Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,103 times

Advertisements

From reading other posts it seems like western Montana is experiencing a boom especially Kalispell and Missoula. My family and I have been thinking about moving to those areas and are curious as to why it is booming? We would also like to know what the major industries are in those areas. My dh has a cdl, and has worked as a millwright and shop foreman, as well as other things.
the reason we are looking in those areas is they seem to be climate friendly yet very close to the mountains. But the major concern has to be hubby's work. If those areas aren't good for work, any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 11:46 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,176 times
I have heard the job outlook is fairly bleak right now in the Flathead Valley. My aunt lives there as well as my father-in-law. We'd love to move there also but are worried about finding jobs. We are stuck in southern California at the moment (yuck!). Probably going to head to Texas for the abundance of jobs and low cost of living.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:49 PM

11 posts, read 47,495 times
From what I saw while I was in Missoula, most of the good jobs were at UM and the hospital.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,062,717 times
The "boom" in the Flathead Valley consists of the beautiful valley being paved and all the once peaceful valley land getting filled up with tract home developments and strip malls. Western Montana's industries consist primarily of logging, mining, tourism and filling up the valley with development. The current recession has finally put the kibosh on much of the development as well as the traditional industries such as mining and logging but folks are still moving in and gradually filling up all those tract homes with stepford wife families. Very few people earning money by working the few jobs here can afford these homes. This rampant development is fueled by out of state money flowing in along with the folks fleeing places that are worse. Unless you have a skill that is in very high demand you may find that the Valley isn't any better than where you moved from, only a lot colder. Visit first or you may make a huge mistake. The decent paying jobs are either very rough work often outdoors all year round or require a degree in medicine, law or another high demand field. Nobody will pay off one of these new spec homes by working at the average wage in the Flathead Valley. Good luck and welcome to the board.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:32 PM

120 posts, read 378,429 times
Wherever you're looking, you might want to browse the local newspapers for a few weeks. You can get a sense of the job market by looking through the classifieds and a sense of the community by reading the articles. Most newspapers have online versions these days. The Daily Interlake is one paper that covers the Kalispell/Flathead area. They're online here: Northwest Montana Daily Inter Lake > Front

Old 06-23-2009, 09:50 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,814,754 times
flathead valley job market is in the tank right now. thats what my hubby i, is a millwright,and all the mills are either shutting down or on their way to shutting down.unless a miracle happens and the market for lumber picks up.aside from that ,yes its pretty here

Old 06-26-2009, 07:20 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,062,717 times
Some restaurants appear to stay very busy and the tips can be very good for good and friendly servers. Also bars seem to do very good business and if there is gaming in the bar the tips tend to be very high when someone wins big. It's a bit demeaning to serve tables or mix drinks for a living after working in high paying industrial or white collar positions but money is money and even in really good times many folks moving to Montana often can't find work in their regular field.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
It seems pay rates are dropping as well. For the last few years there was a dirth of jobs and very few workers so employers rased pay to attract what workers they could. Now that the economy went in the tank there's way,way more workers than jobs so employers have dropped what they'll pay and even started shoving full time/benefit workers out and replacing them with a couple part time no benefit workers. I've been hearing this started a few months ago at our "Super" grocery stores so now I refuse to shop there.

As an aside, I was listening to a new public defender talk with another attorney the other day and this PD said "I made more money waiting tables" since I make about $21k a year now. Question from other attorney: Did you have a high GPA and did they check it? Answer: No I didn't and they didn't ask, as long as I passed the bar (barely) I got the job. I almost fell out of my chair when I heard this and was thankful this person didn't have MY life in their hands.
Nice to know you can get the best and the brightest to represent you!

Old 11-12-2009, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 9,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
The "boom" in the Flathead Valley consists of the beautiful valley being paved and all the once peaceful valley land getting filled up with tract home developments and strip malls. Western Montana's industries consist primarily of logging, mining, tourism and filling up the valley with development. The current recession has finally put the kibosh on much of the development as well as the traditional industries such as mining and logging but folks are still moving in and gradually filling up all those tract homes with stepford wife families. Very few people earning money by working the few jobs here can afford these homes. This rampant development is fueled by out of state money flowing in along with the folks fleeing places that are worse. Unless you have a skill that is in very high demand you may find that the Valley isn't any better than where you moved from, only a lot colder. Visit first or you may make a huge mistake. The decent paying jobs are either very rough work often outdoors all year round or require a degree in medicine, law or another high demand field. Nobody will pay off one of these new spec homes by working at the average wage in the Flathead Valley. Good luck and welcome to the board.

Based on what has been stated you beleive those that live in montana shoudl all but barely make a living, be unable to support our families so that we can preserve as much as possbible to look at? Many construction workers, miners, loggers and laborers in montana bust their buts to make a living for thier families and it doesn't seem like you apreciate that at all!

Old 11-12-2009, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,369 times
Montana is a great place to live, but would be better if the environmentalists that keep us from doing our jobs could be transfered to another state (can guarantee that loggers and miners work harder than anybody else and still don't get paid crap for it). If your against guns, hunting or even fishing then I strongly suggest that you wouldn't even bother interrupting our state becuause we have enough of you here (if you do move to montana I can almost guarantee that your neighbor will have at least 2 guns in their house). We are all nice people but unlike others it is understood that developments are going to be put up, roads are going to be paved, unless it is decided that we are going to whip out our horse and buggies when we need to leave our log and mud cabins for work and school. I also do hold a personal grudge against those that come in from other states with big money and the contractors that just love pushing the price of land and housing up so high that us normal people cannot afford to buy our own home. I say with a pride in my voice, more logging and mining, the industries need to get back on track and on high geer, the nature conservancy and environmentalists should not have any right to tell logging companies what to do and when they have a right to make money to support their families. Montana will be back on track when the logging industry is back on track!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula