Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 03:31 PM

156 posts, read 287,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
you know, i subscribe to this theory, too .... but after all these years, am still not able to determine what purpose the blasted mosquito serves.....
I believe that they are a good food source for bats, birds, spiders, etc. Unfortunately they only leave us humans all itchy; I have two bites on my legs already! What a fun summer we shall have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 06:01 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,320,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
LOL! Yes, I remember many summer evenings when it got so loud you just had to go inside to talk. The hatch hasn't happened yet in Western Missouri but with the rain and heat they should start popping the first of June.
They've already popped here in SW MO.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:48 AM

694 posts, read 1,348,315 times
What an awesome sound to awake to this morning. Not the roar of a summer evening we are accustomed to yet, but a low constant pitched sound of a thousand insects warming up to sing. Every once in a while one will break with the pack and start to bust into song, but they quickly retreat back to the low pitched sound. As the morning has warmed, the single pitched sound grows louder. But the choir has yet to begin its true performance.

Mother Nature once again reminds us that she can be a very cruel monster one day, and then calm our souls with a spectacular concerto of sounds no man can possibly duplicate.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:02 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,783,869 times
Default Cicadas' chirp may cause hearing loss

Who knew?

Cicadas' Chirp Could Cause Hearing Damage, Professor Says

Quote:
"They're in the neighborhood of 90 decibels or above, if you get real close to them," Todd Ricketts, associate professor of hearing and speech at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn, recently told WSMV Nashville.
Quote:
According to Rickets' measurements, the cicadas on the Vanderbilt campus in Nashville, Tenn., measured at roughly 86 decibles. 85 decibles is the volume where the threat of hearing damage begins, and federal work standards stipulate that sounds exceeding that level should not be heard for more than a four hour period.
I'm not getting old, its just all those summers listening to the cicadas' chip as the reason I have hearing loss.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:12 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,166,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
I lived in Oklahoma my first 60 years, so noisy nights were common. One summer evening I'd had a dinner party for a few people who were TDY from California and Georgia. We sat on the patio talking...then talking a little louder...you know how it goes. The guys from Georgia understood but the woman from California finally couldn't stand it any more and asked "WHAT IS THAT NOISE?"
I moved here three years ago from California. I kept wondering what the racket was at first. Last summer I had to turn up the tv to hear over them. There were definate songs going on the other night. I used to go outside barefoot in socal in the yard... not here. Way too many things crawling in that "grass".

Old 05-29-2011, 12:38 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,947,480 times
they are LOUD here in Barnhart today.......

Old 05-31-2011, 07:33 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,658,006 times
I ain't so sure bout SE Missouri being spared this year cause I was headed out towards Marble Hill and I could hear them with my windows up (and my truck has custom exhaust that isn't exactly quiet). I couldn't believe how loud it was! However out by my house in Cape Girardeau County I haven't heard an abnormal amount of them.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:47 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,783,869 times
More info. on cicadas form the MU Extension Center:

News | Cicadas set to invade state, but not quietly | University of Missouri Extension

Old 06-05-2011, 04:05 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,023,003 times
They don't bother me much, other than the fact that they are hideous-looking!

Old 06-05-2011, 07:51 PM

4,357 posts, read 4,522,987 times
I saw my first cicada of the season in St Louis city yesterday. Oh, and my first firefly of the season, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri