U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-20-2010, 03:05 AM

3 posts, read 12,324 times
Default Moving to Missouri from California

My friend and I are moving to Liberty Missouri from Los Angeles California. We have never been to Mo before and want to know what to expect. How is the employment opportunities out there? What are the people like? Also what differences do you think there are between life in Missouri and life in California? Whether its just an opinion or you have actually been to both states I would like to hear your input. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 05:38 AM

1,273 posts, read 907,219 times
Well its been a few years since I've been to California but you will find it more slowed down here.From what I've heard lately Job Market is better here not great but better.And ofcourse more humid and cold.

Oh more Green!

brushrunner

Old 08-20-2010, 06:06 AM

1,817 posts, read 3,607,894 times
Curious, why any move if you don't know anything about the place you are moving to? I've lived in both states but was residing in northern California instead of southern.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:29 AM

9,556 posts, read 4,613,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shash View Post
My friend and I are moving to Liberty Missouri from Los Angeles California. We have never been to Mo before
Wait a cotton pickin minute there Shash, You've never been to Missoui? and your moving there from Cali????
Is this a done deal? I ask because there is a lot of homework you should have done before deciding on a move like this!
Do you like California? if you answered yes, DON'T MOVE TO MISSOURI..if you answered no, please continue....
There has been a lot of folks who moved to Missouri from California and just hated it, and there are some who love it, and some who are just ok with it.
You can't compare the weather, we (California) have the best weather on the planet, 2 months of kinda chilly out and 10 months of let's play..Missouri has four distinct seasons, 0 degree winters to hot humid summers, and it rains all year, with big noisy thunderstorms that will shake you windows, and rattle your teeth...Lightening that goes all the way across the sky, an occasional tornado, frequent tornado warnings, some hail as big as golfballs, and bugs the size of seagulls, lots of them..........
No Ocean... nope none... The Ozarks, that the local's will call Mountains would'nt even qualify as foothills in California, not alot of shopping oppurtunities, pretty much a walmart dominated area....
A very noticeable lack of diversity, and not to welcoming to outsiders trying to bring in progressive thinking, yep these hillbillies like things the way they are, and don't want us left coasters coming in to try to help them, and bring them up to the standards we expect...
Paved roads??? in the area my kin folks live in the only paved roads are the hiways, all the other roads are gravel, really makes it tough on the fancy import cars with the big shiny wheels, and then they don't even bother naming the streets, they just call them road 1, 2 , 3 ,4 or maybe a, b, c. no cool names like Martin Luther King Boulevard or Cezaer Chavez Parkway...
and the people in Missouri have this rude habit of greeting and talking to people, they don't avert thier eyes and look at the ground, they actually try to look you in the eye and speak to you, you'd think that thet didn't relize we are in hurry or something...
I'd suggest a visit or two first before commiting to a move, there is some culture shock.....
and as for work, top dollar in Missouri is usually minimum wage, and that's not California Minimum wage, it's Federal Minimum wage...lot's of post on here about no jobs and low wages in Missouri....

Old 08-20-2010, 12:19 PM

1,817 posts, read 3,607,894 times
Just one thing. So the kind folks around the country who haven't been to California do understand, the entire state of California doesn't have that great weather I keep hearing about. I don't know how many people assume I, having arrived with plates from California, will be shocked come winter here. HA, little do they know the long months of cold weather and feet snow snow I've come from.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:45 PM

1,518 posts, read 1,946,460 times
I would guess the bigger adjustment will not be moving from CA to MO but moving from from urban/suburban CA to rural MO.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,843 times
I live in kansas. Liberty is close to KC and is definately a big change from LA. I havent been to LA but I have been to San Diego. The biggest difference I would think is that there is less traffic and less to do. You could probably still find some of the same things that you enjoy in that area. Finding a job would depend on your education and experience level. =)

Old 08-20-2010, 01:04 PM

5,290 posts, read 5,832,642 times
Be careful. definitely rent for a few months before deciding to stay. Missouri is not for everyone as Cali Bass man correctly pointed out. I returned to CA (orange County) after living in Missouri for 2 years. I absolutely hated the place.

And it wasn't just the rural nature of the place, since I grew between two farms in NY and lived in West Virginia for 5 years and have very fond memories of both places. You can PM me if you want.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:15 PM

3 posts, read 12,324 times
Thanks for all your replies. I know it might sound a little crazy moving to somewhere I have never been but I hate California pretty much. Dont like the people, the traffic, the weather ect lol I wont miss the beaches either... I want a big change and from everything you all have said about Missouri sounds like what I want.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:15 PM

95 posts, read 281,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Wait a cotton pickin minute there Shash, You've never been to Missoui? and your moving there from Cali????
Is this a done deal? I ask because there is a lot of homework you should have done before deciding on a move like this!
Do you like California? if you answered yes, DON'T MOVE TO MISSOURI..if you answered no, please continue....
There has been a lot of folks who moved to Missouri from California and just hated it, and there are some who love it, and some who are just ok with it.
You can't compare the weather, we (California) have the best weather on the planet, 2 months of kinda chilly out and 10 months of let's play..Missouri has four distinct seasons, 0 degree winters to hot humid summers, and it rains all year, with big noisy thunderstorms that will shake you windows, and rattle your teeth...Lightening that goes all the way across the sky, an occasional tornado, frequent tornado warnings, some hail as big as golfballs, and bugs the size of seagulls, lots of them..........
No Ocean... nope none... The Ozarks, that the local's will call Mountains would'nt even qualify as foothills in California, not alot of shopping oppurtunities, pretty much a walmart dominated area....
A very noticeable lack of diversity, and not to welcoming to outsiders trying to bring in progressive thinking, yep these hillbillies like things the way they are, and don't want us left coasters coming in to try to help them, and bring them up to the standards we expect...
Paved roads??? in the area my kin folks live in the only paved roads are the hiways, all the other roads are gravel, really makes it tough on the fancy import cars with the big shiny wheels, and then they don't even bother naming the streets, they just call them road 1, 2 , 3 ,4 or maybe a, b, c. no cool names like Martin Luther King Boulevard or Cezaer Chavez Parkway...
and the people in Missouri have this rude habit of greeting and talking to people, they don't avert thier eyes and look at the ground, they actually try to look you in the eye and speak to you, you'd think that thet didn't relize we are in hurry or something...
I'd suggest a visit or two first before commiting to a move, there is some culture shock.....
and as for work, top dollar in Missouri is usually minimum wage, and that's not California Minimum wage, it's Federal Minimum wage...lot's of post on here about no jobs and low wages in Missouri....
Oh fiddlesticks... (only to some of what you said)
I'm from Central California and it was HOT there, worse than MO at times.

I have never seen any bugs the size of seagulls, but that WOULD be interesting to see....

T-storms don't rattle your teeth (just your eyeballs)...

Noticeable lack of diversity??? Who needs diversity?

The people in MO have this rude habit of greeting and talking to people? Ya, that's true... I'm one of them now.

As for there being some culture shock, it is more like a culture BLESSING for some!

I think you can tell that I'm one of the Califoreigners who love it here.
I was just wondering.... Are you buddies with Ozarkboy now or somethin'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri