U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,453 posts, read 15,782,710 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
No, he was born in Prussia in 1822, emigrated to the US, then settled in Perryville where he died in 1913.
Lotta Prussians in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 03-23-2011, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Missouri Ozarks
1,655 posts, read 1,053,115 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Lotta Prussians in that area.
Indeed there are. I thought you meant a bit of a smaller scope when you said SE Missouri ScoPro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-23-2011, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Missouri Ozarks
1,655 posts, read 1,053,115 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Lotta Prussians in that area.
kshe maybe you would know this better than I do, did the German Lutherans and German Catholics come from different parts of Germany or what? I ask because almost every person with German heritage I live near is Lutheran not Catholic, but most Germans in SE Missouri are Catholic. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-23-2011, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,453 posts, read 15,782,710 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
kshe maybe you would know this better than I do, did the German Lutherans and German Catholics come from different parts of Germany or what? I ask because almost every person with German heritage I live near is Lutheran not Catholic, but most Germans in SE Missouri are Catholic. What gives?
A question near and dear to my heart, lol!
My dads side of the family is Prussian, and Catholic, my moms side French(Catholic) and German(Lutheran)
Heres the deal......in my own neck of the woods, the immigration from Germany was primarily from the Baden area....look at the place names, Zell, Weingarten, New Offenberg, to name a few.....
Lots of Catholics in the Baden area back then, now, I dont know.....
The Catholics settled where there were already French settlements with established churches, the Lutheran wave came a generation later, from all over Germany, they first settled where there were already Germans, and then spread rapidly throughout the state.
I've noticed in looking at genealogy charts that not only did Catholic marry Catholic in my area, they also married within their own country of origin.
Prussians tended to settle up towards STL and the Little Rhine area.
Fascinating, but I'm kinda geeky that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-23-2011, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Missouri Ozarks
1,655 posts, read 1,053,115 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
A question near and dear to my heart, lol!
My dads side of the family is Prussian, and Catholic, my moms side French(Catholic) and German(Lutheran)
Heres the deal......in my own neck of the woods, the immigration from Germany was primarily from the Baden area....look at the place names, Zell, Weingarten, New Offenberg, to name a few.....
Lots of Catholics in the Baden area back then, now, I dont know.....
The Catholics settled where there were already French settlements with established churches, the Lutheran wave came a generation later, from all over Germany, they first settled where there were already Germans, and then spread rapidly throughout the state.
I've noticed in looking at genealogy charts that not only did Catholic marry Catholic in my area, they also married within their own country of origin.
Prussians tended to settle up towards STL and the Little Rhine area.
Fascinating, but I'm kinda geeky that way.
Thanks for that. My only German ancestor's surname was Kraust. I'm wanting to say they came from Southern Germany. (Munich)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-23-2011, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,453 posts, read 15,782,710 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Thanks for that. My only German ancestor's surname was Kraust. I'm wanting to say they came from Southern Germany. (Munich)
Not a problem, my Dad used to say I was a storehouse of useless information, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-31-2012, 08:54 AM
 
4 posts, read 3,735 times
Reputation: 17
benn all over the south...southern missouri has NOTHING in common with the north and next to nothing in common with the midwest. it's 100% southern and in the south we're proud to include southern missouri as part of dixie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-31-2012, 08:55 AM
 
4 posts, read 3,735 times
Reputation: 17
*been*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-03-2012, 10:35 PM
 
6 posts, read 96 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbythegraceofgod View Post
benn all over the south...southern missouri has NOTHING in common with the north and next to nothing in common with the midwest. it's 100% southern and in the south we're proud to include southern missouri as part of dixie!
Depends on what you consider southern MO. Stl, Ste Gen, and Perry Counties are not southern.

As for the state of MO though yes northern Missouri differs greatly from many parts of southern Missouri. there is more of a dixie element in about 25 percent of the state of Missouri which I mean the southern part, and the rest is a transition zone, and or mix of both midwest and southern like southern Indiana, and southern IL or far northern KY. Of course there will be big differences from lets say Kirksville compared to lets say Wayne or Ripley counties in far southern MO.

Northern MO is is the midwest region, and parts of the southern half of MO are located in the south. Both geographically and culturally.

If you took a farmer from Delta, Missouri and compared them to a farmer in Kahoka, MO they will have very little in common culturally or crops they grow. One would be a solid Midwesterner, and the other would likely consider themselves a southerner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Edgemere, Maryland
502 posts, read 494,874 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Missouri was a slave state that had twice as many slaves as Maryland also.
I don't know where you got your information, but this was NOT the case.

It NEVER had double and, in fact, at one point Maryland held ten (10) times as many slaves as Missouri.

Total Slave Population in United States, by State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top