U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:19 PM

19 posts, read 37,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I think this thread is on track as the OP is not just interested in the university and has brought up all kinds of other issues relating to politics, the environment, economics, guns and other issues. The posters are just answering in the only ways they know how. Poor alizar14 will most likely never come back to these forums because folks jumped on him a bit hard and he kind of asked for it in a way.
I was polite and tried to be helpful but oh well.
Nah Iv just been very busy with all of my school work. Also remember Iv been trying to get information on Oregon State University so I don't spend much time on any single forum.

Actually The way I see it everyone has the right to believe what they want and if you truly feel like you know what you are doing, and you believe is the right thing then by all means continue to believe in it. We are in America after all we all have the right to think and act differently I have my own views on environmental issues that iv gotten from my different classes and observations you're views maybe different. I respect you're views will continue to look into them and consider them for future classes /questions to professors, but I will continue to believe and practice what I have learned.

Now back to the University issue.

Is anyone here an alumni of University of Montana or Montana State?

If so what major and what year did you graduate?

What was your experience in the school?

Was there a lot of cultural diversity?

Were the professors all Montana Residents or Alumni as well or did they come from all different parts of the country / world?

Hows the crime rate in Missoula?

How is the economic situation in terms of Education. Is the Education of Montana getting major cuts? Are schools struggling to get by and have to cut classes and staff hours?

Is the state of Montana fiscally responsible and managing their budget accordingly?

Here in CA due to the state being out of money thousands of teachers lost their jobs students were crammed into classes with hundreds of other students and some didn't even get to take the classes they were planning to not to mention the 32% tuition increase. There were major protests including some riots at many Universities, UCLA, Berkley & Santa Cruz to name a few had major buildings closed down and sealed off by students from the inside for 2 days.

Last edited by alazar14; 11-30-2009 at 11:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 03:41 AM

475 posts, read 1,315,165 times
Keep in mind that you will have to be a resident of the state for a specific length of time before you will qualify for in state tuition rates. According to the MSU web site you have to be a resident for 12 months. There are other requirements as well such as Driver's License, Vehicle Registration, Tax Filing etc. This information is available at the following link.

http://www.montana.edu/wwwcat/academic/acad1.html

Old 12-01-2009, 03:15 PM

19 posts, read 37,012 times
Yes I am aware of the tuition prices, but quite frankly with CA's UC systems 32% increase out of State Montana is competitive with In state CA UC school system.

If I am going to take out a student loan anyways I might as well go explore the country. Not to mention I am almost positive that I will be going there with a few scholarships under my belt.

If anyone can answer my questions about the university that would be great.

Thanks.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:43 PM

24 posts, read 113,076 times
I am a University of Montana alum. This link will help answer many of your questions:
Missoula Neighborhood Profile on Yahoo! Real Estate - Demographics, Cost of Living & more!

Here are some answers:

If so what major and what year did you graduate?
I have a B.A. in a liberal arts field (2001).

What was your experience in the school?

Loved the school and the town. Missoula is a very liberal and diverse (for Montana) town. About 12,000 students...large enough to not know everyone, but still small enough to see people you know. Class size ranged from 8 students to about 100. I lived in Missoula for four years and didn't want to leave.

Was there a lot of cultural diversity?

This is a difficult question to answer. Maybe not as diverse as the California schools that you are coming from, but still pretty diverse for Montana. You'll notice that over 90% of population is white. It is a liberal university town, so people call it the 'hippie' town. There's a great music scene, great bookstores, good locally-owned places to get coffee, good restaurants. There is a gay community in Missoula, demonstrations and activism for peace, environment, human rights, etc., etc., etc.

Were the professors all Montana Residents or Alumni as well or did they come from all different parts of the country / world?

My French prof was from France. My entire floor of professors were distinguished scholars from Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Stanford. There were others too. Yes, I would say, definately from all over the country, and from many places throughout the world. It may not be a top tier school, whatever those ratings mean anyway, but it provided a solid education from top scholars.

Hows the crime rate in Missoula?

How about 100 times better than where you are moving from...does that help? Missoula County has about 75,000 people and crime is about normal. You can check out city police dept websites and see if they publish crime stats online. I never experienced any problems...in my neighborhood, going downtown, or on campus. Seriously, in four years I knew of someone's bike getting stolen and someone else's car broken into to...and with nothing taken out of it.

How is the economic situation in terms of Education. Is the Education of Montana getting major cuts? Are schools struggling to get by and have to cut classes and staff hours?

I sure don't think so. I live in Arizona currently and our state and school system is close to the CA situation...a completely disasterous mess. But I have not heard anything from people in Montana. You can check the school paper archives (The Kaimin) and see if any key terms pop up (furlough, i.e.)

Is the state of Montana fiscally responsible and managing their budget accordingly?

I've been conducting research and work in Montana, Arizona, and Oregon with non-profits and state agencies. AZ is shutting down institutions, OR was cutting back hours at theirs, Montana (this summer) was still running strong.

I would make a final suggestion if you are in contact with the department that you will be working with. Ask a professor, or probably a helpful dept. admin about some of the concerns about cutbacks, etc. That admin position will know everything that is a concern for the dept, and therefore the school as a whole.

Good luck again, hope this helps.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:15 AM

649 posts, read 1,488,607 times
good job!!

Old 08-30-2010, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,531 times
Most people in Montana are not wealthy, and I have not found that they make fun of poor people--and certainly not people like you who have worked hard for everything they have.

Missoula is quite liberal and open-minded place. I imagine you'll find it easy to meet like-minded people. As you probably know, there aren't many Latinos in Montana. In my experience, Montanans (and Missoulians in particular) are not racist, but keep in mind that it is a very white state.

I attended the U of M and found that professors were extraordinarily accessible and helpful. I can't really speak to your job prospects, but being bilingual in the psychology field seems like a tremendous advantage. I'm sure your professors and fellow students will be able to provide you with plenty of insight there.

All in all, it sounds like a good fit for you. Of course, the winters can be quite long and cold , but spring, summer, and fall are glorious. Best of luck.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:52 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,810,745 times
If anyone is looking to come to the area, and then try to get everyone else to see "their" ways and ideas right off the bat, I'd say it would be better for the person to stay in California. Liberalism has worked out pretty good there hasn't it? (bankrupt, crime ridden and overpopulated...)

On the other hand, if you come here with an attitude of adapting to the way things are or at least having a "teachable" attitude that's a different story. In my opinion we don't have room for more whiny know it all types. Remember "tolerance" works both ways, but for some reason many liberals are only "tolerant" of people that believe the same things that they do, and can be very abrasive to everyone else. The same can be said of the far right, who are just as nuts in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula