Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:19 AM

8 posts, read 18,011 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! ! am a 26 year old female looking at pharmacy schools to go to. I have a few narrowed down (seattle WA, missoula MT, morgantown WV, corvallis, OR) but I have a few questions to ask if anyone can help!

1. I am not worried about finding a job for myself, as I can transfer to a Walgreens. My husband doesn't have a college degree, but he is a hard worker and learns quickly so I want to see if he will have a hard time finding a job. He has experience in landscaping and maintenance. He knows how to work on cars, but he is not certified, and he also knows how to do electrical work, but again, no license.

2. I want to make sure we will "fit in" as we won't know anyone there. We both have tattoos/piercings (but we are not the freaky looking tattoed/pierced, everything can be and is covered up for work, people are actually surprised when I tell them how many I have!), listen to punk and psychobilly music, like classic cars and hot rods/rat rods, dogs, good food (especially mexican) and being outdoors. So I guess my question is about what people do for fun, and if there will people into the same things we are. Are there concerts to go to, local bands, and classic car shows?

3. Sports is a major thing for us. My husband has to be able to go to baseball games, and hang out in sports bars sometimes, so what is the sports scene like?

Obviously the most important things are crime, cost of living and things like that, but I can look up the statistics of those, unless someone has something really bad to say about any of these places, or something they think I should know, I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 10:53 AM

369 posts, read 1,449,765 times
Morgantown, WV sounds like a good fit - it's about as far away from here that you can get.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:56 PM

914 posts, read 4,434,129 times
You sound very similar to my boyfriend and I. I really liked Missoula when we lived there. I think you would fit in just fine! I also think you would fit in well in Corvallis. Sports are absolutely massive in both towns, especially football. (Baseball, though, it a little better in Corvallis. Also better mexican food in Corvallis, but I must say I like the food in Missoula better overall.) There is a lot going on in Missoula, so I think you would be entertained. Jobs are not going to be great anywhere. Probably about the same for all of your areas. Seattle is much much more cosmopolitan. Not that you don't sound cosmopolitan, but I think it sounds like you would like Missoula or Corvallis better. Seattle is also very expensive to live in, which is one of the main reasons why I don't live there anymore. I am sorry, but I don't know anything about WV.

Are you going for pharmacology or for a pharm D?

Old 06-02-2009, 02:09 PM

536 posts, read 1,532,176 times
I would recommend that your husband go to trade school for something that will back his experiences up. I'm now almost done with my cnc machining certificate at 37 years of age :-) after 20 years of working jobs that never did pay more than $11.50 an hour, I had enough of that crap.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:56 PM

8 posts, read 18,011 times
Thanks a lot for your help! Not too many people seem to answer the missoula forums! I am going for the pharm D program. I wish my husband would go back to school, but he is stubborn and thinks he can't do because he has a learning disability. And it's sad because I feel that he really could do anything he wanted, he is such a hard worker and picks up on things quickly. Be is more of a "hands on" guy. He says he will try to go back to school after I graduate. Right now, it looks like we are debating between missoula, and morgantown. We are going to plan trips out to both places to see how we like them. Anyone know how missoula winters compare to michigan winters?

Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 PM

193 posts, read 461,832 times
I'm betting your husband will be fine. I would hire a hard working hands on trained guy anytime over a book smart guy that has never gotten dirty. Oh, and stubborn can be good too, especially if your talkin about good work ethics. I worked while my wife was in collage, , and you guessed it, I never went back to school. Just too stubborn I guess..

Best of luck to you both..

Old 06-04-2009, 11:21 AM

369 posts, read 1,449,765 times
Missoula winters are much worse than those in Michigan.

Morgantown sounds like a great fit.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:40 PM

536 posts, read 1,532,176 times
I'm deaf and have been since birth and graduating from school at age 37 with two kids and being married so I daresay if I can do it..then your husband can do it! Found out I'm more of an hands on person than I thought. Those state schools (when I was growing up) I went to were worthless because they focused on the fact that I had excellent English rather than excellent ability to learn hands on kind of projects because a deaf person typically do not have good English which is stupid. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:05 PM

914 posts, read 4,434,129 times
I can't speak for Michigan winters, but if you actually live in Missoula (not in one of the surrounding communities) winter really isn't that bad. Missoula sits in a little warm pocket. I remember coming into work with a few inches of snow on the ground, and my co-workers who lived 20 miles out of town staggering in late talking of blizzard conditions. Really, I actually found winter in Missoula to be kind of disappointing. I was all ready for a severe winter weather experience, and that definitely isn't what I got!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:18 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,365,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missalysha View Post
Hi everyone! ! am a 26 year old female looking at pharmacy schools to go to. I have a few narrowed down (seattle WA, missoula MT, morgantown WV, corvallis, OR) but I have a few questions to ask if anyone can help!

1. I am not worried about finding a job for myself, as I can transfer to a Walgreens. My husband doesn't have a college degree, but he is a hard worker and learns quickly so I want to see if he will have a hard time finding a job. He has experience in landscaping and maintenance. He knows how to work on cars, but he is not certified, and he also knows how to do electrical work, but again, no license.

2. I want to make sure we will "fit in" as we won't know anyone there. We both have tattoos/piercings (but we are not the freaky looking tattoed/pierced, everything can be and is covered up for work, people are actually surprised when I tell them how many I have!), listen to punk and psychobilly music, like classic cars and hot rods/rat rods, dogs, good food (especially mexican) and being outdoors. So I guess my question is about what people do for fun, and if there will people into the same things we are. Are there concerts to go to, local bands, and classic car shows?

3. Sports is a major thing for us. My husband has to be able to go to baseball games, and hang out in sports bars sometimes, so what is the sports scene like?

Obviously the most important things are crime, cost of living and things like that, but I can look up the statistics of those, unless someone has something really bad to say about any of these places, or something they think I should know, I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!
First, let me say that I admire your selflessness and your focus on your husband's vocational and recreational needs. With that said, I would encourage a little selfishness in analyzing your choices based upon the impact of the Pharmacy school on your future career choices. Each school has different strengths, i.e. research vs teaching, community vs hospital oriented programs, etc. You need to thoroughly analyze the curriculum and the backgrounds of the faculty.

Are the faculty primarily clinically oriented or do they have a strong record of publications in the medical literature and do they bring in grant funds? Does the program have a wealth of clinical rotations in teaching hospitals or are you more interested in rural clinics or ambulatory settings? Does the school offer strengths in acute care or can they provide you with long-term care experience? I think you get the picture. As important as it is for you to select a place for you to thrive as a couple, it is equally important for you to select a location based upon the individual strengths of the Pharmacy school.

Since I have taught at several Pharmacy and Medical schools I can assure you that each University has unique strengths and weaknesses. Make sure that your choice factors in a congruence with your career goals, as well as a geography that appears to fit your needs. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula