Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 01:31 PM

15 posts, read 23,033 times

Advertisements

As the title says, where's a good place in Joplin area that has quality seafood/beef? Not from China is what I call quality...well, quality-ish. Can never vouch for all of the stuff raised in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,232 times
Try Cloud's Meat Processing just outside of Carthage on West Fairview. Locally grown pork and beef. ,,

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 04-05-2011 at 06:37 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 12:20 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I do not currently live in the Joplin area, but I did for ten years. .

1-] 1 went to Cloud's once. It is expensive for what it is. It is not corn fed or Angus. The cattle I saw was a mis breed; I think it is classified F4 or 4F. The pork is better than the beef.

2-] There is/was - at least until the economy tanked -a father/son meat market on Rangeline that has/had a satellite market in Grove, OK., too. This family always offered decent products.

3-] Dillon's is a Kronger' branded store. I've shopped Kroger for 50+ years and I like the meat. I liked Dillon's meat and bought a lot of it.

4-] Aldi's has some very nice 85/15 ground beef chubs and other meat that I like. Most of their foods tend to be more low cholesterol, low fat, low salt products.

5-] Walmart -Joplin store on Rangeline has/had a small independent leased fish counter with a freezer outside the the counter that had fish by the case and by the package. I bought a lot of shrimp and pond raised catfish there and was never disappointed. It it had a lot of sales, Walmart propbably did not renew their leease. However, Walmart does have packages of generic "fake" fish that is excellent. The brand was Aqua???. I used it a lot for my Chinese dishes.

6-] Braum's food is limitied. The ice cream is awesome. But. I boght a case of the chub ground beef on sale only to learn it was greasy and probably 40-50% filler. I would not buy it again. The pre-packaged food is not a very generous amount for the cost. I prefered to eat the sandwich there and take home the ice cream.

The general problem I have with ALL meat today is it is not FDA graded and it is trimmed too much. Unless it is marketed as Angus or a better grade and USA I don't know what I am buying. I have always trusted milk and foods I buy from Kroger or their branded stores. Ditto for Aldi's. I do not buy Walmart (except what I listed above), or Food 4 Less meats. I occassionally buy Sam's roasted chicken, and frozen restaurant foods but not often because it is expensive for what it is. The cost to hire and sample the food is built into the price.

I have very mixed feelinging about the Japanese dumping radiolactive sea water into the ocean because it is showing up in low amounts the tested water off the California coast. I do not know how that will affect the general fish population -- except create a reason to raise the price in the USA. Ald'si buys a year in advance. I think the canned salmon, makrel, sardines and tuna will be safe for awhile. At this point in time I will not buy any type of fish foods from China, Japan, Korea, etc., and I certainly will not indulge in Sushi or any uncooked/unprocessed fish for the foreseeable future. .

I lived in the MO/AR/OK/KS area for nearly 30 years. I bought the majority of my groceries from the stores in Jopin with no ill effects. Meat not clearly marked USA can come from Canada or South America. Generally speaking, the Kroger meat department employees know whether or not the meat is USA produced. The biggest problem is the FDA inspectors do not do their job.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:57 PM

15 posts, read 23,033 times
linicx— thanks. I think that meat store on Rangeline might be Kramers. They're pretty pricey too. I like seafood, but I'm a little scared to buy it from Wal-Mart cause all their frozen seafood (all they offer anymore) has China stamped on the package.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:15 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Default Yeah

You're RIGHT! It is Kramer's. It's pricy compared to the others. I used it alot when I lived in Grove, and I always left feeling like I learned something, I was talking to real butcher who cuts his own heat, and not someone who just puts out packaged meat in a case, and I never felt cheated. Kramers has been around a lot of years.

I grew up eating corn fed Angus nor far from a fish market that had been in busines for over 50 years then and my grandfather was a butcher. I've traveled all over the US and have eaten what they called "cutter and canner" that was passed off as quality meat. I've had meat switched in lockers for meat with green fat -- > its a grass fed cow. I had dairy cow passed off as Angus. Life is a lesson for learners.

I do not eat Chinese fish. There is a very fine line difference between true Sushi and tuna that is passed off as Sushi by a wholesaler to a retailer. One is deliciousi; the other is just as delicious. There is not discernable difference between the sight, taste or smell - until you are in the hospital. If I want it I will go to my fishmarket.

I've had good luck with the meats I bought at Petty's in Utica Square.in Tulsa. It is not too far from 21st and Utica. 918) 747-8616 . I believe they either have fish or they can tell you where you find it. I trust what they say regarding meat, but I have never talked to them about fish. The one thing I know about butchers is they maintain a sanitary work area.

The pond raised IQF (individually Quick Frozen) catfish fillets I bought from Walmart in Joplin came from a company in Arkansas. I don't remember the name. Heartland in AR and Delta Pride in MS may be the two biggest farms. Delta has shrimp too,. They both have whole catfish, nuggests, etc.. I advise against eating raw or UNder-cooked fish of any kind for any reason. Whole Catfish not cooked throroughly is always bloody.near the spine with something that looks kinda like mucus . Heartland ships by the case. The advantage to IQF is you only remove what you need. I had no trouble storing mine in the original packaging (in the case) in my freezer for several weeks. None of it had the "muddy" taste the catfish in the wild has.

if I was still in the area, I would call Petty's and see what they have to save to say about fish in general. If you've never been to Tulsa, Utica Square is easy to find. If my memory serves me you stay on I-44 and hop off on Utica (exit right), and at the stoplight turn left and follow it to the square. You'll pass a couple of big hospitals and doctors offices first.

What I don't remember is if it is before the 1-44/1-40 split of not. Utica Square is a small outdoor mall that is a lot of fun. Miss K\Jackson is ver upscale. Give Petty's a call. It is on the side of Utica Square, rather than oone of the front store shops or back store shops.

I found some fish markets listed in Tulsa, but I no absolutely nothing about them. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw2184 View Post
linicx— thanks. I think that meat store on Rangeline might be Kramers. They're pretty pricey too. I like seafood, but I'm a little scared to buy it from Wal-Mart cause all their frozen seafood (all they offer anymore) has China stamped on the package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri