U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 07:42 PM

5 posts, read 3,268 times

Advertisements

I have close friends in Montana - visit often and during different seasons. No place on Earth I have ever visited captured my inner spirit like Montana. I'm sure it has it's down side - all places do - and I'm currently living in North Carolina (long time resident). I dream of moving to Montana and retiring there - but in reality it's just a dream. Too many factors would prevent such a move - BUT - I can always hope and dream. I tell everyone that's it's the most beautiful place on earth - that - I truly believe. And ....... a bad day in Montana beats a good day anywhere else. Just my humble $.02 and I'm stickin' to it.

Go GRIZ (and Cats) and "All Things MONTANA".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 01:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,940 times
Hello all,
I am considering moving to Missoula. I have never been there and have never actually been to any mountain region. Does one feel... Elevation, whatever it's called? Is there a chance that someone unprepared might have breathing difficulties because of how elevated it is? Is there any difference actually?

Old 01-29-2015, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison1988 View Post
Hello all,
I am considering moving to Missoula. I have never been there and have never actually been to any mountain region. Does one feel... Elevation, whatever it's called? Is there a chance that someone unprepared might have breathing difficulties because of how elevated it is? Is there any difference actually?
Hi, Alison! I'd be happy to answer your question. I'll add a bit more just in case others have related questions.
I've lived in Missoula for the last 18 years after moving here from Oklahoma. Missoula sits around 3,200 feet or so. I didn't notice any difficulties with breathing when I came here and my dad who visits from time to time doesn't mention anything about his breathing. For me, I only start to notice "thin air" when I get over 5,000 feet. That's Denver territory.
The only breathing issues you may encounter come during a bad fire season with the smoke in the air. I tolerate it well but some folks are more sensitive to it. Every fire season (Summer into Fall) is different so I can't offer any patterns or predictions. Winter inversions can be a problem for some folks too but drive 10 miles in any direction and you'll be away from it.
Actually, I had very bad hay fever allergies growing up in Oklahoma. Since moving to Missoula my allergies are near non-existent. And the air...I love the air! Clean and dry with no heaviness due to excessive humidity. You won't need those little pine car air fresheners either. Just take a weekend drive in the surrounding countryside with your windows down and you'll have all the pine scent you can handle.
The only noticeable physical effect I can think of is if you live in a humid climate now and choose to move here you may notice dry skin until you get acclimated. It's the only thing my dad ever mentions when he visits and it's not a big deal. Missoula is considered semi-arid but use a little dab of lotion and you'll be fine.

Last edited by Whistlepig; 01-29-2015 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 01-30-2015, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 5,940 times
Thank you, it was very helpful!

Old 06-10-2015, 10:19 AM

202 posts, read 400,723 times
When I first visited Missoula, I walked out of the Airport and took a few deep breaths. We noticed the first few minutes of heavy breathing. After that we felt great. No matter what the nay-Sayers say, the air was fresh, and cleaner than the East Coast.

And the smell of the trees in the Spring. I have had no "seasonal allergy" out breaks ether.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:41 AM

213 posts, read 559,220 times
Very interesting thread. Many of the positives mentioned about Missoula are reasons my family is also considering a move there from Cincinnati, but there are some definite issues/concerns after reading through this. I knew it was a big college town, so there will be negatives that come with that, but why is the area so heavily unionized as I've seen mentioned?

The main reason we are leaving Cincinnati is because of the incredible decline of nearly all of the neighborhoods throughout this tri-state area. We have extremely high amounts of crime, a totally out of control drug (heroin) problem, rapidly declining home values, massive increases in subsidized housing, and so on that is destroying the neighborhoods here. I know you are never going to "get away from it" but are these major issues Missoula is also dealing with these days? I've seen mention that there is an inordinate amount of panhandling going on. That typically goes along with drug issues. What is it that attracts them to Missoula? I've been to several cities of similar size in recent years where panhandling is non-existent.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:54 AM

7,543 posts, read 12,602,054 times
Don't pay panhandlers (cuz what kindhearted folks give them is their paycheck) and pretty soon you won't have any panhandlers. Funny how that works.

Every urban area run by modern liberals comes down with Detroit Syndrome to some degree, but it hasn't happened in Montana to nearly the degree it has back east, if only because our cities are so much smaller.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:10 AM

43 posts, read 40,060 times
This is a very good thread. I hope more people weigh in!

Old 08-13-2015, 07:22 AM

7,543 posts, read 12,602,054 times
I would also add that panhandlers are still relatively uncommon enough here that when you see one, you notice. Conversely in California they're everywhere and not at all unusual. (If you think MT has a lot, you really need to tour CA, where every storefront has one.) Of course in MT winters it takes more fortitude to be a panhandler... or at least a better grade of Po'folks costume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula