Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:18 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,856 times

Advertisements

Adopt California's state policies. That'll solve any population problems in Missouri! Don't ask me about the side effects (as if you don't already know what they would be..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 02:28 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Adopt California's state policies. That'll solve any population problems in Missouri! Don't ask me about the side effects (as if you don't already know what they would be..)
Bite your tongue, NBE. Some people DON'T know how catastrophic that would be.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:48 AM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Missouri’s population has topped 6 million for the first time in history.
The U.S. Census Bureau says there are now 6,011,478 Missourians, with 22,551 of them living overseas. Missouri’s population grew by 7% in the last decade. The largest urban areas and the entire southwest portion of the state are responsible for most of the population gains.
www.missourinet.com
That's awesome! 6.1 million sounds a lot better than 5.6 million.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:57 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
That's awesome! 6.1 million sounds a lot better than 5.6 million.
Not to me I-70 is a constant crowded mess of traffic all the way from STL to KC most of the time. Too many in the US just think fast population growth is a good thing which is not true at all.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:24 AM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Not to me I-70 is a constant crowded mess of traffic all the way from STL to KC most of the time. Too many in the US just think fast population growth is a good thing which is not true at all.
Eh man, traffic in Missouri is a breeze compared to most places.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Hear, hear! Sprawl is NOT attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Eh man, traffic in Missouri is a breeze compared to most places.
And some of us would like to keep it that way.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:38 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,231 times
I-70 is more crowded with billboards than with cars...including lots of empty billboards, billboards for things that have already happened, and "public service" billboards that I am willing to bet are just placeholders because the owners can't sell space on them. So they're not only ugly, they're increasingly useless-- scarcely the marketplace at work.

As to the cars, I'm sorry, but 70 just isn't that "crowded." It's not a rural interstate to nowhere like you see in, say, Illinois or Kansas-- it's a major artery between two large cities, with a growing (yay) city in between the two. For that situation, 70 isn't crowded at all-- and definitely does not need widening.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:09 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,272 times
I'll stick to I-55 for my interstate travels. Thank you

Old 02-21-2011, 01:54 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,562 times
Quote:
That may be true. Price is generally determined by supply and demand. If you took away the inherent profit motive of selling large amounts of land via a conservation easement, the landowner can actually use creativity to become more agriculturally specialized via niche ag markets or wood products markets. Also, the more land that is put into conservation, the less land becomes available for any kind of development. Therefore, the price increases as desirability of land is higher. That leads to more of a "closed circle" community with less in-migration and out of control development.
All this goes out the window when a developer or several offers the landowners enough money that they won't have to ever worry about making ends meet- as well as to get that sweet John Deer he's been eying!- and there will still be money to bequeath.

I don't pretend to understand this mentality of wanting to shut out the rest of the world because it is bad and evil but it is unrealistic to think that one's cherished little locality will never change when the rest of the world is doing just that. Sooner or later, change will reach those self-isolating, cloistered rest-of-the-world haters. It's inevitable.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
I don't think we are experiencing fast population growth.

Seems like we are experiencing slow and steady growth, which is just fine with me.

I'd rather not be losing population in droves, like some of our states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri