Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 12:06 PM

10,227 posts, read 13,733,852 times

Advertisements

Threerun, money is not everything but you also can't eat scenery. I've heard many accurate descriptions of western Montana and one that rings true to me is "poverty with a view."

Nwbound, I'm not aware of any place that is too dangerous in Missoula but I will warn you to stay away from Lambros Real Estate, especially if you rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 02:30 PM

836 posts, read 1,486,980 times
I feel the quality of life in MT (in general) outweighs the financial negatives.

(I say "in general" because it's snowing like heck and we already have a couple feet of it on the ground here in Missoula and I am ready for spring.)

Yes, we made more money living elsewhere, but I would rather enjoy my surroundings than sit in the middle of a concrete black hole with nothing to do but go shopping. And we get by just fine here, then again we're not in debt and not concerned with having a lot of stuff.

Anyway, I know a lot of folks don't feel that way, and that's cool. I find most Montanans are not into acquiring and showing off their material possessions, like people you find in other locations. The lack of consumerist culture is one of the positives of living here, imo.

P.S. Your house is only a dump if you think it is. Dump sweet dump.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 AM

19,376 posts, read 22,315,065 times
No doubt you can't eat scenery, but a modest wage in a rural climate is often more rewarding than a higher salary in an urban jungle.

We spent a week in Colorado over the holidays with the wifes family, her mom lives in Estes Park. We drove into Longmont a few times during the week and it reminded why I came to MT.

I was offered a job in Denver and one here in Helena at the same time. Even though my wife's family lives in Longmont and Estes Park, there is no way I would ever want to work in downtown Denver, even though the pay would have been higher- I simply cannot hack that urban/suburban thing.. 12 hours drive time to family is good enough for me!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 PM

10,227 posts, read 13,733,852 times
Then I feel lucky for my situation. A decent salary in a rural area. Still not rich but enough to not be in poverty. Threerun, I hope you're in the same situation!

Old 01-04-2011, 02:11 PM

19,376 posts, read 22,315,065 times
I am. I am very fortunate in that my wife was able to stay home for a good many years and I could provide for my family on my wages. It's not been easy, but we still managed to save a little too. Used to heat the home in WV with wood, we kept a freezer full of venison and butchered hogs, we drive used cars...

And I know we're better off than a lot of others, so I am grateful and humbled.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:05 PM

43 posts, read 82,450 times
Be glad you didn't move to Denver because Rocky Flats is 16 mi from downtown and a really bad nuclear waste site. Another reason MT is so awesome, they said no to nuclear. To me nuclear waste is the ultimate contamination and is the most difficult to get rid of, if ever.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:02 PM
CTC

666 posts, read 1,457,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbound27 View Post
Be glad you didn't move to Denver because Rocky Flats is 16 mi from downtown and a really bad nuclear waste site. Another reason MT is so awesome, they said no to nuclear. To me nuclear waste is the ultimate contamination and is the most difficult to get rid of, if ever.
Rocky Flats has been closed for years and recently completed remediation.
A lot of time and money was spent to complete the closure

you might be interested in this link from the CDPHE

Rocky Flats Site

Old 01-12-2011, 10:06 AM

43 posts, read 82,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
Rocky Flats has been closed for years and recently completed remediation.
A lot of time and money was spent to complete the closure

you might be interested in this link from the CDPHE

Rocky Flats Site

If there has been complete remediation(I'm not exactly sure what that means), why is it still on the National Priority's List as of Nov. 29, 2010: Final NPL Sites - by State | National Priorities List (NPL) | US EPA

I know that funds have been cut and regulations change, so I am very cynical when it comes to what the government believes is OK, especially with nuclear waste. Whatever they have buried years ago, has leaked out and how do you clean that up if you ever can. When the scientists where asked by congress how long should we be able to store this type of material and their response was 1 million yrs. The best container we have at present is maybe 300 yrs and the old stuff that is buried has long since degraded.
I read that in Washington state they used some of the stimulus money to evalute the Hanford site. The cheapest way with the available funds was with a helicopter and they found contamination, but how precise is that method on such a large site?

We have done a good job of contaminating most everywhere. I wish I could be more optimistic.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 782 times
Lived in Missoula for 2 years, and I would say that you shouldn't believe all the negative hype. I grew up in the Northeast and I would argue that we had more grey days in Southern New England than I had in Missoula in my 2 years there. Yes Eastern Montana has more sunshine, but also is a big flat nothing so who gives a **** if there is more sun. I never smelled the mill, maybe I'm crazy but that's just the truth. The smoke can be bad during fire season, but all of the other beautiful seasons make up for it. I traveled around the entire state of Montana many times and I can say, without question, that Missoula is the best city. Hiking is great, the beer kicks ass, and the people are unique and accepting. Move there, you won't regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula