U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 10:21 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,005,631 times

Advertisements

What's the downtown like? Charming?
How is the VA in Missoula? (outpatient clinic and vet ctr)- possible employment, not a vet
Are you happy with the schools?
Is it child-friendly?
Is there enough to do for families?
Do you think it's beautiful?
What do you think of the property taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 03:30 PM

41 posts, read 127,407 times
Missoula's downtown is pretty small, but still has quite a bit to offer.
Caras Park (in downtown Missoula) holds a variety of different events throughout the spring/summer/fall that are usually enjoyable, some more family-friendly than others.
Downtown has some great places to eat, shop, drink, etc.
There are a couple pretty cool bars downtown that have live music.
The Wilma Theatre shows (mainly) indie films, but also holds a variety of events from concerts to film festivals to book readings, etc.

As far as things that are good for families/children, downtown has the carousel and dragon's hollow, which is a little playground/park.
There's also the Missoula Children's Museum on Front Street.
I'm not really familiar with family/children-friendly things since I'm pretty young and don't have a family, but I do know that there are things for families with children to do downtown.

You could always check the Missoula Downtown Association website for more info on events and happenings downtown:
Missoula Downtown Association

Old 03-27-2009, 08:58 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,870,919 times
Caras Park can be at times loaded with dirty aggressive homeless bums. I exhibited at an arts and crafts show there once. At the end of the day when the vendors were packing out a hoard of dirt bag opportunists started acting out being drunk, nasty, and very aggressive trying to extort money from me. I couldn't get out of there fast enough and am glad that I was armed. Missoula sucks. I had been showing at craft shows off and on for 35 years and only felt threatened at one other one and that was on the Yakima Rez in Wa.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:25 AM

369 posts, read 1,300,241 times
I live in Missoula. I avoid Downtown Missoula at all costs. Panhandlers have been mentioned but, as well, the place swarms with all kinds of human debris and high-priced funky shops. It's a miserable, crumbling part of town in my opinion.

The University is great. Plenty of things for children and families to do. Schools are sub-standard for Montana; two very good private schools, Christian based.

Property taxes are among the highest in the state. I moved here 15 years ago and my taxes have more than doubled.

The city government is onerous, filled with progressives that want your money. The five conservatives can do nothing to stop the 7 liberals and liberal mayor (non-partisan elections but very partisan inside the chamber).

Missoula is a bastion for what I call liberal-commie-pinko-swine and the all congregate north of the river in the downtown area. I have nothing in common with those people.

Other than that it's a nice town!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:07 PM

214 posts, read 529,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
I live in Missoula. I avoid Downtown Missoula at all costs. Panhandlers have been mentioned but, as well, the place swarms with all kinds of human debris and high-priced funky shops. It's a miserable, crumbling part of town in my opinion.

The University is great. Plenty of things for children and families to do. Schools are sub-standard for Montana; two very good private schools, Christian based.

Property taxes are among the highest in the state. I moved here 15 years ago and my taxes have more than doubled.

The city government is onerous, filled with progressives that want your money. The five conservatives can do nothing to stop the 7 liberals and liberal mayor (non-partisan elections but very partisan inside the chamber).

Missoula is a bastion for what I call liberal-commie-pinko-swine and the all congregate north of the river in the downtown area. I have nothing in common with those people.

Other than that it's a nice town!
My taxes in Granite County have tripled in ten years! They (the comissioners) just approved condo's at Georgetown lake, too. So take your pick.

Last edited by Jbechtel; 03-28-2009 at 06:22 PM..

Old 03-29-2009, 08:14 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,888,622 times
Yep, it is a college town with the assorted personalities associated with. Smaller population just enhances the variety. The property taxes are really ridiculous compared with other areas of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula