Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 07:51 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripster2 View Post
Ok the fair just started and let me tell you what they have this year:

Deep fried Twinkies
Deep fried snickers
Deep fried Avocado's
Deep fried cheesecake
Deep fried peanut butter, banana, and honey sandwiches

Weird huh?!!!
Do they deep fry all of these things at the same time in the same deep fryer? And why would anyone want to ruin a perfectly good tasty treat such as cheesecake and go and deep fry said morsel?

And the more I read your post, I am now wondering just how do they keep the honey from escaping into the mess? Awww, come on now, you are joking aren't ya?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 09:54 PM

72 posts, read 280,130 times
Default No joke

The deep fried things I posted are real. The peanut butter, banana, and honey sandwich is actually famous as Elvis favorite sandwich! He used to get them all the time they say.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:52 PM

318 posts, read 727,026 times
Deep fried foods are definately something you can't eat all the time. They are those foods that should be in their own food group, but once in a blue moon can't clog your arteries that bad... right? Now the deep fried avacados... Why?

Old 07-29-2007, 02:36 PM

55 posts, read 280,288 times
Thumbs up Fried (Dill) Pickles

I know I don't live in MO (I have been to Cape Gird. dozens of times tho) I do know that here in the Carolinas & in Cincinnati, OH area, "Hooters" does have the fried dill pickle slices & they are absolutelty to die for!! Also here in the Carolinas quite a few of the BBQ joints offer them too. In Cincinnati area, the only other place we found them was a little family restr. called "Toots", in fact, that's where I first had them about 5 years ago & I was HOOKED! For all those that say they don't like pickles, let me tell ya a short story. Last month we had our 9 yr. old granddaughter (who lives in Norfolk, VA) stay with us a couple of weeks up in Greenville, NC. While there, we had burgers & sandwiches to eat & I kept offering her pickles until she finally informed me that she HATES pickles, ALL pickles!! So one day we stopped at Hooters for a couple of appetizers ( I was having withdrawal, I had gone about 4 wks without any fried pickles!) & she ordered the cheese sticks & we ordered the pickles. Well, she had eaten a couple of her cheese sticks, & all of a sudden her little hand crept to the basket of pickles & she says, "Maybe I'll just try one", & the little scamp ended up eating over half of the order!! So much for not liking pickles!! Our Hooters here in Spartanburg just opened a month ago, & let me tell ya, I've never been so anxious for a place to open, it's less than a mile from home, in fact, I think I'll call now for an order to go!

Old 08-21-2007, 02:57 PM

791 posts, read 1,819,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommom View Post
I know I don't live in MO (I have been to Cape Gird. dozens of times tho) I do know that here in the Carolinas & in Cincinnati, OH area, "Hooters" does have the fried dill pickle slices & they are absolutelty to die for!! Also here in the Carolinas quite a few of the BBQ joints offer them too. In Cincinnati area, the only other place we found them was a little family restr. called "Toots", in fact, that's where I first had them about 5 years ago & I was HOOKED! For all those that say they don't like pickles, let me tell ya a short story. Last month we had our 9 yr. old granddaughter (who lives in Norfolk, VA) stay with us a couple of weeks up in Greenville, NC. While there, we had burgers & sandwiches to eat & I kept offering her pickles until she finally informed me that she HATES pickles, ALL pickles!! So one day we stopped at Hooters for a couple of appetizers ( I was having withdrawal, I had gone about 4 wks without any fried pickles!) & she ordered the cheese sticks & we ordered the pickles. Well, she had eaten a couple of her cheese sticks, & all of a sudden her little hand crept to the basket of pickles & she says, "Maybe I'll just try one", & the little scamp ended up eating over half of the order!! So much for not liking pickles!! Our Hooters here in Spartanburg just opened a month ago, & let me tell ya, I've never been so anxious for a place to open, it's less than a mile from home, in fact, I think I'll call now for an order to go!
Pommom,

That's a great story!!! Thank you so much for sharing with us. It's always nice to hear when we've got another 'convert' amongst us.

We've got a Hooters here in the Springfield area, and I'm hoping to check out their Fried Pickles soon. We tried them at the one in Statesville, NC, and they weren't too bad, so I'm anxious to see if they're just as good here in MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripster2
Ok the fair just started and let me tell you what they have this year:

Deep fried Twinkies
Deep fried snickers
Deep fried Avocado's
Deep fried cheesecake
Deep fried peanut butter, banana, and honey sandwiches

Weird huh?!!!
Gripster, great info. It follows in the lines of the topic discussing non-standard fried faire. Thanks for throwing it into the mix....it's fun to learn of other strange foods being discovered. I've heard of all of these, with the exception of Fried Avocados. And because I'm such a fan of fried foods, (one look at me proves it) , I'd be willing to try 'em all. And to be brutally honest...I'd probably become an instant addict. LOL

As for 'why' someone even thought of deep frying these items....I'm sure I don't know. What I do know, is that experimenting with food has led to some wonderful discoveries....fried & unfried. And if it's about food, I'm all over it. LOL hehehehe

Everyone has contributed to this tread wonderfully. Many thanks to you all!!!

Signing Out,
Boof

PS: Sorry for taking so long to respond.....It's been a little nuts, and I just lost track of things.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:31 PM

430 posts, read 1,263,788 times
Fried Rice Krispy Treats.......and you thought that nothing else could make them taste better......they are yummy!!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:15 PM

48 posts, read 139,759 times
Camp Bagnell on Hwy 54 just outside Lake of the Ozarks has awesome fried pickles! Great catfish too!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:13 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,680 times
wow .. after you eat a fried twinkie can you breath ..do you have chest pains .. sorry that sounds gross .. I remember walmart selling a Twinkie frier at one time .. it was a kit!

Fried Avocados ...... can you say not what I have in mind when I think of avocados .......... facials, doritos yes but fried .............

Old 08-25-2007, 01:29 AM

871 posts, read 1,984,735 times
I cannot believe I have not read this thread till now. I now have to go to a Hooters to try these pickles. MY husband, I will have to drag him their kicking and screamin. YOU know married men dont want to go to Hooters anymore so I will have to drag him there to try these pickles.
I dont know if anyones mentioned this or not but have you all had fried broccoli or cauliflower. Good stuff maynerd. Good stuff!

Old 08-25-2007, 12:03 PM

791 posts, read 1,819,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Nana View Post
Fried Rice Krispy Treats.......and you thought that nothing else could make them taste better......they are yummy!!
Yummmmm Yummmmm....that's a new one on me....but dang...I'd have to try me one uh dem too! Anyone got a napkin??? I'm droolin' here!!! LOLOLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by slahgirl View Post
Camp Bagnell on Hwy 54 just outside Lake of the Ozarks has awesome fried pickles! Great catfish too!
Yeah, another fried pickle haven....just what we needed!!! Ya know, I should map all these out. Then, when we're on the road, we'll know in advance were to get a 'fix'. Thanks for helping the cause. Always a good thing!
(I left ya a little sumpthin sumpthin for yer troubles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beamissourian View Post
wow .. after you eat a fried twinkie can you breath ..do you have chest pains .. sorry that sounds gross .. I remember walmart selling a Twinkie frier at one time .. it was a kit! .............
Maybe they should have included an oxygen tank with the kit, whaddaya think B2? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post
I cannot believe I have not read this thread till now. I now have to go to a Hooters to try these pickles. MY husband, I will have to drag him their kicking and screamin. YOU know married men dont want to go to Hooters anymore so I will have to drag him there to try these pickles.
I dont know if anyones mentioned this or not but have you all had fried broccoli or cauliflower. Good stuff maynerd. Good stuff!
BAC,

Where you been, you slacker???? LOL Geez girl, here we are talkin' 'bout Fried Pickles, and you're off lolly gaggin' around in other threads. LOL hehehehe Well, that's ok, we'll cut ya some slack since you did actually make it here. Finally!!!

Yah, Hooters has some good fried pickles. They don't put as much batter on the pickles as I like, but they're still goooooood stuff Maynard!!!

As for the fried Broccoli & Cauliflower, where'd you find that at??? That's probably some good stuff right there. Names girl....I need some NAMES. LOLOL

This has turned out to be a pretty cool thread.....look at all the artery cloggin, cholesterol raisin', hip paddin' vittles we're discovering. I'll get the Ranch Dressin' and we can start snarfin' down!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/eatdrink020.gif (broken link)

Ready For A Road Trip,
Boof
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri