Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:46 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The Yankee hordes that have invaded Florida have attempted to do that. The natives and long-timers just laugh at them, and go about their business, only a bit slower, just to annoy the Yankees.
Bravo to the natives and long-timers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 01:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtingdreams View Post
Okay, I've lived in mo all my life. And I can tell you with newer generations and out-of-staters coming in the hospitality is going out. Sure the old farmers still talk to each other but where does everyone else figure in. I went to a new neighbours house to invite them to dinner. They had a shocked look on their face and now think they have a crazy lady living down the road. Why can't we go back to the early years where neighbour helped neighbour? Someone was sick or family member passed on everyone brought food over. Yes people are different but blue hair or not can't we keep it up? Not everyone in this world is bad so why are we treating everone as if they are going to rob us bind? And I know somewhere out there, there are pockets of it but as a whole where did it go? and why have we stopped?
Manners in general have gone out the window. You sound like a great neighbor to have. Bless their little hearts if the new neighbors are to selfish to recognize the gift of a good neighbor. I suspect they'll live there time there and not reach out to another neighbor the way you did for them. The loss is theirs.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:31 PM

45 posts, read 79,704 times
Thanks lifelongMOgal, at lesat you guys haven't qualified me as crazy! Well I guess I'll keep on trying. Maybe one day I can help them out of a bind and them realize What neighbors are for. I may not be able to make everyone from MO and Coming to MO behave like good neighbors should but I will keep on keepin on. But to all who read this here in MO and away in other states please make an effort at hospitality towards EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:48 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Thanks lifelongMOgal, at lesat you guys haven't qualified me as crazy! Well I guess I'll keep on trying. Maybe one day I can help them out of a bind and them realize What neighbors are for. I may not be able to make everyone from MO and Coming to MO behave like good neighbors should but I will keep on keepin on. But to all who read this here in MO and away in other states please make an effort at hospitality towards EVERYONE!!!!!!!!
Always have, always will.
We are pretty much in your same situation down here, not really a neighborhood, just about a dozen houses on a road.
I know all my neighbors by name, their children, pets, etc.
They are always ready to help, and vice-versa. Its a good thing!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 PM

140 posts, read 273,747 times
Quote:
I agree...keep on being a good neighbor, and maybe some day they'll understand. If they don't...well, it's their loss!

Old 09-16-2010, 10:59 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I've never been to MO but I do hope to visit one day. I also hope not too many CA people move there. I'd hate to come to a "Californicated" state in the midwest.lol
Visit, right? Not move here because then you'd be part of Californicating it. If it's just visit then come on along, bring your friends, spend lots of your CA cash here and please shut the door quietly on your way back to the left coast.

Thank you kindly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
He sort of makes me want to go to Rolla and see what all the fuss is about.
Been there. Met him. Both very pleasant.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:05 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Visit, right? Not move here because then you'd be part of Californicating it. If it's just visit then come on along, bring your friends, spend lots of your CA cash here and please shut the door quietly on your way back to the left coast.

Thank you kindly!
Curmudgeon, be nice to CamaroGuy, he could fit in quite easily.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:06 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
You just don't want too many moving in for fear that they may want to impose some of the same wingnut progressive ideas that have ruined California in so many ways.
Yes, before long, they'll enact laws where you can only smoke on the roof of your house or in the middle of the streets.

You haven't been to California, seen the Smoking Permitted Here Only signs painted into the middle of the streets?

Old 09-17-2010, 07:20 AM

694 posts, read 1,356,236 times
Quote:
Okay, I've lived in mo all my life. And I can tell you with newer generations and out-of-staters coming in the hospitality is going out. Sure the old farmers still talk to each other but where does everyone else figure in. I went to a new neighbours house to invite them to dinner. They had a shocked look on their face and now think they have a crazy lady living down the road. Why can't we go back to the early years where neighbour helped neighbour? Someone was sick or family member passed on everyone brought food over. Yes people are different but blue hair or not can't we keep it up? Not everyone in this world is bad so why are we treating everone as if they are going to rob us bind? And I know somewhere out there, there are pockets of it but as a whole where did it go? and why have we stopped?

Well fiddle sticks!! I was in your town last weekend for the Apple Festival and didn't know someone was offering home cooked meals!!

Old 09-17-2010, 09:48 AM

45 posts, read 79,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Well fiddle sticks!! I was in your town last weekend for the Apple Festival and didn't know someone was offering home cooked meals!!
Ya for free even, not an arm and a leg for a corn dog!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri