U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2011, 06:10 PM

25 posts, read 39,239 times
Smile Liberal West Coast Born Portlander - Move to the Ozarks ???

Hello everyone,

So due several factors, I am considering moving to the Ozarks... I would love anyone's input that has relocated to MO or lives there now. Feel free to answer any/all of my questions. Thanks

Heres my deal:

1. Cost of Living: Seems VERY affordable. Houses/land here in Oregon has become so expensive as I grew, I am outpriced now as an adult. As I will be getting a early childhood education B.A., and then a Master/Doctorate eventually in teaching, so I need to find somewhere that has room for teachers.

2. Education: As I am pursuing my Master or Early Childhood, I think I would like to look at MO State University, seems well liked! What do you make of your schools?

3. Culture: I am about as liberal and loving as they come. I accept a wide range of diversity, but I do NOT like discrimination. If I see it or hear it, I WILL say something. I do not like sterotyping, but us West Coasters have a narrow view of the south as...well... not friendly to people who are not white or hetero sexual... is this the wrong idea to have? Are there pockets of places where open minded people cluster

4. Land: It looks beautiful... not as hilly as Oregon, but kind of swampy and foresty looking on Wikipedia. I like nature, water, and being outside so I hope to be somewhere that is pretty.

I do not want to rush into a place where I am seen as a CRAZY transplant who is rejected for my values, and always hitting my head against a wall...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 06:27 PM

18,959 posts, read 15,734,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsterg3 View Post
I do not want to rush into a place where I am seen as a CRAZY transplant who is rejected for my values, and always hitting my head against a wall...
Whew! Glad you said it. You will be. If I was you I'd look elsewhere. Kansas City, Columbia and St. Louis might be welcoming but I doubt you'll get huggy-kissee, Kumbaya, drum circle, sitting on your zabuton in the lotus position snuggles here in the Aux Arcs.

Have you considered Santa Cruz?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:37 PM

25 posts, read 39,239 times
Whew! Glad you said it. You will be. If I was you I'd look elsewhere. Kansas City, Columbia and St. Louis might be welcoming but I doubt you'll get huggy-kissee, Kumbaya, drum circle, sitting on your zabuton in the lotus position snuggles here in the Aux Arcs.

Hmm... what is a zabuton? I do not need to huggy-kissee but I was hoping for an open perspective to "new" kinds of people...

Would it maybe be good for people to see a new perspective? Maybe even eye opening? It sounds like there are some stero-types from West Coast people too!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:20 PM

622 posts, read 596,706 times
Kelsterg - I always find it amazing when someone pops into the Missouri forum and right after saying hello, they start 'telling us what they won't tolerate' should they decide to bless us with their presence, and then act all offended when the Missourian's who monitor this forum, are somewhat less than inviting.

But hey, you are the college educated, liberal who wants to protect oriental homosexuals as long as they don't live in swampy forest and already has all Southener's stereo-typed ....

so what do I know!

Please come save our oriental homosexual's (I didn't even realize we had that many), and save us from western simpleton's like Crum, who moved here from California and just tried to assimilate.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:27 PM

18,959 posts, read 15,734,561 times
Quote:

Hmm... what is a zabuton? I do not need to huggy-kissee but I was hoping for an open perspective to "new" kinds of people...

Would it maybe be good for people to see a new perspective? Maybe even eye opening? It sounds like there are some stero-types from West Coast people too!
A zabutom is a Japanese sitting cushion that men sit on and women kneel on, if they're traditional.

Y'all ain't new. Yur stereotypical. Don't talk down to us. Our eyes are wide open and the Ozarks have done just fine for hundreds of years without being patronized. We're not a buncha ignorant hillbillys.

For the record. I'm a native Californian. If you want the Ozarks, look at Eureka Springs, AR. It might be a good fit.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,511,122 times
Quote:
1. Cost of Living: Seems VERY affordable. Houses/land here in Oregon has become so expensive as I grew, I am outpriced now as an adult. As I will be getting a early childhood education B.A., and then a Master/Doctorate eventually in teaching, so I need to find somewhere that has room for teachers.

2. Education: As I am pursuing my Master or Early Childhood, I think I would like to look at MO State University, seems well liked! What do you make of your schools?

3. Culture: I am about as liberal and loving as they come. I accept a wide range of diversity, but I do NOT like discrimination. If I see it or hear it, I WILL say something. I do not like sterotyping, but us West Coasters have a narrow view of the south as...well... not friendly to people who are not white or hetero sexual... is this the wrong idea to have? Are there pockets of places where open minded people cluster

4. Land: It looks beautiful... not as hilly as Oregon, but kind of swampy and foresty looking on Wikipedia. I like nature, water, and being outside so I hope to be somewhere that is pretty.

You sound like a crazy transplant. I can tell already that I don't like your values. Be aware that if you decide to move to rural southern Missouri and start "saying something," many of us will push back. We are not awed by you. We're not impressed by you.

By the way, you and others like you should understand that Missouri is not here as your affordable alternative. There's a reason why Oregon has become so expensive. We don't want the same thing to happen here.

I'm begging you. Have mercy on us poor simple hill folk. Don't come here.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:50 PM

9,579 posts, read 4,690,375 times
Kelster

Um Wow, You know how unwelcoming you Oregonians are to Californians, You ain't seen nothing yet, until you go spouting liberal verbage and the joy of "Diversity" in the Ozarks....
Don't go...visit first....you won't like it.....

Old 01-14-2011, 09:39 PM

543 posts, read 404,725 times
Yea things are different in Missouri, the 12th Confederate state they are a lot more conservative in southern MO than in Oregon.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:57 PM

4,286 posts, read 6,295,994 times
I think you will find the definition of Liberal changes somewhat, when one leaves the West Coast especially Portland and San Francisco. You may find Portland liberalism is somewhat foreign to the liberal person in the Midwest, as well as much of the East Coast.

I agree with the other poster that recommend Eureka Springs. I would visit that area and see what you think. Anything is possible but Portland is so different than most of this country. I would think it would be a huge adjustment for you living in Missouri. I know for me I have been in PDX for 5 years, and I have never gotten use to it and Im from Massachusetts. I will be leaving by the end of the year. Personally I would have had an easier time getting use to Missouri than Oregon. That is what I mean about the liberalism here is not the same as elsewhere. So you can imagine what a conservative area could be like for a native Portlander use to the politics here.

Make some trips and really look things over and make sure its what you really want to do. Its very expensive to move and get settled in so you want to be sure. So make some visits to Missouri.

Best of Luck.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:25 PM

1,817 posts, read 3,670,122 times
O/P,
Have you looked into Springfield, Or. as a possibility to live in? The weather there is nice and I know not too long ago a person could have a decent starter house for around 125 to 150. Not sure what your budget is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri