U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 04:22 PM

17 posts, read 22,523 times

Advertisements

Have you considered Nevada? We have everything for liberals AND conservatives; medical marijuana, gays, guns, god, and gold. Lots of sunshine, low tax burden, and a gazillion square miles of empty desert to shoot in. Lots of gun shops with full auto irons to rent. Legal brothels (bring your own lysol/flamethrower). As long as you're not bothering other people, law enforcement will leave you alone to do whatever you want.

OMG and the seafood, cool ocean breezes, fishing, ... oh wait ...

Old 11-09-2015, 09:09 PM

3,266 posts, read 4,005,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrew View Post
Have you considered Nevada? We have everything for liberals AND conservatives; medical marijuana, gays, guns, god, and gold. Lots of sunshine, low tax burden, and a gazillion square miles of empty desert to shoot in. Lots of gun shops with full auto irons to rent. Legal brothels (bring your own lysol/flamethrower). As long as you're not bothering other people, law enforcement will leave you alone to do whatever you want.

OMG and the seafood, cool ocean breezes, fishing, ... oh wait ...
I've considered Nevada , funcrew, and who knows, maybe one day I will end up there. I will say though, growing up in the forests, Nevada would probably be a bit too deserty for me. Although ,if I had to choose again between Boise and Reno, maybe I would give Reno a shot, since, as you say, lot of places to shoot and doesn't have the draconian taxes that Idaho has. Nevada really does seem to be the truest right-wing libertarian stronghold of the nation. Girls, Gambling, Guns and G-d, what more can a guy ask for??

However, I really love the mountains and rugged wilderness of Montana. I always wanted to live in Alaska, but I know its really friggin cold and dark in Alaska so much of the year and I don't think I can take the darkness and 8-9 months of cold. Also, it's just so far off the grid. Montana seems to be the closet thing you can get to Alaska without being there. Well, the water, maybe is missing. Although, Montana has some spectacular rivers and lakes.

I like to eventually start hunting moose and elk and also thought living in Montana would be better for that new hobby I would like to eventually learn. I figure Montana would be a good place to learn those survival skills. I'd also like to eventually raise some cows and have a small little farm.. Probably not the easiest thing to do in Nevada either, as it is so desolate and barren.

I've also considered Northern Arizona, but it is extremely expensive and also quite desolate. It seems all the population in Arizona is where the fierce heat would be and I cannot take 6 months of 100+ weather. I'd rather have 6 months of freezing weather.

Utah has also been considered, but I still have great reservations living in a Mormon/LDS theocracy. Whether its officially or unofficially theocratic, which no one can deny the presence of LDS in Utah. I'm not saying its bad, but it's probably just not for me. Yes, I hear they don't have ultimate power and the freedoms have been improving, but the influence I hear still can be overbearing especially once you get out of Salt Lake. Being of a Jewish background, I don't think I would want to be living in some small Utahan town. I'd probably feel more comfortable in small town in Montana or Nevada, for that matter.

Anyway, I got my sights on Montana, but still open to other places. MTSilvertip has thoroughly convinced me to avoid Missoula like the plague and from what he told me I now agree with him fully.

Sad Missoula has fallen to the zombies.. I'm still looking at Billings and Bozeman. Kalispell looks really expensive with zero financial prospects. Not that if my home business venture fails, that I would be able to survive as a software guy in Montana at all.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:03 AM

202 posts, read 398,651 times
Heard a saying the other day...

"Missoula is just 30 minutes outside of Montana."

I laughed out loud. Because it is a correct satire.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:14 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,568,785 times
Missoula has been Berkeley North since I was a kid, so that ain't news!

Big, busy gun club there at Logan, and I've been told membership is real affordable. It's right on the road to Clarkston so when I lived there I drove by it often enough.

Billings area is not near as much desert as eastern Oregon/Washington or southern Idaho, and is just as close or closer to varied mountain/forest country.

Consider that if you're renting, you're not married to the town. If you don't like the first place you try -- you can leave and try somewhere else!

Old 11-14-2015, 08:16 PM

7,662 posts, read 8,950,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I am thinking of possibly relocating to Missoula now, because I would like to escape Seattle and move to a smaller nicer place and have always admired Montana. Sadly, I find that outside of Missoula there is very few rentals available this time of a year, as places like Whitefish, Bozeman, etc are very expensive and almost all for the very wealthy or vacationers. It seems that Missoula has some fairly affordable places and being a college town with a bit of an economy there are quite a few rentals available that are not excessively expensive.

My question is that I am escaping Seattle for many reasons. The crime is one, as I just had my car broken into last night and had $600 of stuff stolen. Supposedly, I live in a safe, small suburb farther from the city, but a bunch of pros hit my whole town last night while are incompetent police force slept through the whole thing , probably . A town of 6,000 really? These criminals broke into cars that were locked and didn't even break windows, they were quite professional and in and out so dang quick.

Another major reason I want to leave Seattle is its ultra liberal, anti-freedom, pro-BIG government and gun hating attitudes. The nazi like King County government and other nazi like liberal countries here in Washington has shut down my local gun range and has already succeeded at having other gun ranges in the area shut down. Also, due to overcrowding and too many stupid people combined with liberal, gun hating politicians, all the local shooting spots in the mountains are getting shut down. The shooting ranges that are in operation, I could swear, are being run by hired anti-gun liberal government agents. THese ranges have so many restrictions and treat every member like a criminal. I've never encountered such hostility by gun range staff and excessive rules until I moved to the Puget Sound. Basically, you have no where you can shoot anymore . Despite people fighting for 2A rights and carrying holstered weapons, everyone says you cannot practice draw shoot, as its too dangerous.. Here's what I like to ask these morons, you think people should carry holstered guns, but then restrict them from practicing the discipline of drawing from a holster and then you think it is safe for them to carry holstered weapons in public? It seems like our government and many of the liberal minded people here have waged war against gun owners and have succeed at making shooting so expensive and hard you cannot do it anymore. Only option is to go to overcrowded, overpriced and dangerous, toxic indoor ranges which I hate.

Now, I see the terrorist/traitor Michael Bloomberg is trying to save Montana from all the bloodshed and him and htis terrorist group Mothers Demand ACtion are trying to push an illegal law that violates Montana state law to demand unconstitutional background checks for all gun transfers. It is the first step for their draconian gun control to pretty much eliminate guns from Missoula, but this is where they start. It seems these liberal groups feed and thrive off of liberal places. Of course, Missoula having so much bloodshed, unlike Bloomberg's New York or other safe liberal cities like Chicago or Newark, they are in dire need for more gun control. Bunch of rednecks with guns? Oh no.. Only Michael Bloomberg and NYPD can be trusted! BLLEEEEHHHH!!! Gestapo!

I am wondering how much of these anti-gun laws are being perpetrated by the East Coast/Californian outsiders and immigrants to the state versus native Montanans, whether they be red/blue on the voting card. I would have thought even Montanan liberals wouldn't be so naive to support these insane measures. First, they ban guns in Missoula. Then, what will stop Mothers Against Blacks or Mothers Against Jews from pushing their own personal laws in another city that violate fedreal and state law? You can see why I hate this nazi-like /above the law type of measures these groups seek to carry out. Violate one right, other rights will follow!

Now, as far as the other reasons leaving Seattle besides being Anti-Gun/Anti-Freedom and Radically Liberal, the place is getting way too crowded, the prices are skyrocketing and even though it is business friendly, more and more radicals are moving here demanding income taxes, wage controls, housing price controls, etc. Even though violent crime is low, burglaries and most thefts (non-violent) are Misdemeanors and the counties always side with the criminals rather than the victims.

What would people in Missoula think of a guy who is right-winger? Is there places to shoot guns in Missoula? How are gun owners treated there? Are most of the people radical liberals who treat anyone who has a religion, owns and carries guns , believes in lower taxes, etc as they are a demon? Or, are they truly LIVE AND LET LIVE and can accept you don't think like them or vote like them , but can live at peace with you? IN Seattle, you will be hated and despised by most for not supporting every liberal cause and if you own guns that means you are a child murderer to most of them.

Pardon me for being bitter.. I just want to get the hell out of Seattle and go somewhere I can breathe . Would I be utterly hated in Missoula? I am the kind of guy who doesn't care so much if you are liberal as long as you keep your laws off of my freedoms and don't attack me because I don't believe in your politics or I have a religion.

P.S.

Before anyone says please look at Coeur d'Alene, just know I did and the place has become G-d awfully expensive and Idaho has freakin high taxes!!!! Is Idaho suppose to be conservative? I looked at MOntana's taxes and the property prices in Missoula and its way more affordable and not nearly as heavily taxed as so-called "conservative" Idaho.

Also, Spokane's crime rate is through the roof and seems to have even surpassed Tacoma and I am actually at the point I just want to bail altogether from the criminal/methhead loving state of Washington. Also, the large influx of radical leftists and illegal foreign immigrants into Washington is causing this state to become the next California.

I am also considering Billings, but hear it is very, very cold and the not the nicest town with lot of fumes from oil plants, etc. Also, I love trees , mountains and hiking and don't want to live in an arid flat desert/grasslands. Bozeman was another place I was looking at , but its very expensive and almost nothing for rent. ALso, I hear it gets real cold in the winter and smokey in the summer.
Haven't you asked about Missoula before? In regards to what I've read from this and other posts, you'll be fine. While Missoula is more liberal than other areas of Montana it's a far cry from somewhere like Berkley. The area surrounding Missoula is conservative. The most important thing is to make sure you have a decen job lined out first.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:30 PM

4,659 posts, read 2,512,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotsecherut View Post
girls, gambling, guns and g-d, what more can a guy ask for?? :d
a v"o"wel?

Old 11-15-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
a v"o"wel?
Wow, good eye BayBoomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Haven't you asked about Missoula before? In regards to what I've read from this and other posts, you'll be fine. While Missoula is more liberal than other areas of Montana it's a far cry from somewhere like Berkley. The area surrounding Missoula is conservative. The most important thing is to make sure you have a decen job lined out first.
Wyo, I guess I actually did post a thread about this eons ago. I guess the MOntana forum doesn't get a lot of action . I just noticed I made a post about Missoula 3 years ago and it is still on the first page of the Monana forum.. WOW I didn't even remember posting that. However, that post had more to do with me being Jewish and moving to Montana, rather than being a right-winger or a gun owner.

This post was more of a reaction of me considering moving to Missoula with the light of the gun control legislation and other political activities I see brewing in the town that seem to contradict what I see in other parts of MOntana.

I guess 3 years things could change a bit, right? Also, my outlook on the world is a little different, so maybe my question would worded differently in a way to reflect that. I will have to review my old post..

However, being single and Jewish is no longer my concern in Montana, as I feel other posters have addressed that. My main concern now is being a right-winger and a gun owner. I have heard Montana recently has become more and more liberal and even is starting to become a bit anti-gun. However, this is mostly a reflection of the politics I am hearing in Missoula.

As you can see, I've been wanting to get out of the Northwest for a while. It's hard to get up and relocate. I almost pulled the trigger last month and moved to Montana, but there was so few rentals in any of the towns I could find and my workload from my job made it hard to make a trip out there. I'm thinking moving there in the winter will be a challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Missoula has been Berkeley North since I was a kid, so that ain't news!

Big, busy gun club there at Logan, and I've been told membership is real affordable. It's right on the road to Clarkston so when I lived there I drove by it often enough.

Billings area is not near as much desert as eastern Oregon/Washington or southern Idaho, and is just as close or closer to varied mountain/forest country.

Consider that if you're renting, you're not married to the town. If you don't like the first place you try -- you can leave and try somewhere else!
Reziac, I appreciate your information. From talking to others and you, it seems Billings would be more up my alley. I know Billings is near some of the most pristine wilderness and mountain scenery in this country. I'd be eager to see the Beartooth/Abasorka and Gallatin mountain ranges.

I can only imagine there is many more places to shoot guns in Missoula than in the Seattle area, even if the liberals have created their own little city-state in a city that has like what 70,000 now? I was hoping living in Missoula, even if dominated by liberals, there would be enough right-wingers who could accept me into the fold and not treat me like I am an alien species or a sub-human such as how I am in Seattle. In Seattle, if you are not an ultra-leftist you will be attacked and reviled by everyone who is indoctrinated and brainwashed by the ultra-leftist societal programming here.

It would be nice to be treated like a human again. I've grown totally sick of the radical liberal population here who are as polarizing and condescending as they come. Usually it is masked by passive aggressiveness, but you could easily be physically attacked if you decide to vocalize your views in public places.

The job situation may force me to end up relocating to the Southern USA. I hope not, because the South is no where as free of a place as Montana or even Idaho , for that matter. Literally, no place to shoot guns in the Southern USA unless you have a friend or he has a friend. Not to mention the Appalachians hardly qualify as mountains and almost every real city in the South is far from them. Too many people in the Eastern seaboard. However, there is a lot of IT work in places like North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Texas, etc. I am hoping my home based business will survive so that I could make it out in Montana. I am doubting there is much for IT jobs in Montana, but if there is I may be open to learning about them.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:17 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times
A couple dozen IT listings for Bozeman here Information Technology Jobs, Employment in Bozeman, MT | Indeed.com

Finding a place near Bozeman may be a little easier in May when spring semester ends. Belgrade or further out should be a bit more affordable.

If you consider the southeast, you might look at Clemson, SC. It might meet certain criteria and / or you might find other aspects unacceptable. Woods and lakeshore in minutes. 4-6,000 foot mountains with some of the lushest, most diverse plant and animal life on continent within a 60-90 minute drive to or over NC border. NC mountains aren't the west but somewhat similar in feel to river valleys of lower Cascades. 4 shooting ranges without a half hour http://www.dnr.sc.gov/shooting/bycounty.html
Clemson has a student shotgun club on campus.

Young educated people, modern economy, somewhat upscale (relative to typical south), conservatives outnumber liberals
3-5 to 1 including the women (though perhaps somewhat less conservative than the men, they are more conservative / traditional than your average urban northwestern woman). Probably at least 1-2,000 foreign students. Access to Greenville if you want something Clemson does not have (airport, non university related work, etc.) Average housing cost is reportedly about 1/3rd less than Bozeman and overall cost of living about 15% less.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-16-2015 at 01:37 PM..

Old 11-18-2015, 06:47 PM

Thanks for more suggestions, Crow.. Taxes are way too high for me in South Carolina and I don't find that it really has any sizable IT market like its neighbor North Carolina. Ironically, the two so-called most red blooded states, South Carolina and Idaho, both have two of the highest tax rates in the country. Idaho/SC taxes are almost identical. Weird! North Carolina, both has lower taxes and one of the best IT markets in the country. One of the reasons I would move all the way down South would be because of the stronger IT martket, lower cost of living and the fact that I still would have more freedoms and liberties (basically still an American) living in the SOuth compared to living in Silicon Valley , New York , Chicago or any of the other police states/city-states that have stronger IT markets.

I have thought about South Carolina in the past and it does have a lot of nice things about it and some beautiful countryside. Sadly, the parts of the South I would actually want to live have very few jobs and are away from their major urban centers. Places like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Nashville, Charlotte, Triangle Metro, Richmond, etc are where most of the jobs are. My best bet for living in a Southern city I may possible enjoy, would be Knoxville or Charlotte. Although, Charlotte I hear is a pretty dull and cultureless (definitely Non-Southern) surburbia sprawl now. They call it Altanta Junior. However, there is some countryside and hills (Appalachia) within a few hours driving distance for recreation, shooting and other outdoor enjoyment. These would be the only two Southern cities I probably actually WANT to live in that MAY have jobs. Knoxville is slowly getting some IT companies and infrastructure as it grows.

All and all, the South is just a place I may end up, not where I really want to live. Montana, Wyoming, Northern Idaho or the more conservative, rural and freedom minded parts of the country are places I would like to live. These are places I'd actually like to settle and raise a family (although I am probably too old for that now, etc). The urban areas of the South are quite mixed, actually in demographics and have lot of liberalism and crime. Unlike, the West, the South still has a large rural population that helps moderate the more liberal urban politics. The liberal politics of the urban South are also no where as liberal as Western or Northeastern cities.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:12 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times
Knoxville itself has a horrible crime rate. Farragut is probably one of the best exurbs (about half hour west) but living just south of town, across the river might be an alright mix of country and urban access. Davidson NC 20 miles north of Charlotte might be worth a look.

Rio Rancho, Los Alamos and Santa Fe NM have IT jobs. Places to live in the trees not that far away.

Liberty Lake east of Spokane is pretty nice. WA taxes, near enough to city and ID mountains.

Bozeman area is somewhat expensive and a bit stuck up but might be one of your better chances at satisfaction overall. Livingston has access to Bozeman but is also separate from it, more relaxed, a bit cheaper housing, more like mainstream MT (not quite but more like it than Bozeman).

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-19-2015 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or