U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-31-2008, 07:33 PM

139 posts, read 314,846 times
Missoula is the most diverse city in the state. You would have to be a real wacko to not be accepted in Missoula, Montana.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:53 PM

6,432 posts, read 7,321,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMech72 View Post
Missoula is the most diverse city in the state. You would have to be a real wacko to not be accepted in Missoula, Montana.
Besides, how could you tell one Missoula wacko from the rest?

[I'll take my medication and put myself away now ]

Old 08-01-2008, 07:00 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,572 posts, read 11,508,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Besides, how could you tell one Missoula wacko from the rest?
Exactly!

Old 08-03-2008, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,724 times
More then likely you wont be treated any diffrent then a montanan becasue you come from a place that is like us. And yes missoula would be the place for you. A college town with many new people all the time and there is plenty of oppertunity for getting around. I hope this helps you deside if you have any other question feel free.....i will help even if they wont.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:19 PM

44 posts, read 117,379 times
Yep, Bozeman (The Bozone, Boz Angeles) now does have free public transportation. And good medical facilities. That, plus the better winter weather than gloomy Mizou, would make it my pick. Seems to me that anyone from a rural area (with rural values) would fit in anyplace in MT. Why is everyone so worried about acceptance? Unless you arrive from NYC, Chicago, LA, etc., with $20's hanging out of your pockets, asking where the largest for-sale ranch is so you can subdivide it...shouldn't anticipate any problems.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan500 View Post
Yep, Bozeman (The Bozone, Boz Angeles) now does have free public transportation. And good medical facilities. That, plus the better winter weather than gloomy Mizou, would make it my pick. Seems to me that anyone from a rural area (with rural values) would fit in anyplace in MT. Why is everyone so worried about acceptance? Unless you arrive from NYC, Chicago, LA, etc., with $20's hanging out of your pockets, asking where the largest for-sale ranch is so you can subdivide it...shouldn't anticipate any problems.
Occurs to me that the people worrying about acceptance are most often those who just want to live and let live, but are coming from somewhere that increasingly imposes a lifestyle on everyone (as is the case in most of California, hence it makes such a good negative example). So they're afraid of encountering the same mindset they're trying to leave behind.

Tho I've noticed a couple contrary cases, where clearly someone wanted to bring their lifestyle with them, and bedamned to anyone else's lifestyle.

BTW, Bozeman used to have a very good assortment of private doctors who charged very reasonable rates -- is that still the case, or have they been entirely eaten up by HMOs? (In California, you literally can't find a private doctor anymore -- if only because they can't afford the malpractice insurance, which can run as high as 90% of their income!! And the HMOs uniformly suck, since the whole idea is to make you go away and die of whatever ails you before you can cost them any money.)

Old 08-03-2008, 10:24 PM

162 posts, read 337,998 times
Thank you, JNWILSON, for a "real" reply. It is nice to get a helpful comment.

To Reziac:

You are right. Fargo is a lot like Billings, without the rim rocks for scenery. Fargo feels slightly bigger just because you have West Fargo (22,000), Fargo (100,000), and Moorhead, MN (40,000) all running together. Fargo is booming financially, and the word recession doesn't seem to exist here.

I definitely have no particular "lifestyle type" to bring with me from North Dakota. But you can't help but think about acceptance if you read enough of the other Montana threads. Clearly, Californians are the main topic, but sometimes you read about resentment toward ALL outsiders before they even know you.

Where I live now is kinda the opposite of Missoula in that not that many people move here except from maybe neighboring states. So an outsider, while maybe accepted, feels out of place at times because everyone else is so tightly knit.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:44 AM

11 posts, read 45,609 times
This is such an odd thread. People in Missoula are generally very kind, and would be especially so to someone with a disability. People here are, in general, not wealthy, and do all sorts of jobs to make a living. I can't imagine that anyone would judge you too much--or at all--for working at a box store to support yourself.

It's a great town for most people. Lots of people are not "from here" [I am "native" from Missoula, so I realize that I can say this easily, but my husband, who is not from here, has not run into anything but people wanting to share their Montana with him.]

Live downtown, plant a smile on your face, get ready for 10 months of gloomy weather, and enjoy paradise.

MT Tripper

Old 08-08-2008, 10:24 AM

162 posts, read 337,998 times
Thanks MT Tripper for your reassuring comments. It sounds like I will be fine there.

That gloomy weather so many talk about in Missoula will hopefully be a good thing for me. My eye condition makes me very sensative to sunlight, and I am fair skinned and burn easily without protection.

Another thing that appealed to me about Missoula weather is that it seems that Missoula does not get the CONSTANT wind you find east of the divide and where I live now in North Dakota. Sometimes that is a bigger burden than precipitation when walking.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota79 View Post
Thanks MT Tripper for your reassuring comments. It sounds like I will be fine there.

That gloomy weather so many talk about in Missoula will hopefully be a good thing for me. My eye condition makes me very sensative to sunlight, and I am fair skinned and burn easily without protection.

Another thing that appealed to me about Missoula weather is that it seems that Missoula does not get the CONSTANT wind you find east of the divide and where I live now in North Dakota. Sometimes that is a bigger burden than precipitation when walking.
My eyes are glare-sensitive too. You'll never see me outdoors without a hat and sunglasses, and I even wear a visor indoors because reflections off the ceiling bother me! cloud cover does help. Alas, I love the sun and the blue sky. I have such a need to see the daily sunrise on the far horizon, that I couldn't live in an oft-cloudy mountain-bowl like Missoula.

I inherited love of the wind from my grandmother (also born in North Dakota!) but there are times when it can be a nuisance. Frex, would it be too much to ask for the wind to turn around and blow the other direction when I need to come back on my bicycle?? riding into the wind is right hard work.

Trying to think where in ND/MN might be kinda like Missoula... been way too long since I've been there, but maybe consider it a scaled-down version of Minneapolis??

And that gave me other thoughts. Where in ND/MN is most like a given MT town?

Fargo = Billings, Missoula = MPLS, Great Falls = Grand Forks, Kalispell = Bemidji, Bozeman = Detroit Lakes, Havre = Minot.

Man, does that make for a confused map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula