U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 03:26 PM

871 posts, read 1,336,143 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were looking to move to Farmington Missouri. Searching the web we found a site that called Mo the hate state. Numourous crimes against other races, bodies in the Ozarks and law enforcement didnt seem to be very helpful. My husband is Itallian and looks spanish. I would not want to move my family to a place were we would be outcasts. Also what about tornados and floods in Farmington? Im from southern Calif born and raised and we have our fair share of hate and disasters. I want to go some where I feel safe. please help.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Status: "Friends come and go. enemies accumalate" (set 25 days ago)

7,219 posts, read 5,112,788 times
NO! MO IS NOT THE HATE STATE. I hate it when people say that stuff. lol

Old 07-16-2007, 05:48 PM

3,745 posts, read 3,442,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post
My husband and I were looking to move to Farmington Missouri. Searching the web we found a site that called Mo the hate state. Numourous crimes against other races, bodies in the Ozarks and law enforcement didnt seem to be very helpful. My husband is Itallian and looks spanish. I would not want to move my family to a place were we would be outcasts. Also what about tornados and floods in Farmington? Im from southern Calif born and raised and we have our fair share of hate and disasters. I want to go some where I feel safe. please help.
The hate state...LOL, that is the biggest joke I've ever heard. If Missouri is a hate state, then the whole country is.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:16 PM

34 posts, read 62,751 times
Default Always an outsider in this co.

That would be Bollinger co, southeast of Farmington. I'm not accepted here because I'm from the deep, deep south. Very clannish here, if your parents and gparents weren't born and raised here you are SOL. Been here 9 years, we'll be moving way south before too long. There are a few here who don't prejudge me because I'm from the south, complete with a real southern drawl. They are the only people I have anything to do with. If someone is civil to me I'm friendly to them too. But as far as trying to lose my accent or buying friendship, it 's not gonna happen, I don't need or want them.

In short, you will meet some people who have intelligence and won't prejudge you. It would be this way in most parts of the country. There will always be the good ole boys and girls no matter where you are.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:46 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,499,997 times
Smile Not a Hate State...

My experience of Missouri has been quite the opposite.
Moved here from Sacramento...13 years ago.
I have made many wonderful friends here, and haven't seen anything more hateful that some of the nonsense back in CA.
Remember, everyone has their opinion. And you can find all kinds of crazy stuff on the internet!

Old 07-17-2007, 12:57 AM

4,679 posts, read 7,872,818 times
southerngurl - what you state there in the first part of your post, that is not good, sorry to hear such. However, in my travels and in meeting the peoples that I have had occasion to run into, from coast to coast, north to south, I've seen and heard about the same thing in every state - that unless you are born in that particular area, and come from a family that has lived in that area for a few generations if not more, then you are an outsider. Heck, when I lived south of Rolla for dozen years in the area where my woman's families on both sides had settled back when MO wasn't even a state, I was an "outsider". Didn't bother me none - went about my business, met some great people, explored the area, and so on. In any case, your last sentence is very true "There will always be the good ole boys and girls no matter where you are". LOL, speaking of such, talked a waitress the other day in southern IN small town [couple hundred people, no traffic light ], and altho' she has been there for over 20 years, and married a fella that had generations of blood in the area, she too still to this day felt like an outsider. Yet, didn't stop her from being a part of the community and enjoying that which is around her.

To the OP's post to MO being a 'hate state' - all I can speak to there is that, as said above, you will, unfortunately, find that disgusting crap in various forms and amounts in every part of this country. In going thru this website's article, I found MO mentioned a couple times Cause for Concern 2004 : The State of Hate . However, I do not believe that Missouri is necessarily THE 'hate state'. Yes, there is some people who are prejudiced - in every part of the world - and those that hate that which they fear.

My advice, FWIW, feel free to visit MO, and get a good first hand look, meet some of the local peoples yourself, and see how the area 'feels' to yas. I believe that you can feel safe in Farmington - with the knowledge, that yes, while it is a smaller town area, you are only a bit over an hour from StL and all its attractions, along w/ realizing that Farmington itself is in a chain of ~4 other smallish towns [Bonne Terre, Park Hills, and Deslodge]. To get a good idea, maybe check out the local paper [ Daily Journal Online - Park Hills, MO ] and then also contact the local sheriff and/or city police departments. I've done that myself when house hunting, to get a feel for what areas are potential crime/theft areas.

As to floods - depending upon where the property sits; of course, low lying areas are prone to flash floods - that goes anywhere. A bare rock stream bed can turn into a gully washer relatively quickly - best to talk w/ local real estate agents, and also look at topo map to get feel for how the land lays in the areas of interest. TopoZone - The Web's Topographic Map, and more! is one on-line place to look at such.

Best of luck.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:40 AM

25,441 posts, read 8,977,304 times
i don't believe that you can classify Missouri as the 'Hate State'. When you get away from the metropolitan areas you will however, find that if your birth certificate isn't laying on the county's court house steps, you will be considered an 'outsider'.
At one time I was the librarian for a small German heritage town along the Missouri River for a few years. One of the locals wrote to the headquarters of the library and complained that they had hired an 'interloper'.

There also was ridiculous competition between that town and the town that serves my area with postal service. When, on the first day of my new employment, a patron inquired about where I lived, I unfortunately gave the name of the postal service town. That morning, when the same question was asked and answered a few times and I noticed no one would continue a conversation, I remembered this silly feud. So when the 5th or 6th person asked about my home, I replied with the name of a very small junction about 2 miles from my home. Why, you would have thought that all of a sudden it was old home week. From then on, patrons would sit in the chair in front of my desk and 'pass the time of day'. Go figure.

A lovely older woman that gave art lessons in her home had lived in this town for 20 years and she remarked to me during one of our classes that she was still considered an outsider. So, maybe our little towns can have this reputation, however, I have not found this to be true of larger cities.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:15 AM

355 posts, read 33,907 times
Northwoods, would you happen to be talking about Herman?

Old 07-18-2007, 01:31 PM

871 posts, read 1,336,143 times
Thanks for all the feedback! I can definitly handle a few cold shoulders I just didnt want any unfair treatment by authorities or told I cant work here or there. I have two small children to think about.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:22 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,555,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post
allow me to share something from a forum member that made one outstanding post regarding a question such as yours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
IMO, based solely on my extensive one month in the area, you'll receive what you sow. What do I mean? It appears to me that generally people here are friendly and accommodating of others, no matter what their heritage/race. However, if someone acts in a fashion that is inappropriate for the community, the accommodation or friendliness may not be made apparent. In other words, I truly believe that what someone will feel is based mostly on their behavior and not on their racial background.

I think the old rule I was taught as a child, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" are the words that would apply to such a situation. Let's take a generalization that I have recently seen . . . a loud New Yorker in a restaurant, speaking over everyone in the place so that everyone was able to hear about their confidential situation. How do you think they were treated? They certainly got "the glare" from everyone, including me. However, they were still served. The difference was that the waitress did not engage in friendly banter with them and make them feel at home. They were effectively treated very differently.

I don't blame the waitress at all. I place all fault with the person who was acting in a form and fashion acceptable in their home region but unacceptable here. Still, the person appeared to be so dense that they didn't even notice that they were being treated differently. I guess that's the best for them under the circumstances.

I've also seen a variety of people, admittedly mostly caucasian families but interspersed enough with some form of other races or mixed families, going into restaurants, seeing venues, and shopping alongside of me at the local market. At no time did I see them treated any differently than me. In all cases they were as polite and accommodating of others as those with whom they were interacting.

So, that's my take on things.

BTW, if you're worried about kids, I'm sure they will have all the problems that any kids have in any school. Some may disagree with me, which won't be the first time , but I believe that it's the nature of children to pick on any differences. It's not limited to race. It has to do with any difference like, fat, thin, ugly, freckled, red hair, handicapped, etc. Some of those things are qualities that can't be changed.

It's part of the learning process to discover that such behavior is inappropriate. Where the failure comes in is when the parents don't teach "Johnny" that picking on "Jimmy" because of (fill in the blank) is inappropriate . . . no matter from what heritage Jimmy and Jonny hail.

After all of that preaching from me , I'm sure you'll find an idiot here and there around Springfield. I found an idiot here and there in, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Minneapolis, New York, and a variety of other places. In other words, they're everywhere. It's the nature of mankind.

BTW, I'm not saying that people who believe that your relationship is inappropriate are idiots or that such people are limited to caucasians. They can come from a variety of heritages and are entitled to their beliefs. The idiots are the ones that act on their beliefs in such a way as to treat you inhumanely, without respect for you as a human. Nobody deserves that treatment.

Wow, I think I broke my soapbox . . . . I need to go find another one so I'm ready for another thread.
if this is the hate me state then something has gone terribly wrong because the skeeters here definitely love me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri