Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
kshe - you have been around for awhile on this forum and surely have learned there are those out of stater's who immediately get buggy eyed when someone who actually lives here has the gall to give reasons why they love their state. This is beyond their realm of reasoning, as they, naturally, consider themselves well schooled and far more knowledgeable about the conditions we Missourian's live in. They will spend the rest of their life trying to prove Missouri is not Midwestern, or that Missouri is not a 'normal' state, but in the end, they just waste their energy, and our time. Maybe they lived or worked in the state years ago, or drove thru on vacation or work a few times, and thus, now feel qualified to be an expert on our state. Knowing its sunny and 70 outside 'today' doesn't tell you what's it really like outside until you open the door and step into the sunlight. A person can spend their entire life in a paralysis of analysis and fully convince themselves there is no perfect place to live. Or they can open the door and take that first step outside and discover life for themselves.

Those who love Missouri will continue to live here, and those who do not, are free to find another place to call home. Those who want to come to Missouri and assimilate will find the locals welcome, and those who show up thinking they know better, will find out Missourian's can be unwelcome as well. There are those, like yourself and Cali, who visit this forum longing for the day your circumstance allows you to return to Missouri. And then there are those who break out in hives at the thought someone might actually want to exercise that freedom.

I only wish more people would approach life with a 'glass half full' attitude like Crum, instead of this 'who pee'd in my punch bowl' bitterness! But then again, where does the glass half full guy live and where does the other party live?
Dave, you are right, of course.
You know what?
I will be in my beloved Missouri tomorrow at noon.
That loud bang everyone hears will be happiness bursting from my soul!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 07:19 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Dave, you are right, of course.
You know what?
I will be in my beloved Missouri tomorrow at noon.
That loud bang everyone hears will be happiness bursting from my soul!
Welcome back home!

Old 11-10-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Welcome back home!
Thank you!
I'll be soooooooo happy to be home!

Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Missouri ranked 9th of the worst 10

Reason for low rank: Except for a low cost of living, Missouri doesn't stand out in any category, but a relatively high crime rate and a relatively low life expectancy make it a somewhat unwelcoming environment for retirees.
Great news. Now let's spread it, especially in California, the Northwest, New England and up around Chicago.--OB

Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The quickfacts census website will give one a good idea regarding educational attainment levels as well. In fact, the data will be updated by early next year. Employment change and median household income levels are also keys I look at whenever I am considering relocating to a NEW area. I might not want to wait decade(s) for an area to get better. Some people might not have a problem with that, though...
Why would people who are retired care about the schools and the unemployment rate?

Most retired people downsize their home and lower their overhead.

I agree for younger people with families you brought up some valid issues.

I mean look at Florida, ranks 47th in education. But you have a state overrun with retired transplants who want low taxes and don't care about the schools.

Of course their payback is the lack of good medical care.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Why would people who are retired care about the schools and the unemployment rate?

I mean look at Florida, ranks 47th in education. But you have a state overrun with retired transplants who want low taxes and don't care about the schools.

I was going to bring that up myself, but I am too happy to argue about it, but youre right, Fl schools are abysmal.
Glad I am outta here for a while starting today!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:17 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Of course retirees want lower costs. Who doesn't. However, some people prefer to have more amenities and services than others. They likely won't move to the "absolute lowest cost of living area," if they are looking for those things. However, some people are very self-sufficient and prefer living in a very rural isolated areas far from good medical care. That is their perrogative.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:19 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I was going to bring that up myself, but I am too happy to argue about it, but youre right, Fl schools are abysmal.
Glad I am outta here for a while starting today!
Even if I was a retiree I would CARE about the level of performance, achievement levels, and funding of the school district(s) if I was choosing a new location. You still have to associate with people who live in the town one lives in. Retirees also have a bit more free time to volunteer or help out the schools which is to be commended.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Even if I was a retiree I would CARE about the level of performance, achievement levels, and funding of the school district(s) if I was choosing a new location. You still have to associate with people who live in the town one lives in. Retirees also have a bit more free time to volunteer or help out the schools which is to be commended.
Correct, and that was a factor in our decision regarding where we settled. We wanted to be in a somewhat more "cosmopolitan" area than others with more people from varied backgrounds and experiences. We found that in SW MO -- less insular but at the same time, no less Missourian/Ozarker. The best of both worlds. It's a momnentous decision and requires a lot of hard work, investigation, discovery and analysis to get it right!

Besides, OB challenged us!

Old 11-11-2010, 03:15 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
25 Best Places to Retire - Lake St. Louis, Mo. (15) - Money Magazine (2009)

and just so LSL does not come across as a community full of old f@rts, italso got this one: Best Places to Live 2009 - Top 100: City details: Lake St. Louis, MO - from MONEY Magazine

made living in Missouri Tolerable
Lake St Louis is a planned community--a little bit of FL right in old MO. Makes sense why Money mag would like it. Those who prefer a less-Disneyified environment would probably be happier elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri