U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:05 PM

164 posts, read 373,330 times
Default skiing in Missoula...

Hey. We're headed to Missoula for Valentines day, a couple of questions about skiing:

1. Is snowbowl a good resort to hit up?
2. Does it get rediculously crowded on weekends. Or, is it really big and open with uncrowded slopes (I'm used to skiing on the east coast, mind you)
3. Do a lot of people go to Missoula for Valentines Day?

thanks in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 06:20 PM

6,042 posts, read 6,320,482 times
Answers are Nope, nope, nope and maybe some. Have fun. Whitefish skiing is way mo betta in my opinion.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:33 PM

okay, thanks...but isn't Whitefish like 3 hours drive from Missoula? I just want to hit the slopes for a few days next weekend...nothing serious.

Any other opinions or things I should know about? I love insider tips!!!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:56 PM

Heck what is a few hours ? You may want to consider skiing in both areas if you're going to be here a few days and hit up Blacktail too. Any skiing is good skiing. My record back in the day was 41 ski days in one season. It helped owning stock in Sierra Summit / Snow Summit in California and having my boss give me a ten ticket passbook to Mammoth Mountain ! I also took a month long ski vacation that season going up the Rockies and back down the Cascades and Sierras.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:07 PM

77 posts, read 154,355 times
Snowbowl is much smaller than Big Mtn. Much of it is challenging, very steep with moguls the size of VW bugs. There is more of a local flavor than then the Aspeny overdone of Big Mtn. THe Snow Bowl locals love their ski hill. Not so much up north and they sure as heck dont give a c rap about
the locals. Big Mtn is huge has lots of great skiing and lots of variety.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:17 PM

so is Big Mtn the same thing as Whitefish? And what about Discovery? is that worthwhile? I'll look into blacktail...

However, I'm just flying in. Not planning on renting a car. I ride a bike just about everywhere I go and while I understand that people in MT drive a lot (heck, I live in TX!)...I don't really want to drive at ALL on a 4-day weekend.

jarsmom - do you like snowbowl? I'm all for a locals spot!

rickers - thanks for the info, I would love to hit 41 days in a season!

Old 02-10-2009, 02:33 PM

77 posts, read 154,355 times
BigMtn and Wfsh are the same, Bigmtn was awesome when I was in HS> Snowbowl is more local if
you can handle the black runs you will probably like it. They say it has more vertical feet than some
of the other resorts. I dont know much about Discovery but I have had people tell me they like it. I loved snowbowl, very down home and rustic lodges. A few yuppies, it is a collage town and a smattering of liberals but still not like what you might encounter in wfsh. Big Mtn is bigger and has
more variety. Dont know much about Discovery People seem to like it. Dont bother with blacktail.
It is small and BORING.
Hope you enjoy your stay, be safe. BTW where in TX. Spent sometime just outside of ElPaso.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:38 PM

I live in San Antonio...and I'm a liberal...but not a yuppie/jerk. Most conservative folks seem to like me (including my very conservative folks). Just putting that out there.

thanks again for all the info!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:12 PM

Like I said "any skiing is good skiing" Have fun no matter where ya go and no matter what the weather is like ! There is a shuttle bus that goes from Whitefish to the mountain. Say hi to Texas for me.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:15 AM

2,087 posts, read 467,981 times
if your not renting a car than snowbowl, if you rent a car then do something else. Alot of people in missoula wont ski snowbowl because its kida tough if your not really good. There are huge drops and usually icy conditions from the top until you can hit a run thats not expert. Theres other places within an hour and a half, really depends how you like it i guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula