 years older than you are. During the last 10 years of my working career I was constantly on "the look-out" for the best place to retire in the western U.S.

From all the places I was familiar with...............I choose the Bitterroot Valley.

I was (and still am) an outdoors type person.....however to a lesser degree as the years and health considerations have taken their toll. I still hunt, fish, travel, and take advantage of several of the functions and organizations that occurr year round as related to the University of M and in the area in general, and utilize my "bird dog" for bird hunting as well as being a great companion.

The info in your post suggests to me that somewhere within 50 miles of Missoula would be the best choice for you...................HOWEVER: I strongly suggest you visit varoius areas (and cities) that end up on your short list. And visit each area (city) both in winter and summer for at least a week or more each time. (believe me....it will be time and money wll spent!)

I obvioisly don't know where you will be moving from........there could be a significant "change-in-life-style" ............I just don't know.....Thus the strong suggestion to arrange as many "visits" as possible.

As you go through various 'posts' in this forum related to "moving to Montana", you will find many references to phrases like:..."Leave your out-of-state-baggage" at the state line;..."don't try and change "things' to meet your desires and needs", etc,etc,etc..... However offensive, rude and out-spoken, this may seem........it is has been 'posted" by many on this forum with the "best-of-intentions".

I am sure you will "do-your-homework" and end up making an intelligent choice. I wish you luck in your quest.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:04 PM

213 posts, read 596,365 times
Missoula definitely has opportunities for everything you've described. I disagree with the statement that we have "grossly inflated" real estate prices. Our market isn't cheap, but how bad it is or isn't really depends on your perspective. Missoula's home prices are actually fairly comparable to the national average. However, there is a huge disparity between the cost of a home in Missoula and the wages you can expect to earn here, so the market is difficult for a lot of people to get into. But, if you are receiving retirement and not dependent on wages you would earn here, and/or if you're bringing equity from the sale of a home in a stable market, the prices probably won't seem that bad. If you're coming from Seattle, California, or New England, they might seem downright cheap!

As for the smog and inversions, yes, they can be a problem. In all honesty, the city doesn't see a lot of sun during the winter months. You can escape a lot of that problem by being out of town just 10 miles or so.

Montana Griz gave great advice about visiting - in all seasons! Our summers are truly beautiful. Winters can be an acquired taste. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula