U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 8,388 times

Advertisements

My husband is planning on starting grad school in the fall at UMT. I'm trying to work out a budget since we'll be taking a significant cut in income. I've gotten a good feel for what things rent for, and I can't imagine food is much higher there than here (greater Baton Rouge), and gas might be higher, but he won't have to be tanking the car up more than once a week, so I figure that will balance out.

What do utilities run? I know, of course, winter electric will be higher-- but I really have no idea what to expect. Our highest electric bills in a 2br apt down here were around 200 dollars. Does that sound about right?

What do I need to know? Any areas of town that would be a bad idea for us to try to live in with kids?

As a native Wisconsinite, I am SO excited about having winter again. Are the autumns spectacular as well? Does anyone know what there is in the way of a homeschooling community?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 08:55 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,909,801 times
I don't think Missoula has a "bad side of town" ! Your electric bill would be less in Missoula than where you are. Wages are real low here.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 8,388 times
Thanks! I grew up in a town the size of Missoula, and I am excited to get out of the metro. We're going to be poor regardless for awhile, with him in school-- but wages are pretty low here for his field, so that's nothing really new.

Missoula is fairly easy to get around without a vehicle, isn't it?

Thanks again.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:17 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,549,626 times
If you like the food in BR bring your own spices and ingredients and hope you can cook! Most eateries in MT pretty much bite unless it's meat and potatoes kind of food.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:40 AM

1,368 posts, read 5,978,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnamehere View Post
Thanks! I grew up in a town the size of Missoula, and I am excited to get out of the metro. We're going to be poor regardless for awhile, with him in school-- but wages are pretty low here for his field, so that's nothing really new.

Missoula is fairly easy to get around without a vehicle, isn't it?

Thanks again.
I don't know their mass transit system, but I'm sure you can locate yourself close enough to campus to not need a vehicle for that purpose, and that'll also keep you close to grocery stores, etc.

Missoula is sprawling enough though that I think I'd want a vehicle, just in case.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 PM

369 posts, read 1,302,870 times
jimj says:
Quote:
Most eateries in MT pretty much bite unless it's meat and potatoes kind of food.
I'm not sure what jimj is talking about! Gumbo we don't have, but there are some mighty fine places to eat in Missoula and some inexpensive ones too.

Rickers opines:
Quote:
I don't think Missoula has a "bad side of town" !
Well he's wrong. The north side is an area subject to all sorts of petty and major crime. Stay out of East Missoula. I'm serious here and you can check the Sunday Missoulian for the stats and plot the occurances. Check into University Housing. Hundreds of nice units on the "good side of town".

Old 04-08-2008, 09:59 PM

189 posts, read 486,835 times
I second the northside as being the worst part of town. And stay out of East Missoula as there is no sunshine at all in the winter time (Mt Jumbo/Mt Sentinel will block the southern sun).

Electric bills have many variables. If you are in the middle floor of a three story apartment complex, it will be much cheaper than a large single story house. I paid about 550/month for a 2 bed 1 bath duplex with a garage in a nice quite neighborhood.

I enjoy the fall in Missoula due to the golden larch in the surrounding mountains, but I haven't been there since black mountain burned.

There will be some smoky air in august, and polluted air in the winter.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:22 PM

139 posts, read 421,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
jimj says:

I'm not sure what jimj is talking about! Gumbo we don't have, but there are some mighty fine places to eat in Missoula and some inexpensive ones too.

Rickers opines:

Well he's wrong. The north side is an area subject to all sorts of petty and major crime. Stay out of East Missoula. I'm serious here and you can check the Sunday Missoulian for the stats and plot the occurances. Check into University Housing. Hundreds of nice units on the "good side of town".
Okay, she's gonna get confused, you've mentioned the Northside and East Missoula....she's going to see that the Campus is in the North East corner of the city and freak out.

There are bad neighborhoods along the Interstate, and in the very center of the city. So don't freak out, too much, as there is some housing around the campus that students have been renting for as long as I've been alive.
As far as alternate transportation, bring your bikes, Missoula is a cyclist's dream and a driver's nightmare. Sometimes, those roles reverse themselves, but all in all a good town for cycling.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:39 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,549,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
jimj says:

Notice I didn't say "all". I've eaten all over the U.S. and am married to a chef and cook alot myself so I tend to be a little more critical. Sanitation is a major issue here and I could go through a whole littany of food that's not available here or if available is a poor representation of what it should be. We have talked with many people and the general consensus is that most of this state is about as diverse as vanilla ice cream so without the diversity you're not going to get the actuall food either.
Need I also mention that produce here unless you buy at the farmers market is not of the best quality? This is the first place I've ever had to buy cucumbers that bend like rubber. I don't blame the stores, it just takes alot of time to ship things here so they sit on a truck for a while.
Again, I'm not saying that ALL the eateries are bad but you really have to dig to find the gems unless you want meat and potatoes or fast/chain food.
On the upside though, we found a GREAT sushi place in bigfork not long ago! Not Montanaized sushi but close to the real deal....

Old 04-09-2008, 09:56 AM

369 posts, read 1,302,870 times
jimj says:

Quote:
Again, I'm not saying that ALL the eateries are bad but you really have to dig to find the gems unless you want meat and potatoes or fast/chain food.
Let me help you out for the next time you are in town:

Red Bird, Pearl, The Keep (formerly Shadow's Keep), River City Grill, The Depot, Romeo's Italian Kitchen, Guy's Steak House (Lolo), Ciao Mambo, China Gardens Restaurant, Kadena's. These are moderately expensive to expensive and, my opinion, many are fine, fine, restuarants. Neither my wife or I are chefs, but we've eaten in fine restsurants on 4 continents.

jimj says:

Quote:
Sanitation is a major issue here and I could go through a whole littany of food that's not available here or if available is a poor representation of what it should be.
Well Jim, guilty as charged! I haven't done a salmonella count in any of these places, but I'm still on the green side of the grass. You are correct again, we rarely if ever get spargle in Montana, reh steak und wild schwein is hard to find, truffles are a bit high priced and the kim che comes in cans. What's a body to do? Starve?!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula