Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,392 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking for a home to rent at least 3 bedrooms, but we are having a very hard time finding a place that will rent to us because we have a Pitbull. She is amazing almost 7 years old with a ton of references. Where we are right now is just too small. Any suggestions ? The only luck we have had is with one company, but the house is out of the way, all the other options seem to be slum lords... It's becoming very frustrating. Any advise on the topic would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 PM

34 posts, read 88,720 times
I have empathy for your situation but no help! We had a hard enough time finding a rental that would take CATS. And plural is worse than one. I know all Pitbulls are not the same but the stigma is there. Where we live, it's a hodge podge, as some places are rentals, some are owned, and situations vary. And they are small. Some rentals will accept animals and some will not. I could not recommend this complex per se because some people are not responsible and let their dogs off leash here. Since the complex also has quite a few young kids, the Pitbull thing can be dicey. I can see some other dog causing trouble but yours getting the blame, just because of the breed.

My SO found some other places but yeah, slum lord units fits the description. Anything of any size with three bedrooms is really, really expensive and probably has "no pets."

I have never encountered a rental situation like this one. And if they will consider a pet, then they want an additional deposit AND more rent per month. Yet I can get around Missoula and still see some units that are for rent. You'd think with good references, they'd be better off filling that space but no, it won't be considered.

We did not find this rental via a company- I looked at Craig's List and happened upon it and had the SO check it out. I would never recommend Craig's List normally, but this one happened to be represented by an agent that wasn't part of a company. Just be very, very careful. I tend to prefer renting through companies as they keep landlords from doing stuff, too. But this one worked out.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:34 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,523,752 times
If she is truly a fine animal, refer to her as a Staffordshire Terrier.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:47 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
Apartment and decent homes in decent neighborhoods are going to turn down any renter that resembles a Pitt Bull. Reason they have to protect themselves, from law suites. A Pitt Bull is known as a vicious dog, and if they rent to someone and and a neighbor gets bitten, the property owner will be ostracized and very probably sued for allowing the dog to move into the neighborhood.

So for safety's sake, they will simply not rent to the owner of a Pitt Bull, or any dog that resembles one. I am speaking as one with 30 years experience as a commercial real estate broker, and the president for 3 years of a large county wide rental owners and managers association. We had a annual all day conference for members and others in the rental business, and this is something that the lawyers that spoke to us, or were part of a round table for questions advised against every year.

If you own other rentals in the neighborhood, bring in a tenant with a Pitt Bull, and you will lose other tenants that are not going to live with a family around a Pitt Bull.

This may sound mean to you, but is simply a fact of life in the rental market place. Some towns in the country, have passed ordinances against Pitt Bulls even being inside the city limits. If you want to live in Missoula, you may have to get rid of your dog.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:48 PM

15 posts, read 35,593 times
What the others said... bottom line is that your options are very limited. I'd consider purchasing a home if you want to keep your dog.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,556 times
Looking for a place to rent thats $800.00 a month max that will allow a German shepherded and my pit bull both house broke and very friendly. My email is [email]kowens21.hope@gmail.com[/email] thanks

Old 12-31-2015, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,556 times
Default asap thanks

I'm looking for a place now i need to move can't have my pit where im at they don't allow the breed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula