U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 PM

218 posts, read 739,435 times

Advertisements

As posted in other forums, I'm a 22-year-old East-coast urbanite who is considering moving out west. Having lived in cities all my life, I'm not ready to move to the country; I still NEED a city. I love music and travel all over the place to see bands; I NEED somewhere with music, arts, and culture. I'm vegan, so I would like to have at least a few vegetarian options around town. That being said, I don't want the huge city life. I'm looking for a moderately sized city in a beautiful location with lots of outdoor activities around.

What would you recommend to me from this list of cities? Or do you think none of them fit the bill? I'm relatively easily bored (although I've lived in a fairly small city for a while, so I can take it), so is facing the rain and moving to Portland a better bet for me? I feel like it's too "hip" there...

Missoula was my original pick off the list, but within the last year I've stopped smoking pot for good due to some mental issues...will I not fit in there? I've heard nearly all the young 20somethings smoke A LOT. I can deal if I have to, but I don't really like being around people who smoke anymore; will it be impossible to find a group of young open-minded kids who are drug free? I still enjoy drinking socially! (Hence, my need for nightlife).

Where are people the friendliest? Where will I find the most to do overall? I'm visiting in about three months but I'm getting so anxious in the meantime...I'd like to have an itinerary and have some idea which one might suit me before I arrive.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:02 PM

110 posts, read 282,609 times
Definetley go to Boise or SLC!! In fact, you might want to consider staying on the east coast. The west is always on fire during the summer, and the winter time is REALLY DEPRESSING, because there is ABSOLUTELY nothing to do. In fact, this forum is about as exciting it gets. If you have mental issues, you'll be supprised to know that Montana, and many other western states have the highest suicide rates in the country. We don't want you to come here just to die because it's sooo booorrring, and depressing. Oh yeah, just about EVERYONE smokes pot here, so you'll probably not want to even visit. Just the other day, I saw a senior bridge group "BLAZE" up a bong-no kidding, you can't go anywhere without the smell of skunk weed. I'm sure MANY others will back me up in telling you to just "stay away from montana". Guy's? A little help?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:38 PM

18 posts, read 83,174 times
Yeah, Montana is not for you. Seriously, everybody up here is smoking Montana Ditch Weed. That stuff is not for rookies! Anyway, I think SLC is your best bet, but be careful down there. I heard they're into to crazy stuff too.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:52 PM

9,523 posts, read 7,782,324 times
Montana is a hunting and fishing state, where one of the major industries is raising beef cattle. While there are a few vegetarians, they are few and far between.
Montana has a "medical marijuana" law in place. With a doctor's prescription, you can "smoke it if ya got it", and, within limits, you can grow your own.
While a couple of the major cities have what is known as "culture" on the coasts, it isn't a major part of life. People are more apt to go fishing or camping or hunting or hiking or some other outdoor activity.
Shooting is a major sport, and many people own guns. Some folks have a LOT of guns!
Yes, I think SLC, Boise, Portland, maybe even one of the small towns around Seattle would be a better fit for you.

Last edited by Kristynwy; 04-20-2009 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: edited out info pertaining to a post that has been deleted

Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 PM

214 posts, read 529,171 times
Default Lost, not the TV show

Always go from drugs to religion. That's the way your parents did it. Salt Lake City would be next for you. Missoula would be after that when you want to advance to primal therapy or meditation.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:11 PM

It's not that I'm an anti-drug conservative lunatic. I'm a pretty far left-wing environmentalist (though not a forceful one) who used to smoke ounces and ounces of pot until it started giving me panic attacks six years later. I just don't enjoy being around it these days for that reason.

I thought Missoula was one of the most liberal and possibly artsy (?) areas in the Northwest, next to Seattle and Portland. Am I wrong in thinking this? I thought I would enjoy the small-city life of Missoula being surrounded by the nature of Montana, but you guys are leading me to think otherwise...

And no, I won't ever be going to religion.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:16 PM

18 posts, read 83,174 times
Missoula's art scene is mainly hype. Not saying it's bad.....but leaves a lot to be desired. Downtown SLC is hip but not "too hip". Check it out!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:53 PM

214 posts, read 529,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
It's not that I'm an anti-drug conservative lunatic. I'm a pretty far left-wing environmentalist (though not a forceful one) who used to smoke ounces and ounces of pot until it started giving me panic attacks six years later. I just don't enjoy being around it these days for that reason.

I thought Missoula was one of the most liberal and possibly artsy (?) areas in the Northwest, next to Seattle and Portland. Am I wrong in thinking this? I thought I would enjoy the small-city life of Missoula being surrounded by the nature of Montana, but you guys are leading me to think otherwise...

And no, I won't ever be going to religion.
Do you want an artsy town near a university or not by one, cause they do have different flavors?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:03 PM

Either is fine. I guess if forced to choose, I would pick not by a university, but there are plenty of great college towns as well. I could go either way.

To add to that, mostly I'm just looking for down-to-Earth people who are also open-minded and at least somewhat socially conscious. When I visited Austin last year (which I thought would be horribly douchey since it's kind of like the Brooklyn of the South), I was surprised at how cool everyone was compared to here where I live now.

Last edited by Kristynwy; 04-20-2009 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: not appropriate content

Old 04-15-2009, 03:31 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,566,171 times
I would say out of the three to choose either SLC or Boise, as I don't think Missoula is the "city" you are looking for. It is just a small college town, really. If you want city life, I don't think you'll be too pleased with Missoula. Although it does have some nice things about it, it isn't that big.

I don't know much about Boise. I have only been there a couple of times. All I know is that it's bigger than Missoula. As for SLC, you may hear from people that there are tons of Mormons there, which is true. It is very Mormon culture oriented, although there are still a lot of people who aren't Mormon living in the Salt Lake valley. You just have to be willing to live with the strong Mormon influence as wherever you go......work or play (well, as long as it's "good, moral" play) you'll most likely run into a lot of Mormons. I'm not saying they are bad or that I have anything against them. I'm just saying that if you aren't interested in leaning toward religion in general, that SLC may not be the place for you. It does have a lot to offer for a small city, though. Just my opinion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula