Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2013, 05:42 PM

42 posts, read 99,778 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am likely moving to Missoula in the next year or two and have some questions about internet service. I work from home so I need reliable high-speed internet that can handle cloud applications, VOIP, and occasional video streaming. It's been a long time since I lived in a college town, but I remember when I was in school the internet would often be unusable for a few weeks after the students returned. How reliable are the internet service providers in Missoula? Are there problems with bandwith when students return? What are my choices for high speed internet access and how reliable is each provider?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 09:46 AM

297 posts, read 794,666 times
I'm very happy with cable internet through Charter (was Optimum, name just changed recently or it was bought out, forget which, service is the same). There is no Comcast here. Do NOT get DSL through the phone company -- we thought the internet service was terrible, besides being much slower than cable. When we had DSL it would drop out twice a day like clockwork. We called a service tech who blamed the wiring in our older house. ??? Thing is, we knew people across town in new houses that had the same problem. I loathed DSL service and have loved cable through Charter/Optimum. I don't notice any difference when the university is in session or not.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:25 PM

Good to know - I would probably go with cable modem over DSL. Thank you for the reply.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:06 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyricvt View Post
Good to know - I would probably go with cable modem over DSL. Thank you for the reply.
I live a couple of miles west of Rt #93 and 50 miles south of Missoula on the floor of the Bitterroot Valley.........NO Cable service of any kind.........Best way to go is: Verizon Jet Pack (pick up signal from Verizon Tower}. You may be able to get cable if you live right off of the Highway...or in town.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:06 PM

i would definitely be living in town...it sounds like there is cable there.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:55 PM

35 posts, read 75,730 times
Agreed. Never go with DSL unless you have no other choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula