U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:40 PM

631 posts, read 629,419 times

Advertisements

They were bad last year but horrible at our place this summer. Hit my fruit trees this weekend and I have never seen anything like it before. Peach tree was almost black with them.

So far the they seem like to only like the green beans in the vegetable line - much like last year (maybe because they are off the ground and on trellis). But all of the fruit trees, bushes, vines (except strawberries and pear) - are under serious attack.

Last year I smashed them in the leaf, but read where that may not be the best - as I am squeezing some 'come hither and have thy way with me big bug' pheromone out of them that attracts many, many more of them. I may be paying for my sins this year, as there are many, many more this year.

So this year, we are picking them off and dropping them into a slightly filled bleach bottle. This means for every couple having sex we can grab - another 10 escape when the branch shakes.

Sprayed the peach tree because there were so many. Killed well over 100 in one spraying but noticed I zapped a few assassin bugs when I did it, and the beetles were just as bad the next day, so gave up on that theory.

Thinking about covering the trees with some kind of netting until the population starts dieing off a little.

Anyone else getting hit unusually hard this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 07:16 PM

19,227 posts, read 16,585,451 times
They're trying so I set out a trap and so far, a couple of hundred have taken the bait and fallen in. Have only seen one in our vegetable garden and none on our flowers - yet!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,965,594 times
I read in the gardening forums that they were especially bad in Florida and Georgia about a month back so they must be pushing northward.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:11 PM

21 posts, read 17,079 times
I've used those beetle traps as well. They are really effective, but I always have to remember to clean them out!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:07 PM

1,238 posts, read 2,993,946 times
Noticed this evening that the foliage on my grapes looks like lace. Japanese beetles were everywhere! So far they have not touched the fruit. I shook insecticide dust over everything (hate to do it) so we will see if it helps. And the vine was doing so well!

Old 07-10-2011, 02:30 AM

3 posts, read 2,796 times
They're thick around my place too, but not doing a lot of damage yet. Maybe cuz I got lots of weeds that they like as well as if not better than my vegies and fruits.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:06 PM

7,685 posts, read 9,001,621 times
they are chewing up my roses--I smoosh quite a few every day.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:11 PM

167 posts, read 209,694 times
If your property is large enough to get some poultry-ducks, chickens, guineas, peacocks it's supposed to do a number on the bug populations. Plus the protein makes for excellent organic eggs.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM

631 posts, read 629,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusky_beauty View Post
If your property is large enough to get some poultry-ducks, chickens, guineas, peacocks it's supposed to do a number on the bug populations. Plus the protein makes for excellent organic eggs.
Dusky - it may come to trying that but these beetles prefer my grapes and blackberries, and I don't need chickens helping themselves to my fruit.

This week we got hit with a new bug. Walking by the shag bark hickory today it sounded like it was raining and not a cloud in the sky. Looking up I noticed about 2/3 of the top of the tree was mostly stripped of leaves and there were a few batches of hairy caterpillars munching away. We filmed one batch that I couldn't reach on cell phone doing some kind of weird dance.

‪Dancing Bugs‬‏ - YouTube

Those I could reach were doing a different type of dance called the dead bug squish

Old 07-15-2011, 08:01 PM

167 posts, read 209,694 times
I keep ducks and they don't have the habit chickens do of eating berries and fruit. They are pretty easy keepers, they're just messy and will wallow in any puddle they find and can make some muddy spots in your lawn if you don't have good drainage.
We dont have beetles in AZ, but I did read a blog today where someone else talks about how their property was overrun with japanese beetles one year, and after they got ducks it became a non issue. Not only do they eat the live bugs, they also interrupt the life cycle by snacking on the grubs in the dirt.

If you don't want to commit to becoming a "duck farmer" you could probably find someone near you on craigslist that would happily let you borrow some ducks, or you could buy some liquidated ducks off of someone's backyard flock for the summer for about 5$ a head and... uhm... eat em when the season is over or sell them to someone else.
I have egg ducks and love them. they are in all probability the cutest baby animal ever, very clownish to watch, cheap to keep, and the eggs and meat are delish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri