Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:28 PM

62 posts, read 249,125 times

Advertisements

I just heard thunder! Could this heat wave finally be breaking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 02:39 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmyers74 View Post
It sure would be nice to get some of that wet stuff!! I'm tired of draggin' a sprinkler all over the doggone "south forty"! I heard there is a good chance of rain all weekend...we shall see!

Old 08-17-2007, 02:46 PM

62 posts, read 249,125 times
Yes! I know what you mean, and I just ran out to roll my windows up, and I could even SMELL the rain! Woo-hoo!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:03 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,726 times
well we just got about five minutes worth...bummer I was hoping for more! Lotsa thunder 'n lightning off to the east.....

Old 08-17-2007, 10:13 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
Uhhhhh, rain? thunder? pray tell, what would that be????Huh? Thor, Zeus, Diana, and all just be playing with you. there is no such thing...does not exist, in your dreams. Rain? hahahahahahahahahahahaha Thunder? hee hee hee.

Oh sorry, just havin a dry spell here and it be affecting my thinking.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:22 AM

871 posts, read 1,984,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
It sure would be nice to get some of that wet stuff!! I'm tired of draggin' a sprinkler all over the doggone "south forty"! I heard there is a good chance of rain all weekend...we shall see!
Now tell me. Yes I am ignorant when it comes to Mo weather so tell me... If I were there I would be questioning tornado weather every time the clouds rolled in.. Can you tell before any warnings go off if a tornado might come to visit? Is it always in the back of your mind that maybe, just maybe you might see one today? Are there signs?
Is it hard to sleep some nights when the sky is lighting up?
OOh man! Spooky!

Old 08-18-2007, 02:11 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
Default weather and all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post
Now tell me. Yes I am ignorant when it comes to Mo weather so tell me... If I were there I would be questioning tornado weather every time the clouds rolled in.. Can you tell before any warnings go off if a tornado might come to visit? Is it always in the back of your mind that maybe, just maybe you might see one today? Are there signs?
Is it hard to sleep some nights when the sky is lighting up?
OOh man! Spooky!
No, no need to ever keep the threat of tornadoes on your mind. Actually, when the sky gets dark and you see lightening, just a sign of hopefully, on some days, just a sign that a good rainstorm is on it's way. Around here we have always been aware that when the skies turn a slightly greenish cast, might be a chance of strong winds maybe a tornado in the makings. But not always.

A few years ago, one of my sons and I were on our way home and as the clouds began forming into a long dark grey rolling mass, we looked at each other and wondered outloud, could this be a sign of some severe weather?

We watched this cloud activity for some time as suddenly out of the bottom of the clouds a few stalactite type of thin, swirling darker grey clouds dropped towards earth. And as suddenly they disappeared. Sometimes cloud activity can be very exciting to watch here.

There are warning sirens in most areas now. However, if you live in the boondocks as we do, you would have trouble hearing them. So, weather radios are in use during severe weather. And tuning into the weather channels and local tv channels in some cases.

Here at our lake, it really is 'fun' to watch the white caps on the water. Guess you have to be a little nuts, but I really do enjoy the change of seasons and the changes of weather conditions even within one day at times.

Once you are here, you'll realize that it isn't all that bad. Just have to be aware during certain seasons and be prepared. But it is not an everyday event. You will learn to love it here. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
Well, on second thought, might be in the mood to trade this extreme heat for a little something different. Hope some of this makes sense to you. I gotta go to bed. 'night

Old 08-18-2007, 04:28 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,437 times
NV has it just like I remember it when I grew up there. The biggest chance of severe weather is from April to June. As far as tornadoes go, you can be listening to the radio or TV with a mostly clear sky, and the National Weather Service will come out with a severe thunderstorm warning, tornado watch (favorable conditions) or a tornado warning (tornado actually sighted). Then sure enough, within 30 minutes you'll see the angry clouds start coming in and by noontime or 1 pm, it is coming down hard!

Not really to worry about getting caught off guard--the National Weather Service really keeps on top of it. Between them and any tornado sirens, you've got time to prepare for any heavy weather bearing down on you back there. Even in dry southern California, you can get some pretty mean flash flood warnings that can affect you even more quickly than weather warnings back in MO.

It is so dry and brown around here this time of year--not really that hot thankfully, but generally it literally doesn't rain at all from mid-June (and even earlier sometimes) until mid-September. The hills around here are just covered in brown grass with a few oak trees dotting them, for the most part. This far north in California, you do have a pretty spring season, but it just never gets quite as green here as it does back there.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:40 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,494,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmyers74 View Post
I am ready

Old 08-20-2007, 10:31 AM

430 posts, read 1,263,692 times
Sure hope they got some down by the lake....our neighbors tell us our grass is drying up, not much we can do about it 1,400 miles away now is there!! We'll water this weekend when we get there, hopefully that'll help some if there wasn't any rain!!

O.Nana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri