U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-17-2011, 08:39 PM

4,082 posts, read 6,499,992 times
Default Hiking hill near Missoula? (Featured in a movie)

I was watching the Criterion Collection DVD of "Slacker", a film by Richard Linklater. It has a full length feature of his first film called "It's Impossible to Learn Plow by Reading Books." He travels across the country from Austin to Montana and visits a friend in Missoula. In one scene they hike up this hill and near the top they stop and lay down on an exposed rock slab to rest. You see other people walking along a plateau just a few feet above them. It's near the town because they just walked from the guy's house to get there. He doesn't have a car.

Does anyone know the name of this hill or mountain? And also, what is the elevation difference between the town and that part of the hill?

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 08:53 PM

One more detail: There is a big "M" on the side of the mountain. They don't show the M in the film, but the director mentioned that during the commentary (which I am watching now).

I'm sure that bit of information will make it easier.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:57 PM

The "rock slab" is the M itself, as I just compared it to a picture. So they do show part of the M.

So, basically, I was wondering what is the elevation climb to the M, and how long does it take? Thanks.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:01 PM

Well, I just found the information I was looking for here.

Your Guide to trails in and around Missoula

It says that the elevation difference is 620 feet. Wow. That is quite a climb.

Thanks everyone who read this and acted as my sounding board.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:47 PM

213 posts, read 322,916 times
Yes, Mount Sentinel, right behind the University. The view from the M is spectacular, especially at sunset (or sunrise, I hear, but I've never been up early enough to make that one).

Old 07-20-2011, 11:31 AM

297 posts, read 297,022 times
Sorry no one answered you quickly enough but sometimes the board is slow. The hike up to the M is great any time of year but since the slope faces west, it can be extremely hot on summer afternoons. One can keep going up past the M, all the way to the top of Mount Sentinel. Really gorgeous views from up there too.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:57 AM

No problem. Actually, I made all of my posts in about a 20 minute time span, so if I had just waited a few moments I would have found the info myself.

Yes, I read about the climb going even higher. Almost 2000 feet of elevation. The 600 foot climb would be enough for me, and I imagine I would have to stop a few times even on that one just to rest.

Thanks.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:08 PM

1,337 posts, read 362,765 times
You can see the "M" on Google Earth, if you haven't checked that out yet. Possibly a good way to scope the area out, if you just want to get a sense of what it looks like, and what the hike might be like. Google Earth will also give you all the elevation figures you need to know at the trailhead, and at any point on the mountain by just waving the mouse over a given point of reference on the image.

I think there is another similar "M" at the other university in Bozeman on Mount Baldy. You can also see that quite clearly on Google Earth (and i think there are quite a few pictures you can click on in that program), to my recollection. Mountains & Minds -- The "M" at Bozeman

http://www.bozemannet.com/trails/hike_the_m.php

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 07-20-2011 at 02:17 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 07:08 PM

Thanks. I did look at the Bing Map of that on the skyview and I saw the M. I have no plans to visit the area, but my curiosity was peaked by seeing it on the movie. However, I would definitely like to visit the area if I am ever near Montana. I especially like places like this which are near the town like this one is. I prefer staying within city limits to visit trails or parks, as opposed to making a road trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula