Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 04:33 AM

108 posts, read 119,732 times

Advertisements

Hey hey..

Discovered thid forum out of luck and wanted to ask you Montanans a thing or two.

Currently my wife and I live in Northern Sweden and we're thinking about moving back to the States. I'm Swedish, wife American.
I lived in Logan, UT for college but I rather move to a more forestry part of the country than Utah, plus Montana have always been on my mind.

The thing is, we'd like to find a decent sized house about 30 min outside of town, with a nice lot, at least 5+ acres, if possible.
Have looked at Alberton, Stevensville and Anaconda but that's about it. Seeley Lake looks amazing but a bit far from town.
Other small places to consider?

I've got a BS in Economics and currently working as a Controller for a mining company, so that's what I'm looking for job-wise.

I'm 31 and wifey 29 I think and we're expecting a baby boy in October.
Plans are to wait and see what happens here since ALOT is going on here in Europe, and might move in the next 2-3 years, maybe sooner if everything works out.

Anyone able to help me and point me out in the right direction, finding a decent job and so forth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 05:10 PM

8,377 posts, read 8,589,909 times
Links about MT mining companies, if you want a mining company job:

Active Mines in Montana

Montana Mining Association

Grant Hartford Corp., a Montana gold mining company.Grant Hartford Corporation - a junior gold producer located near Missoula, Montana

Stillwater Mining Company

Montana Resources - Montana Resources

If you are open to "controller" jobs in general, you will have more options, though they might be called something different here in most cases.

If you are looking to buy house / land, you might suggest what your budget is. Stevensville is nice and fairly practical if you can get a job in Missoula.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Links about MT mining companies, if you want a mining company job:

Active Mines in Montana

Montana Mining Association

Grant Hartford Corp., a Montana gold mining company.Grant Hartford Corporation - a junior gold producer located near Missoula, Montana

Stillwater Mining Company

Montana Resources - Montana Resources

If you are open to "controller" jobs in general, you will have more options, though they might be called something different here in most cases.

If you are looking to buy house / land, you might suggest what your budget is. Stevensville is nice and fairly practical if you can get a job in Missoula.
Thanks for the reply!

Working in the mining industry is not a demand at all, I'm very open to any industry, almost any sort of Economics, Finance, Business job.

Our budget would lie around max of $300k, since we'd like a small mortgage and small payments, even though I should be able to land a decent job as a controller or similar.
Size of the house isn't too important, but we do have a kid on the way so 2 or 3 bedroom and at least 2+ acres would be sweet.

I looked at a map one more time and found out Stevensville is quite far away from Missoula, more than 30 minutes commute, am I right?
The smaller communities around looks interesting, Frenchtown, Alberton, East Missoula, Lolo, pretty much anything within a 30 minute drive.
Don't mind living in a small place, we own a house in a village of 400 people, 30 minutes outside a town of 20,000. We lived there for 4 months before my wife quit her job.

Both of us like the small town feel and would be even better to only have 30 minutes to a bigger city such as Missoula.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:03 PM

7,339 posts, read 12,555,925 times
Hei hei to you, too! (Been to Sweden!)

Google Maps says between 37 and 41 minutes from Stevensville to Missoula. I consider that definitely within reasonable distance. Since you're from Northern Sweden I know you'll be more used to long distances than if you were from the Southern part, but you may also have experienced during your time in Logan that distances in the American West are judged differently than in Europe. 40 minutes is generally considered a reasonable commute. A little harder in winter, but still doable.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Hei hei to you, too! (Been to Sweden!)

Google Maps says between 37 and 41 minutes from Stevensville to Missoula. I consider that definitely within reasonable distance. Since you're from Northern Sweden I know you'll be more used to long distances than if you were from the Southern part, but you may also have experienced during your time in Logan that distances in the American West are judged differently than in Europe. 40 minutes is generally considered a reasonable commute. A little harder in winter, but still doable.
Oh fun! Where in Sweden did you go?

Yeah I know distances are very big in America as well as up here. I just know myself and 40 min commute one way is a bit of a stretch, sure doable with cheap gas
I played some college hockey while at Uni in Logan, and we drove everywhere in the West, geez... Also went on a overnighter to Las Vegas, almost 8 hours one way trip from Salt Lake, haha... So yes, I know America is a big country.

I do like some of the houses I've seen in Frenchtown, Alberton. Like that small-town feel. Plus I would like a bit of land to go with the house so

Still going to work on my Green Card application and get that started. Then I also need to find a job before we can leave, if we are going to.
Lots to think about...

Old 05-25-2016, 05:49 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,463,584 times
I think a daily commute from Stevensville to Missoula would get quite tiresome. I would stick to communities/areas closer to Missoula.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I think a daily commute from Stevensville to Missoula would get quite tiresome. I would stick to communities/areas closer to Missoula.
I'll have to agree.
I did a 30-min commute over here between August and December, and it gets tiresome. But that was during the worst part of year as well.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:41 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,355,989 times
seww6, if you're looking at areas outside of Missoula to commute in from, something to keep in mind is that coming in from the south on HWY 93 and HWY 12 can get very congested. I have a friend that just moved to Frenchtown, he works on the north side of Missoula and it cut his commute time in half. If you could find somewhere that is commutable on Interstate 90 in and out of work, that would be best as it's not usually that busy, even at rush hour.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:38 PM

7,339 posts, read 12,555,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seww6 View Post
Oh fun! Where in Sweden did you go?

Yeah I know distances are very big in America as well as up here. I just know myself and 40 min commute one way is a bit of a stretch, sure doable with cheap gas
I played some college hockey while at Uni in Logan, and we drove everywhere in the West, geez... Also went on a overnighter to Las Vegas, almost 8 hours one way trip from Salt Lake, haha... So yes, I know America is a big country.
I've been to Stockholm, Sundsvall, Uppsala, Göteborg, and Helsingborg. Loved it, especially the white nights. Didn't enjoy the fermented herring, though!

Old 05-27-2016, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
seww6, if you're looking at areas outside of Missoula to commute in from, something to keep in mind is that coming in from the south on HWY 93 and HWY 12 can get very congested. I have a friend that just moved to Frenchtown, he works on the north side of Missoula and it cut his commute time in half. If you could find somewhere that is commutable on Interstate 90 in and out of work, that would be best as it's not usually that busy, even at rush hour.
Thanks for the tip!
Frenchtown looks like a nice little town close to a bigger city, with all the mountains and forest that I wanna live in.

It's funny, I have no idea why I want to Montana, barely been there. But for some reason it feels like where I belong, except for here in the woods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula