Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 10:02 AM

297 posts, read 792,067 times

Advertisements

I apologize if my use of the word "diversity" offended either the OP or ElkHunter. I didn't mean it in any woo-woo politically correct way, just in the plain ol' Webster's Dictionary way. Certainly a town can be ethnically diverse and not be welcoming; conversely, a place can be homogenous yet welcoming. One of the best descriptions I've ever read of Missoula was that "it's a melting pot that refuses to melt," and in a good way. We also have a small yet strong Native American presence.

About international food, do I hear you! Cookbooks are my best friends. And it doesn't take much for me to be convinced to take a trip to Spokane, Washington (~ a 3-hour drive) for shopping and to eat at the Indian buffet restaurant on Division Street. But that's another post for another forum.

Thought of some other things to do in Missoula. We have a few craft beerfests every year that are fun. There's a Celtic Festival in the summer that, while it doesn't compare to the madness that is St. Patrick's Day in Butte, is good too.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:52 PM

9 posts, read 150,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGyrl View Post
I apologize if my use of the word "diversity" offended either the OP or ElkHunter. I didn't mean it in any woo-woo politically correct way, just in the plain ol' Webster's Dictionary way. Certainly a town can be ethnically diverse and not be welcoming; conversely, a place can be homogenous yet welcoming. One of the best descriptions I've ever read of Missoula was that "it's a melting pot that refuses to melt," and in a good way. We also have a small yet strong Native American presence.

About international food, do I hear you! Cookbooks are my best friends. And it doesn't take much for me to be convinced to take a trip to Spokane, Washington (~ a 3-hour drive) for shopping and to eat at the Indian buffet restaurant on Division Street. But that's another post for another forum.

Thought of some other things to do in Missoula. We have a few craft beerfests every year that are fun. There's a Celtic Festival in the summer that, while it doesn't compare to the madness that is St. Patrick's Day in Butte, is good too.
I don't think Elkhunter was offended by you actually using the word "diversity", MontanaGyrl, and you certainly didn't offend me. (((HUGS))) I'm not a fan of political-correctness and hate how the word "diversity" has been used as a sound bite to promote political correctness.

I used to have a shelf full of cookbooks but haven't used them in a very long time but plan on getting back to that, because in addition to learning recipes for international cuisines, I plan on learning to cook foods that are more alkaline-based, since those foods are very helpful for acid-reflux, which I have and I really want to quit taking medicine for them.

Spokane is only three hours away? Cool. You mention shopping, so I take it they have some good places to shop (in addition to the Indian buffet restaurant?)

I'm glad you mentioned the craft beer fests, because my hubby is connoisseur of exotic beers, especially dark, full bodied ones. We will have to keep the beer fests in mind.

BTW, have you heard of the Montana Vortex? I only heard of it a few months ago and if you've ever been there, would like to hear about your experience there.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:38 PM

92,188 posts, read 122,439,279 times
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this, but look into Great Falls. Malmstrom AFB brings diversity to that area and will have more of a Black population than other areas in the state. According to the 2010 census, the base had 3472 people and was 9.1% Black, 11% Hispanic, 1.8% Asian, 1% Native American and 6.3% of two or more races. If you include those that are Black and Black and something else, the percentage is at 11.8%. So, that may be the area in Montana to look into, as it is just outside of Great Falls. Great Falls itself has about 1100 people that are Black/part Black as well. You can find this information on the American FactFinder US Census page.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Shalom LA City Girl! I am glad I could be of help to you and glad my original post was an inspiration to make your own post. Actually, I was happy to see your post, as I feel we both are in a similar situation.
Hi there, RotseCherut!

I totally agree about us being in a similar situation, and appreciate how the Jewish people thrive in whatever community they are in, even if they have been few in number in that community (I love Jewish people and have studied their history and culture over the last several years.)

Quote:
For your information, I spent half a year in Africa, so I can truly identify with you about your anxiety of being a minority in a place where people look different. At least you speak the same language and dialect as people in Montana. I will say from my experience, the one most important thing about moving to an area with a different culture, where you may stick out a bit, is to try your best to blend in, learn the lingo, the way of life and learn what subjects are best to avoid talking about. In Montana, you will be somewhat of a novelty, so if people stare it will be out of curiosity and interest than anything else.
This is excellent advice. My hubby has been pretty good at letting me know what to expect when I get to Montana. I think it helps the fact that we both have the same values, which is why I was open to moving to Montana. I don't see myself having a hard time relating to the people there, since they have a slower pace of life and don't have the superficial mentality that is prevalent here in L.A.

Quote:
I think the suggestions of Missoula are great, as this would obviously be a very accepting place. Missoula has had that reputation of open-mindedness and diversity, being a hippy, liberal , college town. The only issue I have with the town is I feel it may be a bit to liberal for a more right-wingish person like myself. However, it is still Montana and I know the consensus of Montanans in general is co-existence and accepting people of different religious, political and social views. This is a great benefit of places like Montana and Northern Idaho versus Washington and even Oregon, where people can be very vigilant and ostracize you for not thinking like they do.
My hubby and I are conservative as well, which is one of the reasons why he hates L.A. We decided on Missoula, because even though it's liberal, he said the same as you, that the people are more accepting of interracial relationships. On a side note, even though Missoula is liberal/leftist, he said it's not nearly as bad as L.A., which is one of the reasons why he hates it here so much.

Quote:
Anyway, I hope you enjoy MOntana.. I am considering North Idaho now possibly, because it is quite a bit cheaper I am discovering and there is a lot of beauty there and the beautiful mountains of Montana are just an hour drive away. Although, I am still considering Montana.. Going to do more research.
Thank you. It's funny you mention North Idaho being cheap, because when I started pricing apartments and houses in Missoula, I was absolutely blown away that you can buy a big, brand new house in Missoula for $300,000 whereas that same house would go for well over $500,000 in L.A. A two-bedroom luxury apartments in Missoula for $700, compared to $1,500 in L.A. I know on the flip side, the wages paid in Missoula are a lot less than what is made in California, but still the cheapness of housing is staggering in my mind!

Mazel tov to whatever city you ultimately decide to settle in. Uprooting oneself is never an easy thing to do, leaving one's comfort zone.

Quote:
You may also consider Coeur d'Alene/Sandpoint area.. Don't write off Bozeman, Livingston or even Billings. These are all areas I am considering living.
I had asked my hubby if he wanted to live in Bozeman but he said it's much smaller than Missoula and off the beaten path whereas Missoula isn't.

Quote:
I also thought you may want to know the Rabbi at synagogue in Bozeman, who is an Orthodox Jew, who openly walks around in Jewish religious garb, told me he loves people of Montana and says they are not racist. He told me they are very accepting, friendly and live and let live people. These are good words coming from a guy who probably looks very exotic to the average Montanan.
That is very cool...thanks for sharing about the Rabbi. He sounds like a good-hearted man, the people he lives around sound nice. Reading about this Rabbi waking around in his religious clothes reminds me of the days when I lived in Hollywood and had to run errands on Saturday mornings and depending on the neighborhood I was in, would see the Jewish people all dressed up and walking to their synagogue. That is a little slice of L.A. life I will miss.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this, but look into Great Falls. Malmstrom AFB brings diversity to that area and will have more of a Black population than other areas in the state. According to the 2010 census, the base had 3472 people and was 9.1% Black, 11% Hispanic, 1.8% Asian, 1% Native American and 6.3% of two or more races. If you include those that are Black and Black and something else, the percentage is at 11.8%. So, that may be the area in Montana to look into, as it is just outside of Great Falls. Great Falls itself has about 1100 people that are Black/part Black as well. You can find this information on the American FactFinder US Census page.
ckhthankgod,

Thanks for your suggestion.

It's funny you mention Great Falls as an option to relocate. Being that's my husband's hometown, he concurs with everything you've said about the majority of Montana's black population are in Great Falls. He was really shocked to see the 2010 statistics you posted that showed the population of Malmstrom AFB is 3,472 people. He said when he was living there (his formative years being in the 1970's) the population was over 10,000.

We never considered Great Falls, mainly because my hubby hates the extreme weather there especially the winters, since Great Falls is in the plains. He said in contrast since Missoula is surrounded by mountains, the weather is more mild in comparison.

He also mentioned how most of the young people growing up in Great Falls usually move away and never come back, while at the same time Malmstrom employees will retire there. He said because of this, the population of Great Falls has more or less stayed the same.

His mother still lives there, so I will have the opportunity to check out Great Falls, which I am looking forward to.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:10 PM

28 posts, read 38,269 times
not to thread-jack, but can anyone speak to general aspects of diversity & socializing/night life in Helena? I'm considering applying for a job there-- (& I'm a single guy, no kids/family)

Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 AM

297 posts, read 792,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.CityGirl View Post
Spokane is only three hours away? Cool. You mention shopping, so I take it they have some good places to shop (in addition to the Indian buffet restaurant?)
While Missoula has, in the decades I've lived here, gotten many more fun places to shop, Spokane still has a few I enjoy that Mizzoo doesn't have -- Trader Joe's (ohmigosh, can I fill my car there around the holidays!), Ulta, and the quirky Boo Radley's downtown, although Missoula's Rockin' Rudy's is similar. Then there are the restaurants.

Quote:
I'm glad you mentioned the craft beer fests, because my hubby is connoisseur of exotic beers, especially dark, full bodied ones. We will have to keep the beer fests in mind.
Ooh, besides the brewfests, Missoula has a fair number of local breweries such as Big Sky Brewing Co., home of the famous -- and I mean famous -- Moose Drool, Kettlehouse Brewing, and others. I was just at Kettlehouse the other day with my sister who was visiting from out of town and she filled up a growler with Lake Missoula Amber for her husband and was amazed at how cheap it was for such good beer. Kettlehouse makes Cold Smoke, which is my absolute fave beer to use in stews. Makes the best gravy.

Shoot, now I'm getting hungry.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:49 PM

8,083 posts, read 15,090,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I also thought you may want to know the Rabbi at synagogue in Bozeman, who is an Orthodox Jew, who openly walks around in Jewish religious garb...
Cool! BTW, where the heck IS the synagogue?

Oh, howdy, L.A.CityGirl What Elk said!!

Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGyrl View Post
While Missoula has, in the decades I've lived here, gotten many more fun places to shop, Spokane still has a few I enjoy that Mizzoo doesn't have -- Trader Joe's (ohmigosh, can I fill my car there around the holidays!), Ulta, and the quirky Boo Radley's downtown, although Missoula's Rockin' Rudy's is similar. Then there are the restaurants.

Ooh, besides the brewfests, Missoula has a fair number of local breweries such as Big Sky Brewing Co., home of the famous -- and I mean famous -- Moose Drool, Kettlehouse Brewing, and others. I was just at Kettlehouse the other day with my sister who was visiting from out of town and she filled up a growler with Lake Missoula Amber for her husband and was amazed at how cheap it was for such good beer. Kettlehouse makes Cold Smoke, which is my absolute fave beer to use in stews. Makes the best gravy.

Shoot, now I'm getting hungry.
Sorry I'm late in replying. I was disappointed to see there were no Trader Joe's in Missoula. They're all over the place here and I LOVE shopping there! I'm so glad to know I can still access one, even though it means I have to drive 3 hours to get my Trader Joe's fix, lol!

My hubby loves Moose Drool! They sell it in one of the supermarkets we shop at. Not only are your posts making me hungry but now they make me want to go to Trader's Joes, LOL!

Old 08-14-2013, 11:45 AM

8,083 posts, read 15,090,166 times
I was amazed that with all the yuppie stuff now in Bozeman, there's still no Trader Joe's! That's the one store I miss from SoCal. Oh, try their house brand hot chocolate, if you like it to taste like chocolate and nothing else! Hey, TJ's, Bozeman is centrally located, more or less...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula