U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Moving to Missouri: buy a house, find a job, housing, market, pro bass store.

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2007, 01:54 AM
 
137 posts, read 584,465 times
Reputation: 114

Advertisements

I read posts here when I am in Indiana, I will read them again when I get internet in Mo. But I read these thoughts and feelings from so many folks that are trying so hard to get here. People waiting for houses to sell in so many states. Dreams stream across these pages from so many different hearts. It touches me,is it because I am in the process of doing the same thing?It must be so, I find myself pulling for others in their struggles, wishing they might have luck selling a house or finding one. My wife and bought bare land last spring and only made it there a few times last year. We found a website for a hunting ranch near Branson the had webcams set up and we could watch deer and turkeys come in to feed in real time. OK so it wasn't our land but it was land in the Ozarks and we could watch the sun set there in Missouri. It kept us connected when we wintered a brutally cold winter dreaming of that small mountain top in Douglas county we would call home. We did google searches on everything connected with the Ozarks and learned about the place we would live. I found the parcel on ebay of all things! I had been looking at land parcels in many different states but Missouri always came back to the front.After a while I only looked in Missouri. I think it was because we could still have four seasons and there was water there. Land is cheap in west Texas but there isn't a tree or water for hundreds of miles. I talked to a man on the phone about a parcel and he asked what I wanted. I told him and he said I have a chunk you might like, I'll send some pics in your email. after a few days of looking at the pics I called my brother in law and asked if he might like to make the trip with me,(the sweetie needed to stay home). It was about 11:30 pm when I called him and he asked when I was leaving. I said "in about a half hour". He came anyway! after looking at the land I decided it was for us and after a phone consult we drove over to Willow Springs and made a down payment and that was that. I never looked at communities and then looked for land. The parcel was there and that is why we are there! After spending a few months there building a barn and digging out over twenty stumps we have gotten to know more about our new home. We have found out just how lucky we are to be where we are. when we come back to NE Indiana we can't wait to get back there. We are doing all the moving our selves with our pickup and trailers we have. We did have help from one friend and the new neighbors have been outstanding. But it has been mostly the two of us on our own. We are doing this on a shoestring but we couldn't be happier about it all. The sweetie has a garden we can't wait to get back to, the neighbor will make sure the tomatoes don't go to waste till we get back. We started out in a tent. Then we brought the fifthwheel down. Soon we will have a log sided park model trailer there. With luck by next week. We have traded and bartered and sold precious possessions to make it all happen and we might lose some things simply because we will run out of time and resources to move them but it will not matter. We will be on our own land in a beautiful place where people are nice and life is slower and seems to have more freedom.
I feel the yearning when I read about some of you and your dreams of coming to Missouri. I pray all of us moving there to find one of the last places were taxes and government have yet to become excessive will not change it too much. I just wanted to share a bit of our dream with you out there in this common goal. I wish you all success in your endeavors. And if you think at times it is too hard think of MoMark. He succeeded in life, he made it here and had his place in the Ozarks and died happy. I miss reading his comments along with the rest of yours. On some of the older posts you can still find his comments and gain strength from the gentle peacefulness he seemed to exude with all his comments and advice. Here's to you MoMark I'm comin to live in the land you loved, I hope I can grace it as much as you did Thanks to you all for sharing your dreams with all of us, may we all see them to fruition. Peace be on you all

Last edited by Indy4570; 08-01-2007 at 02:02 AM.. Reason: corrections
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2007, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Ava, Mo
774 posts, read 1,337,425 times
Reputation: 638
I was a little nervous about moving to MO, to a place I knew nothing about and didn't know a single person. But since moving there at the end of March, I love it. The people are some of the nicest people I have ever met. Even my dogs and cats love it there. Just wish the cats would leave the poor bunnies and lizards alone. With 25 acres I not worry about the dogs running off.
It doesn't matter that we don't have a well yet, or a house. Living in a camper is just fine with me. It's like deer camp every day...lol.
Anyone with the dream to move to MO should follow that dream. I sure am glad we did and I have no regrets.

"God lives on my mountain."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2007, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Occupied Territory
354 posts, read 273,234 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagator54 View Post
I was a little nervous about moving to MO, to a place I knew nothing about and didn't know a single person. But since moving there at the end of March, I love it. The people are some of the nicest people I have ever met. Even my dogs and cats love it there. Just wish the cats would leave the poor bunnies and lizards alone. With 25 acres I not worry about the dogs running off.
It doesn't matter that we don't have a well yet, or a house. Living in a camper is just fine with me. It's like deer camp every day...lol.
Anyone with the dream to move to MO should follow that dream. I sure am glad we did and I have no regrets.

"God lives on my mountain."
Glad that you love MO as much as us children of Missouri. LOLOLOL I am just waiting for the property to sell here and then within 2 weeks we will be in the Springfield area and happy as can be.

BTW, you might want to change where you live in your profile here because it says Indiana now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2007, 12:52 PM
 
1,210 posts, read 1,271,540 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHIllbillyWoman View Post
Glad that you love MO as much as us children of Missouri. LOLOLOL I am just waiting for the property to sell here and then within 2 weeks we will be in the Springfield area and happy as can be.

BTW, you might want to change where you live in your profile here because it says Indiana now.
When you get to Springfield are you going to see the Bass Pro Shop??
One of these days we are going to get up their, Its about two hours from here. Not that far to do in a day.

Have a fun safe trip

Don't do anything I wouldn't do
JM
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2007, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Occupied Territory
354 posts, read 273,234 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
When you get to Springfield are you going to see the Bass Pro Shop??
One of these days we are going to get up their, Its about two hours from here. Not that far to do in a day.

Have a fun safe trip

Don't do anything I wouldn't do
JM

As soon as we are moved into an apartment and at least somewhat settled in I plan on having a looksee at Bass proo Shop. After all, I need to buy a good open reel rod and reel and some basic fishing stuff. I am so looking forward to being able to sit at the edge of the lake and/or river and just have my pole next to me with the line in the water. Definitely something I am dearly looking forward to. Hubby is looking forward to being able to sit and read while I do the fishing.

We are just waiting for someone to come by and at least make an offer on the property here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2007, 03:44 PM
 
Location: MO Ozarkian in NE Hoosierana
4,682 posts, read 11,393,510 times
Reputation: 6954
Missouri is indeed a special, a very special, place. A state that, although it has not many of the features [oceans, mountain, beaches, etc.] that places such as California, Florida, NY, etc., it is a state that feels warm - a place where your heart, your soul, your entire being just feels at home. I dunno - many other states have some of the same things, such as the softly rolling hills, blue springs, deep hollers, gurgling creeks, cities, sports, fields, crops, livestock, etc. - but its maybe the combination of all the styles that are w/in her borders, and then most importantly the people that inhabit its land, their mannerisms, friendliness, and ways.

To all that are moving into Missouri, safe travels, and welcome...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2007, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Moved to town. Miss 'my' woods and critters.
25,464 posts, read 12,861,975 times
Reputation: 31737
Today I drove my husband to the VA hosp. in Columbia, MO to keep a scheduled appt. As I drove along Highway 50 during th early morning hours, I glanced around at the country side and realized again, how fortunate that we are to live in this beautiful state. Sometimes when you live in an area most of your life, you may have a tendency to take for granted the wonders around us. I took in the far away hills on both side of the highway and exclaimed to my dear hubby, 'Wow, notice how far we can see this morning'.
The almost 2 hour drive is, for the most part, a relaxing, splendid adventure. As others have stated, this is a state of nature at her best and inhabited by some of the most warm and friendly folk you can imagine.
I welcome those that come here, seeking the comforts, freedoms, and opportunities that abound. But, let's not have too many okay Just a joke.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2007, 08:05 PM
 
Location: SW MO
1,635 posts, read 3,457,546 times
Reputation: 1076
Thumbs up Right on, Indy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy4570 View Post
I read posts here when I am in Indiana, I will read them again when I get internet in Mo. But I read these thoughts and feelings from so many folks that are trying so hard to get here. People waiting for houses to sell in so many states. Dreams stream across these pages from so many different hearts. It touches me,is it because I am in the process of doing the same thing?It must be so, I find myself pulling for others in their struggles, wishing they might have luck selling a house or finding one. My wife and bought bare land last spring and only made it there a few times last year. We found a website for a hunting ranch near Branson the had webcams set up and we could watch deer and turkeys come in to feed in real time. OK so it wasn't our land but it was land in the Ozarks and we could watch the sun set there in Missouri. It kept us connected when we wintered a brutally cold winter dreaming of that small mountain top in Douglas county we would call home. We did google searches on everything connected with the Ozarks and learned about the place we would live. I found the parcel on ebay of all things! I had been looking at land parcels in many different states but Missouri always came back to the front.After a while I only looked in Missouri. I think it was because we could still have four seasons and there was water there. Land is cheap in west Texas but there isn't a tree or water for hundreds of miles. I talked to a man on the phone about a parcel and he asked what I wanted. I told him and he said I have a chunk you might like, I'll send some pics in your email. after a few days of looking at the pics I called my brother in law and asked if he might like to make the trip with me,(the sweetie needed to stay home). It was about 11:30 pm when I called him and he asked when I was leaving. I said "in about a half hour". He came anyway! after looking at the land I decided it was for us and after a phone consult we drove over to Willow Springs and made a down payment and that was that. I never looked at communities and then looked for land. The parcel was there and that is why we are there! After spending a few months there building a barn and digging out over twenty stumps we have gotten to know more about our new home. We have found out just how lucky we are to be where we are. when we come back to NE Indiana we can't wait to get back there. We are doing all the moving our selves with our pickup and trailers we have. We did have help from one friend and the new neighbors have been outstanding. But it has been mostly the two of us on our own. We are doing this on a shoestring but we couldn't be happier about it all. The sweetie has a garden we can't wait to get back to, the neighbor will make sure the tomatoes don't go to waste till we get back. We started out in a tent. Then we brought the fifthwheel down. Soon we will have a log sided park model trailer there. With luck by next week. We have traded and bartered and sold precious possessions to make it all happen and we might lose some things simply because we will run out of time and resources to move them but it will not matter. We will be on our own land in a beautiful place where people are nice and life is slower and seems to have more freedom.
I feel the yearning when I read about some of you and your dreams of coming to Missouri. I pray all of us moving there to find one of the last places were taxes and government have yet to become excessive will not change it too much. I just wanted to share a bit of our dream with you out there in this common goal. I wish you all success in your endeavors. And if you think at times it is too hard think of MoMark. He succeeded in life, he made it here and had his place in the Ozarks and died happy. I miss reading his comments along with the rest of yours. On some of the older posts you can still find his comments and gain strength from the gentle peacefulness he seemed to exude with all his comments and advice. Here's to you MoMark I'm comin to live in the land you loved, I hope I can grace it as much as you did Thanks to you all for sharing your dreams with all of us, may we all see them to fruition. Peace be on you all
I gotta tell ya, Indy! THAT was a thing of BEAUTY! I've gotta go spread some love around so I can give you some more rep for THAT one!

Wanna hear something great? While I was reading your words, I happened to be listening to Louis Armstrong sing What A Wonderful World and it was the perfect backdrop for your words!!! I've got American Inventor's final show on and they were playing an emotional video that the song accompanied so my emotions were high and your post sent me soaring!

If you aren't a writer, you should consider it! What a great pastime while you sit out there in your 5th Wheel or out in a lawn chair at dusk and "wax eloquently" for your enjoyment and your loved ones, too. Who knows what else may become of it?

As I said in another thread, I'm excited to hear more of your journey and am happy to "know" you here in the forum. Whether you know it or not, you are an inspiration...and as long as this forum exists, the potential to inspire will continue to be there in your written words!

Keep your posts comin'!

MrsG
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2007, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,076,346 times
Reputation: 1579
Lightbulb What did you say....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Missouri is indeed a special, a very special, place. A state that, although it has not many of the features [oceans, mountain, beaches, etc.] that places such as California, Florida, NY, etc., it is a state that feels warm - a place where your heart, your soul, your entire being just feels at home. I dunno - many other states have some of the same things, such as the softly rolling hills, blue springs, deep hollers, gurgling creeks, cities, sports, fields, crops, livestock, etc. - but its maybe the combination of all the styles that are w/in her borders, and then most importantly the people that inhabit its land, their mannerisms, friendliness, and ways.
Read that again...it's America!
The "combination of styles" within her borders...the hills, springs, cities, etc...
Missouri is SO America.
The freedom. The beauty. The land. The wave. The lakes...
~sigh~
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2007, 10:02 PM
 
Location: MO Ozarkian in NE Hoosierana
4,682 posts, read 11,393,510 times
Reputation: 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Read that again...it's America!
The "combination of styles" within her borders...the hills, springs, cities, etc...
Missouri is SO America.
The freedom. The beauty. The land. The wave. The lakes...
~sigh~
Here is a virtual toast of wine glasses to her beauty...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:34 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top