Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:35 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
.....Those of us who are not liberal-commie-pinko-swine have a bit of problem with the 'attitude' here in Missoula, mostly fostered by transplants from CA, WA, OR, VT and other liberal bastions who delight in changing Montana to their way of feeling, (certainly not thinking). And they control the local government, the legislature and have elected both US Senators who espouse that liberal persuasion......
OK, first the caveat: Please don't take this as any kind of insult since my personal beliefs are probably congruent with some of yours'. I am a fiscal conservative, handshake-is-your-bond, "hang'em high" justice kind of guy.
However, how in the world did the majority of real Montanans let a few liberal transplants: "control the local government, the legislature and have elected both US Senators who espouse that liberal persuasion."?

You guys are going to have to fight a lot harder to keep the "Missoula attitude" from controlling all of Montana. Once they get outside University containment and over the city limit walls, they are going to eat through every inch of ranch land and prairie like locusts devouring your freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 07:09 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
And, if conservatism is your thing you dont have to venture far out of Missoula county to find some nuttty conservatives (Arynans, white nationalists, etc...)
That is an asinine thing to say. That comment implies that conservatives identify with racist groups.
By the way I didn't know there were there Ts in nutty ?! I'm just kidding about the spelling jab !

Old 06-27-2009, 06:25 AM

281 posts, read 869,790 times
I live outside of Missoula, but since I'm there ALOT I would like to comment and put the city into a realistic perspective. I think it's only fair to look at the cons, as well as the pro's.

It can get REAL cold. Did ya'll forget about that below zero cold snap last november? Accompanied by a sheet of ice on Brookes that didn't go away for over a week? It was insanity trying to drive on that. It was so cold, I felt like each root of my tooth was in burning pain. I'm from Alaska, a native btw, and I've experienced cold like that there too.

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of Missoula. :[ Sure, it can be pretty, but the pollution sucks. Bad. The drivers......ahh. My family and I have been in many near- misses since moving up. I don't care for the higgins hip strip. Nope. I'm quite liberal in my views, but when I come to town with my little one, I don't care to have to explain why the lady on the corner is wearing barely nothing on top as she hula hoops on the corner. Don't care for that at all. And I lived in Berkely California for 5 years (moved there to be with husband). I moved to Montana cause I don't care for all that -- but alas, it is there in Missoula.

Don't care much for all the starbucks, the south reserve box chain stores. I guess if you're a Californian, you *might* find some of that a creature comfort. I'm not sure. I know that I like to give my business to small businesses.

I don't know ::shrug:: I don't see much of anything that special about Missoula, but then again I've been alot of places..... and have seen nicer towns. I was far more impressed with little towns all up through the Flathead, ....Great Falls.

Good Luck. I'm sure you're gonna like it... Maybe because I've been here for awhile, the fascination has worn off.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:21 PM

369 posts, read 1,454,716 times
Interpol states:
Quote:
Seriously...Missoula just recently recieved an "F" in air quality from the American Lung Association...
As I said, something liberal weenies can work on! Close Smurfit-Stone and the one remaining lumber plant, put us all on bicycles and guess what? We'll still have days with inversion!

GLS asks:
Quote:
However, how in the world did the majority of real Montanans let a few liberal transplants: "control the local government, the legislature and have elected both US Senators who espouse that liberal persuasion."?
Rahm Emanual's deputy (White House CofS), (forgot his name), a Montana kid, recently bragged in an article how he learned the art of dirty politics in smearing incumbant Senator Conrad Burns as he ran the Jon Tester challenge. Tester won by a mere 1,600 votes, but had 10-15 times that many in Missoula alone. You do the math. Baucus has been a Senator so long it's painful and his war chest is heavy with right and left coast money. The city council is composed of a far-left tie-breaking mayor and 7 commie-pinko-swine councilpersons, mostly transplants. The other 5 are 4conservative Republicans and a blue-dog Democrat (although the positions are "non-partisan" - right ).

If you don't believe this can happen read "The Colorado Model" by Fred Barnes in the July 21, 2008 edition of the Weekly Standard. You can probably find it online. It's how liberals targeted and turned the state from red to blue in one or two cycles, and how they plan to do it again.

Interpol76 opines:
Quote:
No doubt Missoula has a liberal pocket, university/well educated people tend to be liberal.
That's about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. 'Well-educated' not; university people for sure tend to replicate their liberal selves by spreading their vile BS to unsuspecting students.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:14 AM

4 posts, read 33,488 times
Hi, I am a college student in Missoula and I have lived here for three years...I LOVE it!! (Montanan born and raised)
It is the best place in Montana in my opinion. (I've lived in Havre and Billings and dont like either). Missoula is definately a college town, especially the downtown/university area. There is always something going on. Whether you're into hunting, fishing, golfing, hiking, mountain biking, rafting, or skiing, you will find it here! People in Missoula are much more laid back than anywhere else i've ever been in montana.

Dont worry about the winter...it's nothing compared to eastern montana or the hi-line. Missoula has mild winters, usually just a few weeks of really cold weather (sometimes below zero, but most of the time it's above freezing).

The only thing i dont like about missoula is the insane housing prices! If you want to live near the U, you better fork it over!

Dont worry, you'll love it!

Old 07-03-2009, 12:34 AM

70 posts, read 119,965 times
Missoula: hell no, no way, no how! What are universities in Montana? A way to get an education to get a big city job outside Montana.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:11 AM

281 posts, read 869,790 times
Yeah. The cost of apartments are unbelievable. Don't know about condo's because you wouldn't catch me living in one.

I would have to say that I probably liked Missoula alot better before the development of South Reserve, and the migration of hundreds of people who want to turn it into another Berkeley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula