U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-17-2011, 11:44 AM

828 posts, read 460,000 times
Are the Tree-Huggers really taking over Missoula ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-17-2011, 10:49 PM

1,181 posts, read 1,241,161 times
The lumberjack song...
‪Monty Python- Lumberjack Song FULL‬‏ - YouTube

Unread 09-11-2011, 12:21 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,344,157 times
Interesting thread, I always wanted to visit Montana and Missoula was the one place in the state I wanna visit. After reading this whole thread, I still want to visit. I haven't been turned off at all.

Unread 09-17-2011, 12:29 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,229,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo67 View Post
Missoula is very friendly when you come to visit - as we did about a dozen times before deciding to move here. Jovs seemed likely as we are both college educated profressionals with a strong work ethic and background. We've opened a buisness and while everyone thinks it's a much needed service in the area -- people don't want to pay -- why can't I have it freeeee? but hey I have this for sale that you might want. Hmm how am I supposed to buy your product if you won't buy mine?
Time will tell -- make sure you have at least a years expenses put away before you come and have a job before you get here.
...................I know this post is almost 1 1/2 yrs old................but I'd love to know if .."flamingo 67" got their "business going,....or as is so often the case:....after one winter & expectations that were not met.........they returned to their former state of residence?.......Just wondering!!!!!

I'm guessing that maybe their dozen visits were during months other than Dec, Jan & Feb??........

What ever the case......................I wish them luck.

Unread 09-20-2011, 10:37 PM

114 posts, read 115,621 times
I really like Missoula. It's an interesting town, people-wise. You go to parts of downtown, you might think you are in a hippie commune. You go to Wal-Mart, you might think you stepped into an episode of Twin Peaks (or Deliverance :P). Everyone I've interacted with has been really nice (except for a few older rich people...probably from California, amirite???)

Anyways, I always enjoy visiting my mom up there! It's a nice break from the big-city life. Beautiful city, tons of outdoor stuff to do, (seems to be) a solid art community, and of course Griz games! Definitely worth checking out.

Unread 10-23-2011, 12:44 PM

61 posts, read 57,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdesigns View Post
Hello from Maryland, My husband and I are recently retired from the military and looking to move to MT. our concern is how diverse is Missoula? So many people are moving from Maryland because we are now a "sanctuary state" and you literally have to bolt things down on your property so it will not be stolen or looking over your shoulder all the time.Besides that it has become such a bailout state thanks to the progressives that are a cancer to the republic that the economy has tanked due to so many undeserving entitlements for illegals and those who have abused the welfare system for years.I see the ratio of nationalities in the city but they are two years old and we want to know how and if it has become worse as far as crime and illegal immagration? Thank you.
I've also lived in MD and noticed the same exact thing (don't point it out in the MD forum though - you'll incur more personal attacks than you can shake a stick at!) I've lived and worked in Bozeman and spent time in both Dillon and Missoula with old coworkers. I enjoyed all of these areas, but Missoula does strike me as being more liberal than the rest of the state. I loved the sleepy town feeling of Dillon, and Bozeman has access to some really great skiing. I loved the fact that in Bozeman you could still find mom and pop stores, and the wide assortment of pawn shops was a pleasant surprise. Missoula has a very skater boi vibe to it, and I saw quite a few elder hippies and suicide girls walking about. If you like that kind of thing then you'll be right at home in Missoula. If not, then you may find the other areas of the state to be more to your liking. I don't think that you'll encounter much of the thug element anywhere in Montana, if at all. It's one of the reasons why I accepted an assignment out there at the time, and I haven't even looked in the east coast's direction since (though I'm currently on assignment in California and can't wait to get back up to MT.) If you want to get away from the things that you've listed then I will HIGHLY recommend the move out west based on personal experience. Be willing to adjust to MT and do not try to make MT adjust to you. Montanans are amazing people, but they do not take kindly to outsiders coming in and trying to change (i.e. wreck) their good way of life.

Unread 10-23-2011, 12:50 PM

61 posts, read 57,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT View Post
92% white bad???? and ALL Caucasian,
now that's racist imagine saying it the other way around
Exactly. I'm a minority and I had no problem at all in Montana. As a matter of fact, I look forward to returning to the state. You'll find your share of idiots no matter where you go, but Montana strikes me as a very accepting place overall as long as you don't make an ass of yourself or try to impose upon the community.

Unread 10-23-2011, 07:29 PM

114 posts, read 115,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlynx View Post
Exactly. I'm a minority and I had no problem at all in Montana. As a matter of fact, I look forward to returning to the state. You'll find your share of idiots no matter where you go, but Montana strikes me as a very accepting place overall as long as you don't make an ass of yourself or try to impose upon the community.
Me and my wife (she's Filipino, though born and raised in Toronto) just went to Missoula a month ago or so, to visit my mom. She was shocked by how not out-of-place/normal she felt in Missoula, despite it being more than 90% white. She said she's felt way more out of place/unwelcome in majority-white cities in East Texas and Louisiana...or even College Station, for that matter. And I agree, I didn't notice anyone treating her differently for the week we were there...I can't even say the same for down here in Houston sometimes.

Unread 10-26-2011, 09:12 PM

119 posts, read 206,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlynx View Post
Cheers!
I wish you nothing but good luck shadow and hopefully if i can finally make it out of the crap hole of montreal canada we will meet in Mizou one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapasmurf76 View Post
, despite it being more than 90% white.
unfortunately big papa according to the demographic numbers from city-data the white population as gone down from 93.5% in 2000 to 89.39% today.
Fortunately the minorities witch are coming to MT seems to be quality people like your wife and Shadowlynx .BTW i was born in T.O.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula