Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:53 PM

140 posts, read 273,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Is there still anything people can do to help? I was in St. Louis last month for work, and I have to say, the people of Missouri were some of the nicest I have met. Here back east, people are always in a hurry to get somewhere, and could give a rat's a$$ about the others around them, but that just didn't seem like the case in Missouri.

I am seriously wondering if there is anything we can do to help. They did a report here on one of Cleveland's channels the other day about the tornado, and me and my girlfriend were wondering if it is possible to head out that way just to help out. Even if we can make it somewhat easier for just one individual, I would be happy to do so.

My prayers are with the people of the great state of Missouri.
Yes, there are definitely ways to still help! I think the best place to get info on how to do so is here: Rebuild Joplin They have links about how to give financially, as well as how to go about volunteering.

Also, if you are on Facebook, you can look through the links and information on these two pages that also have info about volunteering: Joplin, MO Tornado Recovery | Facebook and Joplin,MO Recovery | Facebook .

It will be a very long time for cleaning up in Joplin (as well as the SE US, with the tornadoes they had in April), so I know they will appreciate any and all help they can get, as well as all the prayers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 05:14 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,107 times
I had problems after going through '03 Tornadoes Doctor put me on Medication,I felt it would have been better to trust in the Lord with what the Meds did to me.

brushrunner

Old 06-22-2011, 07:06 PM

635 posts, read 1,654,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
I had problems after going through '03 Tornadoes Doctor put me on Medication,I felt it would have been better to trust in the Lord with what the Meds did to me.

brushrunner
I think everyone needs to do what is best for them. Putting our trust in God is great but we were created to have free will to make good and/or bad decisions that affect our overall wellbeing. If we do not feel that we are functioning properly than there are many gifted, blessed individuals that can help us. Medication is not a one size fits all because no two people are the same and sometimes the side affects are worse than any benefit.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:30 AM

694 posts, read 1,356,236 times
Default Inside St John's during and after the tornado

Condition Gray: Inside the hospital as the Joplin tornado hit - KansasCity.com

Old 06-26-2011, 03:53 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
It's so hard to see their faces

Prayers go out to the families of those lost.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Piecing life back together in Joplin - CNN iReport Blog

The roar that tore through Joplin, carving a 14 mile-long path, is now behind us, but our journey through the aftermath still feels like it's just begun. It's been a month since that fateful Sunday, but still we sleep on borrowed beds, and we continue to pick up the pieces of our ravaged lives.

Having only read and seen pictures of Joplin. I did go to help in Greensburg Ks. We were talking and i think it needs to be said that should you and your family decide to move away and start over elsewhere; then that is totally alright and you are just as brave as everyone else. IMO. I know what it was like as a child with the Ruskin Tornado of 1957. Although just very near it; i still get nervous when i see similar weather conditions. You don't have to stay because the majority are staying. Just let your heart lead you to do what is best for your family.

I guess i might catch some flack for this post. I felt it needed to be said.

Sisters forever changed by Joplin tornado - NBCActionNews.com - Kansas City

Old 06-30-2011, 11:25 PM

3 posts, read 5,710 times
Does anyone know the wind speeds of the tornado yet? I heard a group was studying the damage to St. Johns to determine but never heard anything again...I just keep hearing generic figures of over 200. That figure is bogus...at minimum an F-5 is rated at 261 mph. To put in into perspective the 1999 OKC torrnado had wind speeds of 318 mph. They keep comparing the two, so I find it surprsing they keep coming back with such low wind speeds in all the news stories.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:22 AM

694 posts, read 1,356,236 times
Not sure if this contains the info you seek but this is the official NWS report

National Weather Service Springfield, MO - Event Review - May 22, 2011

Old 07-01-2011, 07:24 AM

140 posts, read 273,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saj227 View Post
Does anyone know the wind speeds of the tornado yet? I heard a group was studying the damage to St. Johns to determine but never heard anything again...I just keep hearing generic figures of over 200. That figure is bogus...at minimum an F-5 is rated at 261 mph. To put in into perspective the 1999 OKC torrnado had wind speeds of 318 mph. They keep comparing the two, so I find it surprsing they keep coming back with such low wind speeds in all the news stories.
I haven't seen any updated reports regarding the tornado's wind speeds lately, either. But I'm pretty sure the scale they are usually using to rate the tornado is the EF scale, which lists an EF-5 as having wind speeds of over 200, so that's why you keep hearing that figure. On the old F scale, it would be different, of course. I found a chart here: Enhanced Fujita Tornado Damage Scale that compares the two scales. Every online article I've run across has quoted the EF scale, except one -- an article from National Geographic article mentions the E scale. You can read it here: Joplin, Missouri, Tornado Strong but Not Surprising?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri