Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:52 AM

354 posts, read 325,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
We live in Gasconade County which is a little in the center of the state. North and east of Rolla. A few hours from Branson area, which I dearly love. Have tried to get DH to move to Springfield for years and years.. But his family is from this area and so here we stay

You know, 'whether tho goest'

I wish you well and hope that you can get things going as you desire. But isn't this anticipation just great in many ways?

You must be soooo excited. Good luck to yas
Soooooo, are you in Ownsville or where? I know the area quite well and have friends who live in Owensville and some who live in Gerald, which is really Franklin County How long have you live in Gasconade County anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 10:42 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,655,212 times
Red face Ohhh, now I'm gettin' hungry...and strangely, sad!

I wish I had something original to add here. We moved here from CA and both of us miss the In 'n Out and Trader Joe's, too! I've never had a White Castle...well, I remember being at one with my whole family when I was a little kid. I asked my mother when and where we were but she doesn't remember. I remember that they were 10 for $1 in those days. At least, I think I remember that! It was a loooong time ago! As an adult, though, I've never had one. Does anyone know if the frozen version tastes anything like the restaurant version?

I've been thinking about it some more and I miss the salad bars at Sizzler! And my husband misses Jack in the Box, too! I miss Mimi's Cafe and their Spinach and Artichoke Dip and their Turkey Walnut Salad on Raisin Bread. Oh! And Polly's Pies in Whittier has an amazing Chicken Salad Sandwich and great pies, too! I miss our favorite Chinese food in Covina at Lotus Garden or up in Blue Jay at Mandarin Garden! Among other things, they made a 3-meat sizzling soup that was out of this world!

I have several new favorite things that I will miss if I ever move away from here. Can I share those?

Gnite for now!

Old 07-23-2007, 11:22 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,570 times
Beall's , Publix , and Whole Foods .... Oh, MrsG, there's a Western Sizzler on Kearny off of Glenstone in Spfld, don't know if that's the same as sizzler.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:30 AM

354 posts, read 325,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
I have several new favorite things that I will miss if I ever move away from here. Can I share those?
Sure, why not? Seems like it could be fun.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:00 AM

Thumbs up Spring Creek Tea Room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
Beall's , Publix , and Whole Foods .... Oh, MrsG, there's a Western Sizzler on Kearny off of Glenstone in Spfld, don't know if that's the same as sizzler.
Cool! Thanks, Sunshine! I'll check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHIllbillyWoman View Post
Sure, why not? Seems like it could be fun.
Okay, here goes...

If you haven't been to the Spring Creek Tea Room in Ozark, you're missing out. It is an interesting place with booths filled with antiques...but I digress! They make an amazing Chicken Salad Sandwich with grapes in it and it's on their fabulous marbled bread. Their salads are also delicious with strawberries and different sorts of greens. They serve some wonderful, unique soups and if you want a piece of one of their cakes, you'd better order it when you order your meal so they can set it aside for you. You see, lunch is only served from 11am till 2pm on Tuesdays through Saturdays and they sell out of stuff, especially their cakes, almost every day. If you are ever fortunate enough to be there on a day when they're serving their Lemon Crunch Cake...BUY IT! You will NOT be sorry!

While you're waiting to be called to your table, you can browse the antique booths. I rarely go home without some little thing since there are some great items and prices!

Here's a great little website I found while trying to give you more information on them: Spring Creek Tea Room Review on TeaMap.com
There are several reviews there...no, none of them are mine...that will help corroborate mine.

For some reason, these are the only favorite things I can think of this morning! Hahaha! And I'm suddenly famished! I'd better go eat some breakfast! When I think of another, I'll post again. I wish I had taken notes last night when I posted the other one but it was so late. Oh, well!

I sure hope some of you are able to go there and let me know what you think. It's very casual and a great place to go with friends...and out-of-town visitors!

Old 07-24-2007, 10:36 AM

72 posts, read 280,165 times
Quote:
I wish I had something original to add here. We moved here from CA and both of us miss the In 'n Out and Trader Joe's, too! I've never had a White Castle...well, I remember being at one with my whole family when I was a little kid. I asked my mother when and where we were but she doesn't remember. I remember that they were 10 for $1 in those days. At least, I think I remember that! It was a loooong time ago! As an adult, though, I've never had one. Does anyone know if the frozen version tastes anything like the restaurant version?

I've been thinking about it some more and I miss the salad bars at Sizzler! And my husband misses Jack in the Box, too! I miss Mimi's Cafe and their Spinach and Artichoke Dip and their Turkey Walnut Salad on Raisin Bread. Oh! And Polly's Pies in Whittier has an amazing Chicken Salad Sandwich and great pies, too! I miss our favorite Chinese food in Covina at Lotus Garden or up in Blue Jay at Mandarin Garden! Among other things, they made a 3-meat sizzling soup that was out of this world!

Gnite for now!

Wow Polly's Pies in Whittier, I live in La Habra until next week then I will be an Ozark resident. Polly's is not far from me now. Where were you from in California?

Old 07-24-2007, 11:19 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Cool Foods & drinks that Hobbes misses from Missouri

Oh,,, ok, since I just got done eating lunch, will fess up as to what vittles from back home I miss...

In no particular order:

Alex's Pizza in Rolla, MO - this became a tradition w/ a group of us that after coming back from a cave trip and after our Wed night meetings, we'd be there. Very rarely does a trip 'back home' not include a stop to pick up a couple extra pizzas from them to take back to the house. Will eat one there at Alex's, and then freeze the others for emergency use during the next weeks/months before back again. And,,, I am not so good at sharing - kinda protective, like a tiger over its meal... Anyhow, Alex's Pizza Palace is the one and only pizza like it that have ever found in my travels. Addictive it is...

Lion's Choice - local chain, mainly in the StL area, serves by far the bestest sliced roast beef sandwiches. Makes Arby and others seem like cardboard.

Ted Drews - need I say more?

Moreland’s just off of US63 near Vienna - oh my,,, my folks got me hooked on that place, taking me there as a whipper snapper; now, I try to snap up some of that channel cat as often as possible.

Sweetwater Bar-B-Que just on the east side of St Robert, MO - very good.

Loved eating cheeseburgers in a bar in Hermann, MO,,, durn,,, forget its name... right on the west side of 19... hmmmm... starts with an "S" Anyhow, another place my folks learnt me about... Not much to look at [well, the hornet nests in the ceiling, them are ], but damn good cow patties.

To wash all those meals down, wine from either Peaceful Bend or Ferrigno Winery were some of the best sweet and semi-sweets IMHO.
Or, some microbrew from Flat Branch Pub, in Columbia. Flat Branch Pub & Brewing - Columbia, MO

For desert , got hooked on pies from the Blue Owl in Kimmswick, when used to live in that part of the state. Tasty!
And also [almost forgot!] Gooey Butter Cake

My mom's cooking. Nothing ever compares or supplants that which she serves.

My MIL's cooking. Uhem,,, well,,, ummmm... well,,, she does make the best fried chicken, mashed tators, and fresh green beans.

Drats,, now I be getting hungry again,,, well, guess will have to have my second lunch a tad earlier today...

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 07-24-2007 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Cause I can! :p

Old 07-24-2007, 01:58 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,382,632 times
Wink What I love...

Quote:
Okay, here goes...
If you haven't been to the Spring Creek Tea Room in Ozark, you're missing out. It is an interesting place with booths filled with antiques...but I digress! They make an amazing Chicken Salad Sandwich with grapes in it and it's on their fabulous marbled bread. Their salads are also delicious with strawberries and different sorts of greens. They serve some wonderful, unique soups and if you want a piece of one of their cakes, you'd better order it when you order your meal so they can set it aside for you. You see, lunch is only served from 11am till 2pm on Tuesdays through Saturdays and they sell out of stuff, especially their cakes, almost every day. If you are ever fortunate enough to be there on a day when they're serving their Lemon Crunch Cake...BUY IT! You will NOT be sorry!

While you're waiting to be called to your table, you can browse the antique booths. I rarely go home without some little thing since there are some great items and prices!

Here's a great little website I found while trying to give you more information on them: Spring Creek Tea Room Review on TeaMap.com
There are several reviews there...no, none of them are mine...that will help corroborate mine.

For some reason, these are the only favorite things I can think of this morning! Hahaha! And I'm suddenly famished! I'd better go eat some breakfast! When I think of another, I'll post again. I wish I had taken notes last night when I posted the other one but it was so late. Oh, well!

I sure hope some of you are able to go there and let me know what you think. It's very casual and a great place to go with friends...and out-of-town visitors!
Seems to me this would come under the "what I love about..." thread...but that's fine with me this was getting pretty maudlin...

Old 07-24-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripster2 View Post
Wow Polly's Pies in Whittier, I live in La Habra until next week then I will be an Ozark resident. Polly's is not far from me now. Where were you from in California?
Well, I was BORN in Whittier and lived there for most of my childhood! Hahaha! As an adult, I lived all over CA including several soCal cities/towns in LA and San Brdo Counties and even up the coast in Paso Robles and up north in Dunsmuir. My niece lived in La Habra when she was going to Biola. It is such a small world, isn't it?!

Well, you may or may not know it but I live just outside of Ozark so we'll have to get together sometime once you're settled in! When do you leave?

If you have a chance to get by Polly's Pies on Whittier Blvd., I hope you'll order that sandwich...and I recommend you have it lightly toasted! Yummm! I just googled it and here's their homepage: Polly's Pies (broken link)
Turns out they've got several CA locations. I know you're busy gettin' ready to move but thought I'd mention it, just in case. They've got a delicious Olallieberry Pie when it's in season, too! Hahaha! With a pie like THAT, they sound like they're from the south fer sure!!!

Old 07-24-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Seems to me this would come under the "what I love about..." thread...but that's fine with me this was getting pretty maudlin...
You are absolutely right, LJ! Since most of us get around to so many of the posts, I don't think ya'll'd appreciate me duplicating it over there, though. I'd be happy to do that if'n ya want...cause it is for SUCH A GOOD CAUSE!!!

So, have you been to that tea room, yet? I went to one in Springfield and it just didn't have the same casual feel to it. I just hate all that uppityness that so many of the tea rooms seem to have. You ain't gonna get me in no fancy hat 'n gloves 'n lacy finery jes to drink some tea and eat some teeny tiny sandwiches full o' stuff I ne'er e'en herd of! Hahaha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri