U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:33 PM

3,294 posts, read 4,623,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Two reasons... firstly, the rapid industrialization of Baltimore from the 1920's through WWII. Secondly, all the government employees around DC. Maryland has been voting lock stock and barrel with the northeast for around 70 years now.

Actually, minus the government employees/transplants, Maryland is pretty similar to Missouri except that Baltimore holds far more influence over its state than St Louis does. Of course, that's a big difference I guess.
Missouri also has the majority of Kansas City's metro population as an influence.
Also, the fast-growing Ozarks region, which seemingly covers half the state, has a pretty big say in Missouri's culture and politics.

Last edited by northbound74; 01-11-2011 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 01:44 PM

543 posts, read 376,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Two reasons... firstly, the rapid industrialization of Baltimore from the 1920's through WWII. Secondly, all the government employees around DC. Maryland has been voting lock stock and barrel with the northeast for around 70 years now.

Actually, minus the government employees/transplants, Maryland is pretty similar to Missouri except that Baltimore holds far more influence over its state than St Louis does. Of course, that's a big difference I guess.
Sorta like how the corrupt Chicago area politics control the entire state of IL. Most people in central and southern IL hate chicago.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:10 PM

12,062 posts, read 17,862,514 times
And yet if I said most Chicagoans hate southern IL (which has about as little truth to it as your ridiculous and uninformed proclamation) you'd call them elitist. What hypocritical nonsense you spew.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:18 PM

5 posts, read 6,359 times
missouri is midwest no matter what part of the state you live in.I think people are confused with the difference of being country and being southern. Missouri is just like any other state we have people from the city and people in the country. The views of people from rural north missouri are just like people from southern missouri there are tons of people in north missouri that have accents like southerners just like people in southern missouri.W

Old 01-11-2011, 02:29 PM

3,294 posts, read 4,623,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyboy4life View Post
missouri is midwest no matter what part of the state you live in.I think people are confused with the difference of being country and being southern. Missouri is just like any other state we have people from the city and people in the country. The views of people from rural north missouri are just like people from southern missouri there are tons of people in north missouri that have accents like southerners just like people in southern missouri.W
I'm from Arkansas, and have also lived in Tennessee, Alabama, and Texas. Southern Missouri, at least parts of it, are not much different than those places, if at all. There is a difference in rural north MO and rural south MO. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it's there.
I will say that accents can be tricky to pinpoint. I've heard southern in the north and northern/midwestern in the south part of the state.
It's weird. Take two people from the Kansas City area, both having lived there their whole lives and whose families go back at least 2-3 generations in the area. One can sound somewhat similar to the upper midwest, and the other will have a twang like Arkansas.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Have you been to a lot if places in this state? go down south to Sikeston, New Madrid, or somewhere in the bootheel. It is totally different than the Iowa border.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:56 PM

145 posts, read 204,542 times
Quote:
That's not true, and what makes Missouri somewhat unique. There is certainly a Missouri country folk accent, as well as people jumping headfirst into a redneck identity obnoxiously exaggerating this twang, especially in a context of differentiating themselves as "country folk" around the periphery of larger areas, like east or south of KC -- this is different than the far southeast MO accent which sounds much more related to eastern TN and is unrelated to either the normal mild Missouri twang or the exaggerated "redneck twang." It's fundamentally southern.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:04 PM

327 posts, read 358,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAndBeer View Post
That's not true, and what makes Missouri somewhat unique. There is certainly a Missouri country folk accent, as well as people jumping headfirst into a redneck identity obnoxiously exaggerating this twang, especially in a context of differentiating themselves as "country folk" around the periphery of larger areas, like east or south of KC -- this is different than the far southeast MO accent which sounds much more related to eastern TN and is unrelated to either the normal mild Missouri twang or the exaggerated "redneck twang." It's fundamentally southern.
Yes I disagree as well. The people that I know from around Hannibal and Kirksville sound like a lot of the people here in STL. Not the people from south city who say 'far' when pronouncing the number 4 but the rest of us.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 PM

MO was admitted as the 12th Confederate state, but lets say that general Lyons wasn't able to run the elected officals off and the constitutional convetion voted to seceede or the law makers did and got control of most of the state what wouuld Missouri be like today? I'm not talking about just the Ozarks, and bootheel but across the state and places like St. Louis would it have more southern flavor to it? Would you see more battle flags and monuments around the state if things would have been differently for Missouri?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:53 AM

616 posts, read 554,059 times
Shadow - might I suggest this thread either be closed or the subject matter be referred to the Politics and Other Controversies thread - where other discussions about the 1860's Confederacy are located. Any potential historical content of this discussion has long since been lost.

The would-of, could-of, should-of nature of this party's statements are based on speculation and a version of history held by very few Civil War historians. Having brought this topic up numerous times since joining the forum a month ago, it has been discussed or ignored on numerous occasions, and a continuation can only be meant to irritate, inflame and divide the readers by bringing up a topic a very small group of readers might be interested in pursuing, sharing a similar motive as the individual who can not seem to let the topic go.

I do believe the forum has a strict policy about bumping ones own forum entries to the top.

General Lyons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri