U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:16 PM

660 posts, read 805,456 times

Advertisements

Coeur d'Alene might be a good choice for the OP -- very outdoorsy and pretty conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
I've been out to Montana many, many times and would often go to Missoula to shop and stay occasionally. We stayed mostly down the road in Victor and for a short time lived in Hamilton way back in 1975.

You should realize that Montana can get cold much of the year and the rainfall is sparse and it is quite cloudy much of the year. The last time I checked the prices of real estate had gotten pretty zoomy in that area as well. South of Missoula it is known as the "banana belt" in that is located between the Bitterroot and the Sapphire Mountains. You'll probably need a 4x4 in the winter months.

My personal opinion is that if I were going to move to Montana and we seriously considered retiring there for the beauty I would look instead to Kalispell. That is up near the Flathead lake and there is beauty aplenty and you are closer to Glacier there as well. Up the road is White Fish and very nice.

When we lived and visited there we never, to my knowledge saw or heard of any particular discrimination that comes to mind. I'm not sure why that would be a problem although you would know that better than me. I've never understood or experienced a particular bias toward Jews, myself. Two of our neighbors are Jewish although they are not here on a full time basis. I'll have to ask them the next time I have occasion to talk to them.

I always liked Bozeman but it may be liberal in that it is also a college town. Billings doesn't have the beauty but is probably more conservative.

I would also look at the Coeur d'Alene, Idaho area and Sandpoint, Idaho. Very pretty.Are you sure about the state income tax? I don't believe there is a sales tax there.You might want to double check that out for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 02:40 AM

3,244 posts, read 3,987,662 times
Wow, just read this post over a year after I posted it.. Once again, Montana, Idaho or somewhere more conservative and sane is on my mind. I was always not likely the extreme radical liberalism of the state, but with I-594 passing which now compromises my freedoms and is the precursor to strip me of my gun rights, I know it's time to pack my bags and move on.

The 9th Spade.. Your post is insightful. Sorry to hear if I try to hit on a girl in Montana I am considered a sexual predator. How do single people end up dating in Montana, assuming you didn't have a high school marriage, if you are not allowed to ask women on dates? Sounds, a bit awkward. Are all romantic encounters a result of drunkenness and rapes in Montana? I'm thinking it cannot be. Still, I do like your the information you shared about Missoula and cultural diversity. If Missoula is a the type of liberal town where a guy can have strong controversial beliefs and is NOT seen as a nazi who should be burned alive , like in Seattle, then I would say I could live with that breed. I am looking for a place that is accepting . I wouldn't want to live in a place so backwoodsy that they think if you are against GMO food you are a commie. There is idiocy on every side.

I appreciate everyone's responses, even the naysayers who felt I was being unfair. Still, you spent time sharing your opinons with me, which I can respect. I'm a big fan of dialogue. Another weakness of Seattle's, reserved, closed, passive-aggressive culture I loathe.

To the Jewish guy, Pixiebob, who says I want attention, Last I checked, I was't wearing my Tallit and Kippa around town davening out loud for all the town to hear. Sorry, I just thought your post was kinda silly, humorous .. Good Jewish humor :P Jews are a minority, there are more blacks than Jews in the USA.. Are we the most oppressed? Totally, different topic, will not go there in this thread.

BTW.. PixieBob, I am proud of what I am, not that I go out of my way to shove it in people's faces. However, if you ask me what I am, I will say I am a Jew and I am proud. This is America, we should be free, not slaves of fascists who try to enforce their dogma and bigotry upon us.

P.S.
1.5 years later I have done lot more research about the tax situation and living costs of these states. I can see Montana and Idaho have quite a heavy tax burden for someone in my situation. I'm a small business and the 7-8% state income tax these states have will hurt me a bit. Montana seems to have higher property rents , although CDA

I am considering the CDA area, despite all its negatives.. I'm sure it is paradise lost and is now a big conglomeration of sub-divisions and mini malls and yuppie California transplants, among the few freedom loving Idaho-at-heart transplants, but well, no matter how bad it is, it's probably heck of a lot better than here . I was surprised but with State Income Tax, living in CDA is not much different than the North Sound or South Sound, but bit cheaper than Seattle proper. Obviously, I Cannot believe wages cover the costs of housing there. It must be full retirees, wealthy elitists and vacationers. Not sure if anyone in my age group even lives in the town, probably mostly older married folk who transplanted. There is always Spokane, but I hear its a scary town and has as much or more crime than Tacoma.

I would love to go hiking in those Selkirk mountains and Cabinet mountains , spend time on Priest Lake or Pend O'Reille. The gun range near CDA looks like one of best I have ever seen and so close to town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula