U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 AM

281 posts, read 727,443 times

Advertisements

One thing to note, you can never predict exactly how the Northwestern energy bill will be.

My first winter bill per month in 2007 for our duplex in Lolo was around $120.00 per month and rose steadily over the next five years, until it reached an all time high in 2012 topping out at $200 - $250.00 a month. That was a bit of a hard pill to swallow.
This is with winterizing the place, and our gracious landlords putting storm windows on!

There are many things you can research and get prepared for, but that you just roll with the punches. Good luck to all coming here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,989 times
Default Missoula

Good morning (for me),

I'm a twice deployed Marine Captain about to finish my master's in Org Leadership. I've worked in what equates to human resources/legal/investigations in the Corps with, as said, two interesting pumps to Helmand Province as a partnered infantry battalion with the Afghan National Army 6/1/215 Kandak and currently as part of a security force assistance advisor team to the Afghan National Army 215th Corps.

What a fascinating group of problems Missoula seems to have. Not problems, I guess, but opportunities. As the war(s) against terror seem to be coming to close, so does my time with the Marines. I never want to experience sand or anything over 90 degrees again, so I'll be coming through the Missoula to Spokane corridor, carpet-bombing the place with resumes, cover letters, and ambition.

There seems life in those hills. Can you imagine if you could harness the sheer tenacity of the people, retain the talent, build the infrastructure, and make that place grow?

This sounds like an adventure and if any of you are willing to meet with me towards the middle of October, please email me at solargoose@gmail.com. Spam me and I will unofficially declare war on you.

Regards,

Jake Freeman

Old 09-10-2013, 11:34 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,293 posts, read 3,327,207 times
Default missoula temps

Hey Jake........

FYI, during July and August of this summer Missoula had officially at the airport, 36 days out of 61 that were above 90......down town. It got up to 100 or above 17 times............suggest the Standpoint.ID area for cooler temps....

Old 09-11-2013, 11:51 PM

5,792 posts, read 9,258,027 times
Jake, thank you for your service! If you're flying in and haven't bought your ticket yet, check out if it isn't cheaper to fly into Spokane and drive east to Missoula--it usually is. I agree with Griz that temperature-wise you may want to consider North Idaho, but the entire area along I-90 and Highway 200 is something worth exploring--although every summer will have a week or two with temps in the 90s. I suggest you plan on doing a loop traveling I-90 through Coeur d'Alene to Missoula, and then up Highway 93 to 200, and west through Thompson Falls and Noxon to Sandpoint, with side trips (and then back to Spokane down 95 and I-90). That will give you a great impression of the area. You may want to come over to the Idaho forum if you have specific questions about that part of the loop, we'd love to answer your questions there, too. October is a great time to visit!

Old 09-18-2013, 01:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,097 times
Hi we moved from Bakersfield Ca to my home town of Honolulu Hawaii for my husbands job and it ain't paradise here 1500$ for a one bed room dump 5.24 for a gallon of milk @ Walmart and 4.15 - 4.29 for gas and electric is .47 cents per kilowatt so for us to transfer to Montana and pay a lot less and he will be making the the same wage as here we will live a lot better than here so I will take 9 months of winter over 100% humidity and out rageous prices for EVERYTHING. Thanks for all the info this has really helped us in making that big move back to the mainland an off the rock! Lol

Last edited by Krisna04; 09-18-2013 at 02:09 AM..

Old 11-19-2013, 02:31 PM

32 posts, read 140,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisna04 View Post
Hi we moved from Bakersfield Ca to my home town of Honolulu Hawaii for my husbands job and it ain't paradise here 1500$ for a one bed room dump 5.24 for a gallon of milk @ Walmart and 4.15 - 4.29 for gas and electric is .47 cents per kilowatt so for us to transfer to Montana and pay a lot less and he will be making the the same wage as here we will live a lot better than here so I will take 9 months of winter over 100% humidity and out rageous prices for EVERYTHING. Thanks for all the info this has really helped us in making that big move back to the mainland an off the rock! Lol
Same here Krisna. We lived on Oahu and now on the Big Island. While we love the Big Island, we are ready for a change and will be moving to Montana in March. Our son is especially excited to finally be able to play in the snow. We always laugh when people tell us to be prepared for the high cost of living. The cost of living was actually one of the reasons we are excited about our move. Our rent alone will be cut at least in half for the same size home. I think it is funny though that everyone compares the price of milk. For me, when I first moved here years ago, I was surprised at the cost of cereal. I quit eating it as I couldn't bring myself to pay $7-8 a box! So no need for milk for me anymore. The electric is outrageous too. Last I checked we pay 45 cents per kw, compared to the 9 cents per kw we paid in Seattle. That is crazy. Good luck with your move. We can't wait for our move.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:31 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,991,054 times
Surprised somewhat by the lack of activity in this forum section recently. But I guess there is plenty from the past that folks can wade thru.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:51 AM

5,792 posts, read 9,258,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Surprised somewhat by the lack of activity in this forum section recently. But I guess there is plenty from the past that folks can wade thru.
Hi Crow, good to see you! I've wondered about the general lack of activity, too, on all sections of the Montana forum. It seems like the forum has lost a number of otherwise frequent posters . Hope they're okay and busy with their lives...

Old 12-17-2013, 12:11 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,571,634 times
All our fingers froze last month and when it thawed again, they fell off. Makes it hard to type.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:47 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,991,054 times
Thanks for the greeting CFF and best wishes to you and yours.

There is a time for many things...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula