Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:37 PM

543 posts, read 855,352 times

Advertisements

Also "Heartland" I usually see Kentucky being called "Heartland"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:47 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Missouri mostly DOES attract retirees, but very few professional jobs- at least not in my career field.
Agreed. If I'd still had to work I likely would have stayed put or moved to a state with more opportunities.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:06 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Also "Heartland" I usually see Kentucky being called "Heartland"
Kentucky is a strange state in many ways... I don't really think it is very representative of the US as a whole at all.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Kentucky is a strange state in many ways... I don't really think it is very representative of the US as a whole at all.
How so and why not? We recently drove the length of it, spending a night in Louisville, and except for being more built up, it didn't seem much different than it did in the early 70s when I was stationed at Fort Knox.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
How so and why not? We recently drove the length of it, spending a night in Louisville, and except for being more built up, it didn't seem much different than it did in the early 70s when I was stationed at Fort Knox.
You prove my point exactly. Cities like Louisville and many areas of rural KY have been bypassed for years due to a lack of forward thinking, too little focus on education, and much less in the way of job diversification and growth. The areas of the US that have changed very little over the past few decades will continue to beocme LESS representative of the US as a whole due to large-scale changes in other areas of the country. States are fighting states for every job and tax break they can give businesses..

Last edited by GraniteStater; 03-12-2011 at 03:21 PM..

Old 03-12-2011, 11:37 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
You prove my point exactly. Cities like Louisville and many areas of rural KY have been bypassed for years due to a lack of forward thinking, to little focus on education, and much less in the way of job diversification and growth. The areas of the US that have changed very little over the past few decades will continue to beocme LESS representative of the US as a whole due to large-scale changes in other areas of the country. States are fighting states for every job and tax break they can give businesses..
Perhaps so, but you say that as though it were a bad thing. As much of the rest of the country decays socially and educationally, areas retaining time-tested cultural values become more desirable than ever to many people. Why the heck do you think people have been leaving California en mass for the last few years?

Forward thinking? Like that which has ruined the quality of life in much of California, made its public education one of history's most expensive jokes, and bankrupted it economically? That "forward" thinking?

Old 03-12-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Perhaps so, but you say that as though it were a bad thing. As much of the rest of the country decays socially and educationally, areas retaining time-tested cultural values become more desirable than ever to many people. Why the heck do you think people have been leaving California en mass for the last few years?

Forward thinking? Like that which has ruined the quality of life in much of California, made its public education one of history's most expensive jokes, and bankrupted it economically? That "forward" thinking?
I did not address "forward thinking" with regard to education. Way to make assumptions... As I was saying, areas that continue to be "bypassed" tend to have a much less vibrant economic conditions as well as low levels of educational attainment. People go where the jobs are...

Old 03-12-2011, 11:14 PM

543 posts, read 855,352 times
Another factor from Stl losing it's southerness after the civil war is because of the industrialization of the city.

The same thing happend in Baltimore.

Although MO as a whole still has much more southerness than Maryland currently does. Might as well call Maryland New Jersey now. Full of liberals.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I totally agree. All the "progressiveness" in CA has led to sprawl, failing infrastructure, soaring prices with taxes to match and a significant loss of what has been truly American culture for over 200 years. We left for the "comfort" of middle-America with attendant culture and values and have not had a moment of regret.

Just because something, societally or otherwise, is new and "updated" certainly doesn't necessarily mean it's better. It's only different and that's not always a good thing. California "celebrates" its diversity to what I see as a ridiculous degree and therein lies the problem. What's wrong with America and American? While I applaud the advances made in many areas, many of them socially, they have also watered down what was uniquely both American and Californian. Missions have fallen into decay, history has been revised, beautiful, historic buildings have bee razed to make room for modern, cheaply built and over-priced ones, cities are crowded, English is fast becoming a second language for all and "progressiveness" is tearing apart the fabric of the populace and the state as a whole. Just look to their Legislature for prime examples.

Blech! This just had to get me started, didn't it?

Old 03-13-2011, 01:22 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We left for the "comfort" of middle-America with attendant culture and values and have not had a moment of regret.
1618 more days, then Adios to the Republica de Califoriegnya.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri