U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 01:56 AM

19 posts, read 37,058 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

First off id like to tell you all a bit about myself.

Im a Hispanic male from South Cali.

I'm currently going to San Diego State University working on my BA for Psychology.

I want to do my graduate work in the personal therapy field.

I am considering 2 Universities very strongly Montana and Oregon

University of Montana

Reasons: I want to go to Montana

Lots of out doors and open space

Not very packed with people

Lots of Nature and close to Canada (Would like to visit)

Lots of farms, and I enjoy eating "real" food, I have to hide my chickens in the back ally of the house to get fresh eggs because chickens are not allowed in a house by the city in South Cali. Seems like it wouldn't be a problem to get fresh food in Montana. Real milk, cheese, and eggs for example.

A quiet place, I am a very quiet down to earth kind of guy. I like my privacy and value respect.

I ride a Motorcycle and from my understanding Montana has a lot of open roads to travel with little traffic, and a lot of beautiful scenery.

I think its one of those states where you can still live a nice peaceful life without all the crazy stuff from Hollywood and Los Angeles... and mainstream media

Reasons I am afraid of going to Montana

#1 I am a Lation male and even though I speak English well and am strong enough in the language to pass many college English classes I still have quite an accent. I don't know how bad racism is in Montana but from what Iv herd even though the state has less than 1 million people racism can be a problem for an outsider...

#2 I am a Liberal democrat, I don't even know how and if this is an issue. I know it would be in Northern Idaho.

#3 I don't know what kind of gun rules Montana has, I'm not to down with everyone around me having a gun and me being the oddball out.

#4 I don't know how the jobs are in the state, my career requires for a lot of people, not sure if there are cities with a lot of people or need / openings for therapists.

#5 I am very poor, my mother worked for many years to become a citizen of the US she grew up in the Slums of Jalisco. I was lucky enough to be born here but we are not wealthy at all. My mother worked here for 28 years and is now currently disabled. I am getting scholarships and financial aid to go to college. Am part of the Psychology Honors society. I don't know how the people of Montana view poor or under privileged people. I know if I went to Northern Cali like Berkley or Santa Cruz there is a lot of people who make fun of poverty. My cousin who is a transfer student from Universidad Autonoma de Mexico to Berkley with a 4.0 GPA was actually made fun of a few times for being poor and mentioning his past.

Any info on my concerns or on the way I view Montana will be appreciated, hope to get some replies soon thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 05:17 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,896,636 times
Wow, welcome to the Montana forum. You have quite a story.
IMO you might encounter more issues in Oregon than in Western Montana. I would encourage anyone to consider college here, cost are lower, schools are smaller. The gun issue makes me smile a little. It is not the wild west. Just a part of the country that is still working on the way things were once in our country. The weather will be an adjustment, but you can do it. Having a bike will be great. Just living something new will expand your abilities to help others.
Keep posting and good luck. Take a look at this.
Russell Country, Montana Motorcycle Rides and Routes
Official State of Montana Vacation, Recreation, Accommodations and Travel Information Website

Old 11-26-2009, 09:20 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,880,577 times
Default Wild west ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
The gun issue makes me smile a little. It is not the wild west
Dang all these years I've been fooling myself into thinking I lived in the "Wild West" I remember a few years ago I was riding (the Suz DR 650) in The Salish Mountains on C.S.K.T. lands and I had my Ruger 357 in a belt holster. I was stopped and talking to some guys (they were a bit lost) in the middle of the road when a tribal officer came along. After we got done with all the jaw jacking and looking at my maps the tribal cop asked my why I was packing a gun. I said because the constitution says I can and the Tribal regulations do not say I can't on tribally controlled property, so off he went and off I went. Yup I guess it isn't all that wild after all. The lost guys made it home ok, I took a lot of pictures without having to shoot a lion and the police officer actually gets a paycheck ! You'll be fine here, after all the name of our state is a Spanish word and our state motto is written in Spanish. Good luck to you but don't be surprised to come to Montana a liberal Democrat and soon become transformed into a conservative libertarian without even realizing it !

Old 11-26-2009, 11:34 AM

Thank you for such quick replies.

I actually wanted to know a few more things.

I notice from a google maps point of view that Montana has lost a lot of forest lately, it seems like there are a lot of deforested patches of land. Are the people of Montana aware of the harm that loosing such quantities of trees can cause the ecosystem of the state?

Are there people in Montana motivated to do something to rebuild some of that lost forested area?

I guess you could say I am a very big environmentalist, Had it not been for all of the math that was involved with it I would have become a Natural biologist to study plants and ecosystems.

The fact that we have caused long term damage to over 40% of the worlds usable land scares me a great deal, I try to do everything I can to inform people of the damages that are being done . I don't know if you guys are interested in that at all but I thought I would just put it out there.

Stop Consumption - Awakening

Anyways, Id like to ask you a few more questions about the University of Montana.

I have read many things online saying its a very high regarded school. A lot of very good professors are there and I wanted to know if there are large cities in Montana to keep these professionals who graduate with jobs, or are they moving away to other states?

What's the largest city in Montana?

How often do you get rain In Montana?

Old 11-26-2009, 11:59 AM

4,894 posts, read 5,775,084 times
Default wrong impression

In reading your last post, you have a VERY mistaken impression of why Montana is losing forest.

Thanks to environmentalists like yourself, Montana has no logging industry anymore.
Because we can no longer manage our forests, the forests are overgrown, large areas of deadfall, Pine Bark Beetle kill, and lots of stands of trees that are pretty much the same age so the trees mature and die at the same time.

This equals disaster in a dry year when the forests burn in huge flagrations pumping tons of carbon, fly ash, and smoke into the atmosphere while destroying drainages, homes, and huge swaths of timber.

We can no longer use the timber for building homes, cabins, or jobs.
We can no longer manage the forest to remove mature timber so young trees can grow.
We can no longer manage the forest so that the understory can grow. Our forests are sterile deserts with no feed or cover for the animals under the canopy. It is a dry, lifeless place where overburden of pine needles can pile up in drifts of 6 inches to a foot to provide a fuse for the fire to sterilize the land in "white ash fires" that burn so hot they sterilize the ground destroying all seeds and roots so that it takes a long time and a lot of money to reseed, not to mention fighting noxious weeds that take advantage of the sterilized soil.

We have had so much help from "well meaning" environmentalists that parts of our natural system has been severely damages so it may never fully recover.

You won't be descriminated against in most of the state for being hispanic, but Missoula is probably the only place your skewed views of the environment will be welcomed.

If you wish to learn how the environment actually works, talk to the Forest Service or a Logger.

Leave the Politically Correct garbage in California where it belongs.

We actually care about our land and know how to manage it for the benefit of Humans, Animals and plants to protect the land and all its occupants.

An elitist attutude will not be met with civility and decorim. If you wish to come here and "enlighten" us po' dum rednecks, stay in California.
If you wish to come here and learn about the real world outside of the propaganda of the mainstream media and the "green" religion, then welcome. Just keep the liberal mantra to yourself outside of "North Berkley".

Oh, One last thing, according to my friends in Law Enforcement, it is taken for granted by them that EVERY vehicle they stop will probably have a firearm of some kind.
If freedom to exercise the right to keep and bear arms bothers you, you won't be comfortable here. Stay in California where the draconian gun laws have done such a wonderful job of keeping crime to a minimum.

Oh, By the way Rickers, Montana and Oro y Plata are Latin not Spanish.
When it was debated in the legislature and the national Congress for admission to the Union in 1889, it was just prior to the Spanish American war and we weren't on good terms with Spain and all things Spanish so it was very explicit that the words were LATIN, the base of the Spanish language, but not Spanish.

While the Spanish empire and the Mexican empire did cover land up to Wyoming, Montana was never really part of the old empire prior to the Mexican American war of the 1850's.

Off the soapbox now...for now.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:30 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,957,959 times
Montana is Spanish and Oro Y Plata is Latin.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:37 PM

That's actually something very interesting you just said there. Now I don't remember hearing anything like that on any of my Biology or Ecology classes. I think that Ill spend the day doing a bit of research on just what type of forest Montana has and Ill probably call a few of my professors to get some clarity on that issue.

I do know that cutting down trees in the Amazon is not helping but those trees take in most cases hundreds of years to grow back, so cutting them down and making room for Soybean farms to feed the livestock is not a good thing. Especially when people use slash and burn tactics.

That being said from what I can see so far Montana's forests have a large amount of pine which can grow back quite rapidly in comparison to tropical plants.

Now I never Intended to offend anyone with my post and If you took it that way I apologize. However I do truly care about the environment and wanted to know what people thought about all the empty patches of land around the West Montana area.

I don't mind the gun thing, but I'm wondering just how dangerous it can be, since some one can just go inside of your home and rob you at gunpoint. Although if everyone had a gun I guess people would be most likely to behave.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:08 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,896,636 times
Imagine if you can one law enforcement officer for a county of around 1500 square miles.
That is the reality of parts of Montana. You cannot imagine the vastness here, the open areas. Stip is correct in his summation of the forest areas. The hands of the proper managers are tied until we have a disastrous fire. Trees are a renewable product but when everyone wants to live the Montana experiance then resources are spent trying to save structures that should not have been built there to begin with.
Now,
Let us start over and try to maybe narrow down your questions to school. You are still in an academic world, so your views are still a little influence.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:20 AM

369 posts, read 1,300,908 times
alazar14 states:

Quote:
I do know that cutting down trees in the Amazon is not helping but those trees take in most cases hundreds of years to grow back

One of the primary reasons trees are being cut in South American and Far Eastern jungles (I detest the politically correct word 'rain forest') is that we cannot log here in the US to meet the demand. Man needs wood. Our forests are much more productive than jungles are, and you are correct, they grow back fairly quickly. Enviornmentalists and liberal Democrats have screwed up this country beyond recognition. If you are coming here with the purpose of adding to the mess, you will not be welcome.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:41 AM

24 posts, read 113,161 times
Well, I see you unintentionally tapped into some of the sensitive issues of our state, but please don't think that snide defensive responses are the only thing our state has to offer. I'd love to help answer some of your questions, but first I'll take a moment to stand on my soapbox:

Please everyone recognize the fact that 'environmentalists' are not destroying our rights, our country, or the logging industry. Please. It's not that simple. Just because someone is wanting to repair the forest, doesn't mean they are an 'environmentalist'. Also, just because someone is part of the logging industry, doesn't mean that they are destroying that forest. The problem in this whole larger debate and issue is that people tend to blindly support one side or the other based off of misunderstandings. We need both sides. Environmentalists live in houses made of timber. Loggers need trees and forests to work, and therefore probably think much more about maintaining and repairing the forest than 'environmentalists' realize. So, realize what you both bring to the table and please stop being so defensive. Just because someone (who happens to be from California) is questioning how we care for our forests doesn't mean that person is automatically condemning a profession. There are larger forces at work here, granted, but most people value similar things.

Alright, now to your questions:

#1 I am a Lation male and even though I speak English well and am strong enough in the language to pass many college English classes I still have quite an accent. I don't know how bad racism is in Montana but from what Iv herd even though the state has less than 1 million people racism can be a problem for an outsider...

Shouldn't be bad at all...look at some of the other posts on this topic in this forum. Also, Missoula is a college town with people attending from all over the world.

#2 I am a Liberal democrat, I don't even know how and if this is an issue. I know it would be in Northern Idaho.

Missoula is a very, very liberal town. I attended college there and it is an excellent school and location.

#3 I don't know what kind of gun rules Montana has, I'm not to down with everyone around me having a gun and me being the oddball out.

Montana has an unfair reputation along these lines. People hunt in Montana, they have ranches, farms, and happen to own guns. This is an important right that usually hangs in the balance with larger urban crime. I've lived in Montana and I've lived in large urban areas...seeing a gun in Montana seems normal whereas in the city (such as in California) would mean automatic trouble.

#4 I don't know how the jobs are in the state, my career requires for a lot of people, not sure if there are cities with a lot of people or need / openings for therapists.

Hard to determine...Missoula county has about 75,000 people. Jobs in a specific field are hit or miss.

#5 I am very poor, my mother worked for many years to become a citizen of the US she grew up in the Slums of Jalisco. I was lucky enough to be born here but we are not wealthy at all. My mother worked here for 28 years and is now currently disabled. I am getting scholarships and financial aid to go to college. Am part of the Psychology Honors society. I don't know how the people of Montana view poor or under privileged people. I know if I went to Northern Cali like Berkley or Santa Cruz there is a lot of people who make fun of poverty. My cousin who is a transfer student from Universidad Autonoma de Mexico to Berkley with a 4.0 GPA was actually made fun of a few times for being poor and mentioning his past.

The cost of living in Montana is much lower than California. People tend to make much less money. Often it has been said that no one moves to Montana to get rich, at least not anymore. You have lived in the California 'bubble' where 'plastic' people living lifestyles beyond their means run rampant (I've lived there before and speak from first hand experience). You will not experience this in Montana since most people seem grounded and are used to not having loads of extra money. Being made fun of for being poor? Not much of that in Montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula