U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 05:25 PM

45 posts, read 84,939 times

Advertisements

After analyzing every nitty gritty detail and aspect, the pros and cons of moving and taking a new job, we have decided to TAKE THE PLUNGE! We are moving out to Saint Joseph next spring. My husband will actually begin work there in early September so he will be commuting every week.

We are very excited and have a ton to do before March 08, but St Jo - here we come!

If StJoefanatic and Northbayeric want to keep in touch, and anyone else for that matter, please send me a private message. It will be fun to have 'friends' in the area when we arrive!

Thanks all for the info and conversation so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 10:54 PM

2,124 posts, read 2,993,846 times
Smile Wow! That's tremendous news!

That is tremendous news, and certainly I would be more than happy to remain in touch with you. Absolutely! Most of my relatives live in the eastern half of Missouri, so it would be great to have you and StJoeFanatic among our first contacts.

It may be a somewhat bittersweet experience leaving Denver, but I'm confident that the transition will be an easy one and you'll really come to feel quickly that StJo is very much "home." It is going to be so pretty there when you move in the spring, with the grass turning green and everything coming into bloom, too! I'll keep you and your husband in my prayers and thoughts, and hope the commute for him between now and April won't be too grueling. At least the KC Airport is a short distance away.

As for me, I'm moving steadily ahead with getting our house and back yard fixed up so we'll be able to get ready to put it up for sale. It's a real possibility that we too might be "taking the plunge" in March as well. Could be a little later, could be sooner depending on what I can find on the employment front. On my trip there next month, I'll be planting a whole lot of seeds, so to speak!

Again, all the best to you as you get ready for this big change. I think the best is yet to come for all of us (you too, StJoeFanatic! ); and we can both hope SJFanatic's house is sold and she's in her new place real soon!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:09 AM

97 posts, read 243,938 times
alexisnicolem-
That is FANTASTIC NEWS! I know you are a bit apprehensive about the move...but you shouldn't be. It will all work out just fine! And yes, we will have to stay in touch!

I wanted to post here an article in from this mornings paper, about a new "spot" downtown that I think you & your hubby might enjoy.

Again, congrats!

Dressing Up Downtown-St. Joseph Newspress 08/10/07

Crystal Mangos knows what it's like to be all dressed up and have nowhere to go in St. Joseph.

Moderator cut: copyrights

Last edited by Yac; 12-07-2007 at 07:43 AM..

Old 08-10-2007, 08:14 AM

97 posts, read 243,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
it would be great to have you and StJoeFanatic among our first contacts.
I soooo totally agree!

Quote:
and we can both hope SJFanatic's house is sold and she's in her new place real soon!
Well, I have an update on that very topic: For the past month and a half, I have been in e-mail correspondence with a couple from another state in regards to our house. They were asking all the "right" questions...like, can the fireplace be switched from wood burning to gas? What kind of material is the upstairs tub made out of? Is there an area in the yard where we can fence in our dog? How deep is the sink in the kitchen? You know, the kind of questions a person wants answers to when they are serious and have already gotten the "basics" of the house (sq ft, bed/bath, upgrades, etc)

So anyway, it seemed like a possibility until about 3 weeks ago, when she sent word that their situation had changed, and they were not going to be able to move as soon as they thought, maybe not even this year or next, so she was heartbroken and very sorry, but it was over.

Now, keep in mind, they had never been to the house to see it...however, they are VERY familiar with the exterior and the neighborhood, as they use to live here right up the street and had always admired this house from a far. Plus, I sent her about 40 additional interior photos of things women require in a home, such as large closets, pantry space, etc... and men's things like the workshop, garage, etc.

Forward to yesterday. I get word that they will fly in next Friday to see the house and that they are sending relatives over this Sunday to our Open House to see it. (Another relative has already been here to "check it out" about a month ago).

Please, please, please cross your fingers for us. We are so due for some good news for a change

Old 08-10-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StJoeFanatic View Post
So anyway, it seemed like a possibility until about 3 weeks ago, when she sent word that their situation had changed, and they were not going to be able to move as soon as they thought, maybe not even this year or next, so she was heartbroken and very sorry, but it was over.
Forward to yesterday. I get word that they will fly in next Friday to see the house and that they are sending relatives over this Sunday to our Open House to see it. (Another relative has already been here to "check it out" about a month ago).
Please, please, please cross your fingers for us. We are so due for some good news for a change
You can count on it, sweetie. I am really pulling for you, that this will work out and they'll in fact be able to move there and buy it! I'm here at a pretty busy workplace right now, so I'll continue with this after work this evening. Please God, let this work out!.....

Last edited by northbayeric; 08-10-2007 at 05:04 PM..

Old 08-11-2007, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,196 times
Okay - so I'm a little late to the thread, but as a native of St. Joe I couldn't help but put in a comment or two.
I just got back from St. Joe a few days ago and am already missing it...to an extent. I love what they are trying to do with downtown (one of the first places you MUST go is Foster's. It is downtown on the corner of Felix and 8th (?) and is a great little martini bar (plus beer and wine). Also, Trails West! is a great annual festival that brings in some quality artists and musicians.
I'm sure that Fanatic will agree with me that St. Joe, like all communities, has its little quirks; some more irksome than others. But, on the whole, St. Joe is a great, affordable place to live.
Though you aren't moving for some time, best wishes when you get to St. Joe! I hope you enjoy it...

all the best,

-beth

Old 08-11-2007, 10:47 PM

Thanks Beth, and welcome to our little corner of these city-data forums! Yeah, it's been kind of interesting to read in the News Press (the St. Joe daily paper) how a number of people grump over the $5.00 cost of admission to Trails West! These people haven't been to California now, have they?! It's more than that just to go to Spring Lake Park here in Santa Rosa, and it's only a county park! (At least there are alternate ways of getting in to it so you don't have to pay the admission, such as parking on an adjacent street and walking up a hill to get over to the park)

I'll plan to at least poke my nose into Foster's while I'm there in just over a month. Maybe it has wines from both this region and from Hermann, MO, which would be great! Glad you had a fun time while you were there.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:27 PM

45 posts, read 84,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacurry2 View Post
(one of the first places you MUST go is Foster's. It is downtown on the corner of Felix and 8th (?) and is a great little martini bar (plus beer and wine).
Too funny! My hubby and went here while checking the town out when we were there a couple weeks ago. I had a 'flirtini' and it was so tasty! We will definitely be going back there.

And the Snake Bite Bar sounds really cool too!

I am a bit apprehensive about moving and you are exactly right -- it will be bittersweet leaving lovely Denver. But a new chapter begins in our lives and with it big changes!

Thanks for all your well-wishes everyone. And I will keep you guys in my prayers as well as moving and selling homes is no picnic. Especially in this market...I hope that this lead works out for you, StJoe!

Talk to ya'll soon!

Old 08-16-2007, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,733 times
Default Used to live there

Quote:
Thanks Beth, and welcome to our little corner of these city-data forums! Yeah, it's been kind of interesting to read in the News Press (the St. Joe daily paper) how a number of people grump over the $5.00 cost of admission to Trails West! These people haven't been to California now, have they?! It's more than that just to go to Spring Lake Park here in Santa Rosa, and it's only a county park! (At least there are alternate ways of getting in to it so you don't have to pay the admission, such as parking on an adjacent street and walking up a hill to get over to the park)
Hi! I just registered to this forum. Found it looking for my daughter's town in Iowa.

I lived in St. Joe from 1981 to 2002, moving from Redondo Beach, CA. I had relatives (my late mother's brother and two sisters) in Joetown at the time and, frankly, had gotten priced out of the part of California I was familiar with and wanted a change. Rode the Greyhound from L.A. to Joetown with 2 five-year-olds.

Anyway, I think I know what the gripe is about the admission fee to Trails West! At the time I left there was no admission fee! I don't know where it's being staged these days but then it was at City Hall Park, right across the street from where I lived in downtown, just a couple of blocks from the main library (what I liked best about downtown ).

I'm in Ocean County, NJ now. My other daughter married a Jersey boy several years ago and wanted me to move here to be close by.

BTW if you're into genealogy, the library has some great resources and there's the genealogical society: Northwest Missouri Genealogical Society (http://www.rootsweb.com/~monwmgs/ - broken link) ($15 a year membership).

Last edited by nellybly99; 08-16-2007 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: Misspelled word

Old 08-17-2007, 09:56 AM

13,739 posts, read 3,979,867 times
I'll chime in here although I'm not sure I'll be as much help as St.JoFanatic. I would agree with the poster saying that the town has the quirks. I grew up in Ballwin, Mo in the west St. Louis suburbs and it had its quirks too.

I live south of St. Joe and moved to the area for economic reasons. Property taxes aren't out of sight and that's a rarity these days. I got a really good deal on rural property that's not too far timewise to my job in Kansas City.

As far as entertainment though, St. Jo has a hard time competing with Kansas City. I do think there is potential for positive change, but not everyone around wants to embrace it. Hopefully sooner than later... and when that happens, the investments we're making or about to make (buying a home) will really pay off down the road. Now is a great time to buy in the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri