U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,272 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
My family and I recently started to look into moving, me being the avid fisherman I am, decided to look around the Missoula area. I have been looking at the posts here and noticed most of you don't care for Missoula too much. Why is that? I'm curious because I am supposed to test next month for the police department there and am starting to wonder if its a mistake. I don't know the area very well, but I know that employment required I live within 30 mins of Missoula. So any suggestions on a nice quiet area to raise the kids, provided of course I accept or am offered the job. I dont want to live inside the city and from what I'm gathering from the posts here the cost of homes are high. Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 05:26 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,912,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfisher2009 View Post
Hey all,
My family and I recently started to look into moving, me being the avid fisherman I am, decided to look around the Missoula area. I have been looking at the posts here and noticed most of you don't care for Missoula too much. Why is that? I'm curious because I am supposed to test next month for the police department there and am starting to wonder if its a mistake. I don't know the area very well, but I know that employment required I live within 30 mins of Missoula. So any suggestions on a nice quiet area to raise the kids, provided of course I accept or am offered the job. I dont want to live inside the city and from what I'm gathering from the posts here the cost of homes are high. Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Jon
Hi and welcome to the board, someone will be along to help you. Montana is a huge state with many different climates and folks! We are a friendly crowd here so come back and often. Have you looked into the other areas of the state?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 AM

4,911 posts, read 5,798,823 times
Welcome to the Montana boards jdfisher2009

The Peoples Republic of Missoula, or Berkley North is our liberal enclave in the state and at odds with the values of most of the rest of the residents.

It is a beautiful area and there are several smaller towns within close distance to Missoula that are very nice to live in. Frenchtown is one that is pretty popular.

Missoula has the college, and there is a lot of drug use there and it is somewhat accepted. Last year the mayor told police to stop bothering the stoners for having and using pot as example.

It has the highest population of enviro wackos, gays, there are more illegal alians there than anywhere else in the state, and just about every other leftist group and so it is very different from the rest of the state politically.

I personally don't like trying to drive there, the congestion is horrendous for Montana.

One thing they do need is good police officers. I am sure you could enjoy living there as there is a lot of fishing and hunting within easy driving distance. If you have your kids in one of the outlying towns they would get a good education and be a lot safer than in the larger metro areas you are used to in Texas.

Missoula isn't a bad town, per se, just very different from the rest of the state and is easy to make fun of.

I agree with MT-7, (still getting used to that name change thing ), that there are other cities and towns that need good police officers that are much nicer to live in, but may not offer the wages you seek. It is expensive, no hiding that, but most of Montana west of the divide is so you will run into that right away. The prices are coming down now in other areas. I talked to my brother who works in Bozeman and there are very nice 3 bedroom 2 bath units with a 2 car garage that are brand new - never lived in going for as little as $150,000 now which is a huge price reduction.

Good Luck and welcome to the Montana Board

Old 02-10-2010, 08:03 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,416,312 times
Even the most big city part of Missoula will feel small in comparison to Dallas.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:23 AM

352 posts, read 1,006,296 times
Welcome to the boards, Jon.

Missoula does differ from much of the rest of Montana, but is just another facet of a big place.

Now is a good time to be on the hunt for housing, things took a beating here, not as bad as other places, but I've seen some significant reductions in the Bozeman area, and it equates in some respects to the Missoula country. I would tend to hunt west and south of town, but my bet is that after city life you might find outlying suburbs of Missoula to be acceptable - and there's some outskirts properties that are very rural-feeling.

And I'm betting that you'll find working in Missoula somewhat different than DFW. Good luck and hope to see you out and about someday!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:06 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,013,058 times
Conservatives in Montana tend to HATE Missoula because there is a liberal element there. A lot of them want Montana to be nothing but right-wing crazies for whatever reason. Personally, I lived there for many years and loved the fact that it is a city that mixes liberals and conservatives. Although, most of the conservatives there tend to live in the country itself. But don't be fooled, yes, there are crazy leftists in Missoula, but there are also crazy right extremists there too (just take a trip West of town and visit some of the cities along I-90 if you don't believe me)..... If you want to live in a nice area outside of town to raise kids I would suggest Frenchtown, although it is probobly not much cheaper than Missoula.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:49 AM

8,536 posts, read 6,374,660 times
WOW, you folks are great. I learn so much when I come to your forum!! I didn't know Montana was so Political. I love it.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:20 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,912,703 times
Well stop by the visit thread and make an introduction.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 7,272 times
I appreciate everyone's replys, I have been looking all over and not stuck on Missoula. It just so happens they won't make me jump through hoops to get certified as a Montana police officer. No offense at to any of you, but the county I live in has more people in it than all of Montana..lol. So probably what you guys consider heavy traffic is normal non rush hour traveling conditions here. I heard alot about Frenchtown, how far is it from Missoula. Also if anyone knows of any other good police agenices looking for officers, let me know I'm open to explore the possibilities. Oh ya I bet the work environment will be different, it gets crazy around these parts. Not to mention the famed Montana winter..lol, even though we got about 6" of snow yesterday.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:15 PM

4,911 posts, read 5,798,823 times
Good point Jon, but it is all proportional. We don't have as many people, but our roads aren't designed to handle the volume of traffic in larger metro areas, so you put fewer people on smaller roads, it is still gridlock. Of course I prefer areas where rush hour is when you have to wait at the stop sign for 3 cars to pass before you can pull out.

I spoke to Colonel Toole of the State Highway patrol a couple of weeks ago, and the Highway Patrol, (kind of like a State Trooper) is constantly recruiting.

Nearly every larger metro area in the state i know of is recruiting, and a lot of the smaller departments are doing everything they can to get more personnel.

Good Cops are always at a premium here.

We also have the Sheriffs Departments that handle county issues. You could check out some of the areas you would like to live in, and contact the City/County Government and I am sure you could land a job quickly if you have the proper certifications and a good employment history.

Other friends of mine in Law Enforcement are constantly complaining of being short handed. Towns are paying for recruits to go to the Law Acadamy, and using the recruits as reserve or auxillary personnel on active duty until they complete the courses.

Even the Fish Wildlife and Parks are recruiting wardens for law enforcement.

Check out where you want to live, what ameneties you want as each part of the state is very different from the others.
Once you find an area you like, then contact the city or county or the Montana Job Service.

It's a good bet you would have no trouble getting certified and put on full time quickly.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula