U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2011, 02:32 AM
 
Location: State of General Disarray
837 posts, read 1,282,414 times
Reputation: 1377

Advertisements

Another point as I ponder the state of my adopted hometown from the other side of the globe:

In response to the accusation that "eco-wackos" have decimated industry in MT, I'd have to say that nothing has decimated industry nationwide like industry itself (with a hand from the unions, which I believe have their place, but it's an unrelated topic!). Manufacturers don't exist to give blue-collar people jobs; their M.O. is to make people who are probably already very rich even richer. If they can cut their costs by consolidating plants and/or moving jobs overseas, they will do it... and if they had never done things like conveniently disposing their harmful waste into MT towns and the environment, those who protest on environmental grounds would cease to exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2011, 02:56 AM
 
Location: The Emerald City
1,065 posts, read 1,554,568 times
Reputation: 1086
As a born and raised Missoulian all my life, its pretty much very true still to this day of the saying "Montana, great place to live *if retired*, ****ty place to make a living". That being said, this 31 year old native is about had it with Missoulas crappy, non reliable weather, non existent IT job market, liberal, mouthy & stinky college hippys, horrid housing market and just all around fed up with this beered up college town and its empty wallet economy that requires the power hungry cops to pull over decent, law abiding citizings for the stupiest crap just to pay the mayor and city councils high end life styles.

Hope to be outa here within a year or less.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 05-31-2011 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: Let the word filter do it's job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 09:28 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,524,455 times
Reputation: 15493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
......Excellent post..... My daughter is in her 27th year of teaching here in western Montana. Without naming names, she has told me about certain circumstances that she is faced with --almost on a daily basis-- that in some instances are hard to believe. Example: having 28 students in a 4th grade class....and two of the 28 are "special-needs-kids" (developmently challenged), and due to lack of funds in this particular district, they do not have a "special ed person" on the staff.....thus these two kids disrupt the school day on a regular basis (screaming, crying, spitting, fighting, throwing themselves-on-the-floor, etc,etc.) and my daughter has to stop the normal routine of her teaching day and handle the situation at hand. Sad situation!
It's not that they don't have the funding for the most part it's because it's miss spent at the top. Too many one or two school "districts" causing too many administrators making wayyy to much money. Take Flathead county for example, if they went to a unified school district instead of every little city being a separate fiefdom with a superintendent and staff/costs there'd be millions available.
How does anyone justify a one school district with it's own superintendent and all the costs that go along with it? Maybe this was the way it had to be before cars,internet,highways but now?
As for SPED students, I've yet to see a district in MT that really gives a damn about them. It's all about $$$$ and how they can allocate Federal $$ paid to them for these SPED students other places. Sports,AP classes and most everything else takes priority over SPED.
BTW, as a parent of a SPED student this is exactly what I was told by a couple of district employees and experienced first hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 09:29 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,524,455 times
Reputation: 15493
Quote:
Originally Posted by strudel42 View Post
Another point as I ponder the state of my adopted hometown from the other side of the globe:

In response to the accusation that "eco-wackos" have decimated industry in MT, I'd have to say that nothing has decimated industry nationwide like industry itself (with a hand from the unions, which I believe have their place, but it's an unrelated topic!). Manufacturers don't exist to give blue-collar people jobs; their M.O. is to make people who are probably already very rich even richer. If they can cut their costs by consolidating plants and/or moving jobs overseas, they will do it... and if they had never done things like conveniently disposing their harmful waste into MT towns and the environment, those who protest on environmental grounds would cease to exist.
Can you say TIMBER industry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2011, 01:52 PM
 
1,045 posts, read 1,535,315 times
Reputation: 325
So there is no manufacturing/industrial work any where in Montana? We were considering moving out there in 3/4 years, but that's the work my husband does. So maybe not a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2011, 08:26 PM
 
Location: The Emerald City
1,065 posts, read 1,554,568 times
Reputation: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
So there is no manufacturing/industrial work any where in Montana? We were considering moving out there in 3/4 years, but that's the work my husband does. So maybe not a good idea.
Random contract work mostly for this town, Billings would have more due to oil refineries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 02:17 PM
 
Location: West Texas
26 posts, read 63,024 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It's not that they don't have the funding for the most part it's because it's miss spent at the top. Too many one or two school "districts" causing too many administrators making wayyy to much money. Take Flathead county for example, if they went to a unified school district instead of every little city being a separate fiefdom with a superintendent and staff/costs there'd be millions available.
How does anyone justify a one school district with it's own superintendent and all the costs that go along with it? Maybe this was the way it had to be before cars,internet,highways but now?
It's the same way here in Texas. The county I live in has 4 separate school districts. One of the has a total enrollment of 14...yes 14 kids . With its own admin staff and superintendent. Its not a oil rich part of Texas either. The amount of wasted $ that this country creates both locally and federally is astounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 11:46 PM
 
202 posts, read 400,593 times
Reputation: 123
This figg'n thread is GOLD!

But...if you take the time ahead you should be aware of Missoula and her troubles. The fact is. For someone like me. Even if I work at Wally-World,aka Walmart as a Greeter, It is a job. But man do I have an idea, just not the money or know-how. lol

One thing I have not read, or barely saw mentioned, is the fact that Missoula seems to be in a location that is visited by tourist. Am I wrong to think this? I thought it was a Ski town in the winter, and other Recreational Destination during Spring and Summer?

Am I misinterpreting the pretty pictures on the Visit Missoula Web Site?

Is there a Tourist Industry there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 08:16 AM
 
1,640 posts, read 4,228,532 times
Reputation: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunkerror View Post
This figg'n thread is GOLD!

But...if you take the time ahead you should be aware of Missoula and her troubles. The fact is. For someone like me. Even if I work at Wally-World,aka Walmart as a Greeter, It is a job. But man do I have an idea, just not the money or know-how. lol

One thing I have not read, or barely saw mentioned, is the fact that Missoula seems to be in a location that is visited by tourist. Am I wrong to think this? I thought it was a Ski town in the winter, and other Recreational Destination during Spring and Summer?

Am I misinterpreting the pretty pictures on the Visit Missoula Web Site?

Is there a Tourist Industry there?
Somewhat. The Flathead, Glacier, Yellowstone, and N. Idaho are all big tourist areas. Due to it's central location, Missoula often acts as a hub or passthrough for these areas, but it's not really a destination itself. It does get some tourism for the university, fishing, and rafting, but not enough to really be classified as a tourist town, IMO. Snowbowl, the ski hill, is much more of a locals mountain. The destination resorts are Big Mountain in Whitefish and Big Sky outside of Bozeman.

Basically Missoula is a college town that is close to a lot of toursist destinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 11:31 PM
 
202 posts, read 400,593 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Somewhat. The Flathead, Glacier, Yellowstone, and N. Idaho are all big tourist areas. Due to it's central location, Missoula often acts as a hub or passthrough for these areas, but it's not really a destination itself. It does get some tourism for the university, fishing, and rafting, but not enough to really be classified as a tourist town, IMO. Snowbowl, the ski hill, is much more of a locals mountain. The destination resorts are Big Mountain in Whitefish and Big Sky outside of Bozeman.

Basically Missoula is a college town that is close to a lot of toursist destinations.
I see. Thanks for the clarity. I can't wait to fly out there and see this city first hand. I am getting a dreary impression of it on here. No jobs, everyone is gonna hate you. Poverty is the standard.

I can't see that being the case.

Last edited by gfunkerror; 02-18-2012 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: spelzfunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top