Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 12:58 PM

9 posts, read 71,886 times

Advertisements

I am asking a couple of more questions about Missoula. I wrote a couple weeks back about which town around Missoula that would be good to raise kids. Everyone who wrote was helpful but I have more questions....

I looked on the internet and was appalled to see how many sex offenders live in the Missoula area. The number was around 500!! Does the police keep an eye on these people? We only have about 70 and some of them are at the state pen. I am a little worried because I have 3 children.

Also, my brother used to live in Miles City and he told me not to move to Missoula because it is so expensive. Well, Bismarck is not cheap and was wondering what taxes run and what groceries cost. I noticed that gas there is cheaper but that doesn't surprise me since ND has been the most expensive state in the lower 48 states for gas.

I have been reading the posts about how everyone is so unhappy there about the low pay and expensive real estate. Well this is going on in ND too. We are on the top of the list of people who have 2 jobs. I work with many people who have 2 or 3 jobs. That is not living!!! Any answers to my questions would be helpful. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 04:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Sex offenders are everywhere, every state,city,and town. I'm sure the 500 you say that are listed aren't all here, just as the 70 your list shows isn't a true number since many move around or don't register. I'm less worried about the ones that are already caught or that I don't know compared to the people we do know. Most all molestations (notice I didn't say all) are done by people you know, family,friends, associates etc. not the stranger down the street. It's really not something you see in the news all the time here. As for wages and housing, that's been debated and talked to death here, yes there is a gap but it's slowly getting better. Also you have to decide what is expensive to you, everybody's different.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:48 PM

9 posts, read 71,886 times
That is true.. you do need to worry about the ones close to your kids even the ones you think that wouldn't.. ex' priests.

Well I would hate to move there and it would be worse then here. But I then I guess we would move again. Just would like to find a nice town with good schools, low crime (by the way, is crime bad there?). Growing up in the plains, I hate huge cities and like open spaces and not too many people.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Take a look at the Missoulain newspaper. Most all crimes are printed in the papers in this state. Outside Missoula would be where there are less people and more open space.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:21 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,445 times
The town still has a bad rep with alot of people in the state because Missoula had pollution issues in the 70s and 80s. Also, it is a liberal town so many Montanans will find any reason they can to bash it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula