U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2012, 06:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,986 times

Advertisements

Looking for as much info as possible on Missoula Mt. I am currently living on the east coast but hope to move to Montana in a few years. Below are some starter questions:

How is the job and housing market in Missoula?
What are the best areas?
How is crime rate in this area?

More questions to follow....coffee has not kicked in yet.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 07:38 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,673,857 times
Welcome to the forum, if you put Missoula in the search up top you will find many threads to get you started.

Here is one to begin with, keep posting and we will try to help.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/monta...-missoula.html

Old 01-14-2012, 09:06 PM

213 posts, read 345,947 times
The problem with Missoula, is that the job market and the housing market are not in alignment. Jobs don't pay well. Our unemployment rate may not look horrible, but there are a lot of people with jobs who are working for a lot less money than they should be. This is true in most places of Montana, but at least in some places, housing is inexpensive enough to make up for the low wages. Housing in Missoula is not cheap. It may look reasonable compared to some other places, but if you're relying on the local economy for your income, it's not easy.

Of course, exceptions can be found, depending on your specific job field and the type of housing you're looking for. Lots of people do make it here... it just isn't easy and it's hard to get ahead.

The crime rate in Missoula is nothing to worry about. Random violent crime is rare. There are some neighborhoods that are better than others... in general, the northside and East Missoula are not the greatest neighborhoods, but it's not like they are scary to drive through or anything. As far as "best" neighborhoods, it really depends on your needs. A good neighborhood for a college student will be different than a good neighborhood for a surgeon with a six figure income, which is different than a good neighborhood for a middle class family with kids. But overall, Missoula is a nice safe place to live so finding a good neighborhood to meet your needs isn't hard.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:17 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,269,977 times
I am currently living on the east coast but hope to move to Montana in a few years. Below are some starter questions:

Bongo has summed up Missoula thoroughly, but one thing to consider is that there is a lot of hostility in Montana (and especially this part) for people from "back east."

Old 01-16-2012, 08:54 AM

177 posts, read 178,290 times
Exclamation a lot of hostility in Montana (and especially this part) for people from "back east."

Really? What kind? Most people from The East Coast know a thing or two about that stuff. Are you suggesting that the areas recommended to stay away from are really the better areas?

I just don't understand the hostility thing. Can someone explain?

Tnx!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:22 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,673,857 times
Oh there is not really any grudge towards outsiders, just be respectful and try to fit in.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:05 PM

18,045 posts, read 23,016,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunkerror View Post
Really? What kind? Most people from The East Coast know a thing or two about that stuff. Are you suggesting that the areas recommended to stay away from are really the better areas?

I just don't understand the hostility thing. Can someone explain?

Tnx!
No, nobody on here is trying trick anybody, nor are the lieing about places to live or stay away from.

The hostility thing is not an outword hostility. New York, Jersey, Philly, etc, the people have a kind of "in your face" attitude that is not taken well here. Montana folks are more reserved, more layed back. Kind of quiet folks that will go plow out a neighbors driveway during a snowstorm and not ask for pay and will actually be offended if you offered to pay them. So when a Montana person encounters the in your face attitude, it kind of raises their hackles a bit. Where they normally are reserved and kind of quiet to see how you handle yourself, what kind of neighbor you are going to be, etc... and then begin talking to you or becoming a neighbor type attitude. They encounter the in your face attitude and you'll probably never get any info from that neighbor, you'll probably never have them come over and plow a driveway when your snowed in.

However, if you approach the area being respectful, try to fit in instead of trying to change the area to be like where you come from, you'll do fine.

That's also why Montana folk don't really appreciate the California people that move in and then want to change this, bring in a Starbucks, change that, let's start a convenance because I don't like the way your fence is, and want to change everything so that it's exactly like it was back where they come from. So the answer to that is, "If you want to change everything to the way it was where you come from, just stay there." Or. The reason you chose Montana is because you like what you saw, you like the way things were done, you liked the scenery, so just fit in, don't try and change it and you'll do fine.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 AM

11 posts, read 17,037 times
Missoula is probably best known by Montanans for its large population of hippies. It's a town that doesn't really represent the general attitude of the greater state of Montana. However, they are also the home of the college football team the Grizzlies which are popular throughout the state.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
The reason you chose Montana is because you like what you saw, you like the way things were done, you liked the scenery, so just fit in, don't try and change it and you'll do fine.
What a very enlightened and honest answer. Thank you very much. I would have normally stated that "generalizations", in this case about East Coasters, would be unfair. But you are for the most part correct.

In was born in The South and grew up some there. Transplanted to North as a kid, Philadelphia. I have had my share of challenges of living in a new place. Try being a white kid in predominantly black neighborhood, schools ect. With a Southerner accent on top. Lets say the History Lessons about Slavery and the Civil War were physically tough to live through. he he.

But I know nothing about people from California, of why would they want to change something the are there for because they like it in the first place?

I guess people have a vision like my own about Montana, Ranches, Cowboys, cattle, open space with Mountains in every directions. All very nice in the movies...but. I wouldn't be able to survive due to the fact I know very little if anything at all about all that stuff. Generalizations are usually generally correct? lol

But then came along Missoula. A young city, college town, tourist destination? That means streets, electricity, public utilities and civilization? Now we are being realistic. I will hope to visit soon. Doesn't sound like the movies at all. Sounds like a normal American Small, but a city no less. I see there is a Mall, lots of food venues. I like Tea. Or Mt. Dew for caffeine, so a Starbucks or any kind of corporate chain will not be frequented by me if I can avoid it. Ugh...you have 2 Walmarts?

Growing up in Philly, is like culture stew. So many people come and go from this city only to leave behind traditions. Irish(), Polish, Italians, Hispanics, Swedes, Amish/Dutch/German, and so on. And well, from block to block, you better watch out! lol If you are out of your neighborhood, you will meet hostility as stated above in one of the posts. Thats what I meant we know about that kind of stuff.

Now speaking for myself, and family, yeah...we have the "in-your-face" personality. But over all. We just want to get away from the war zone of Philly. No real attachment of love any more. Its starting to become Beirut. Already like 20 people have been murdered! Who in the hell wants to live in that mess?

So change is a positive thing. And I will say I would most likely be the loudest voice if someone tried to change a thing in Missoula. So far, its just right for me. Just enough city, just enough country, and never really been to the Mountians, just enough places, things and people to meet.

As far as fitting in. No chance. I am who I am, I'm just not going to try to convince someone I am a good person. I'll just do my best to just be a good person. I'll plow my own, and if someone needs help, I will do it. No for money, but for the simple way I was raised. Treat others as you wish to be treated. You do not have to like someone to be respectful towards them. And last but not least:

-Irish saying, Speak softly and carry a big stick.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binxterdoodles View Post
Missoula is probably best known by Montanans for its large population of hippies. It's a town that doesn't really represent the general attitude of the greater state of Montana. However, they are also the home of the college football team the Grizzlies which are popular throughout the state.

Hippies? ummm k. Philly has a fair, or had a fair share. I can deal. No not pot, I can deal with it. lol

I do like Blue Grass however. The music genre I mean.

You know what, its been pun. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula