Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSouthernMan View Post
I hate to say it, but it seems most on the west and east coast if they don't associate Missouri with St. Louis and the Arch, they tend to associate it with Rednecks, bigots, white trash, trailer parks and meth.
Unfortunately a lot also associate St. Louis with Detroit-esque urban blight and crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 01:08 PM

260 posts, read 586,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Unfortunately a lot also associate St. Louis with Detroit-esque urban blight and crime.
Agree! I personally don't like living in big cities. I wish I could live in far southern Missouri in a Dixie area of the state.

St. Louis is dangerous in many areas and yes many buildings are falling apart. Parts of the city look like the aftermath of the Battle of Berlin or Dresden.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSouthernMan View Post
Agree! I personally don't like living in big cities. I wish I could live in far southern Missouri in a Dixie area of the state.

St. Louis is dangerous in many areas and yes many buildings are falling apart. Parts of the city look like the aftermath of the Battle of Berlin or Dresden.
It's not completely fair, but that perception is out there and certainly parts of the city are blighted and parts experience a lot of crime.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
It's not completely fair, but that perception is out there and certainly parts of the city are blighted and parts experience a lot of crime.
True. I don't feel safe in the city at all unless it's somewhere like "The Hill" as South City is now not to good as well. The city overall is just a trash pit.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:05 PM

662 posts, read 1,227,622 times
Quote:
When I moved to the area in 1990, St. Louis really was a pit on the order of Detroit or Gary, Indiana. You had to go through a huge amount of dirty, nasty slums to get to the handful of things downtown worth going to, such as (the old) Busch Stadium, the Arena, Union Station, or the Arch. The 1980s were about the lowest point in the city's history as the productive citizens had largely all left for West County and the crack-fueled gangs ran rampant. In my opinion, the time when the city started to pick itself out of the slump was in the mid-90s when the three current arenas were starting to be built (Kiel Center, Trans World Dome, and the new Busch Stadium). The downtown is now much cleaner and it looks a little more vital when you drive in on I-44, I-64, or I-70 with fewer obviously abandoned buildings and such. It still has a long way to go to match somewhere like Kansas City that never had the boom-and-bust cycle that St. Louis did, but they are heading slowly in that direction.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:21 PM

320 posts, read 610,631 times
"True. I don't feel safe in the city at all unless it's somewhere like "The Hill" as South City is now not to good as well. The city overall is just a trash pit."

???

Well, someone never gets out, does he? Soulard? Lafayette Square? Midtown? Wash Ave? Shaw? FPSE? TGE? TGS? Dogtown? Old North? Lindenwood Park? St. Louis Hills? Holly Hills? Bevo? Skinker Debaliviere? Wydown? Fox Park? Benton Park? Cherokee? That, without even trying. And while KC has plenty going for it, it ultimately pales next to STL.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
"True. I don't feel safe in the city at all unless it's somewhere like "The Hill" as South City is now not to good as well. The city overall is just a trash pit."

???

Well, someone never gets out, does he? Soulard? Lafayette Square? Midtown? Wash Ave? Shaw? FPSE? TGE? TGS? Dogtown? Old North? Lindenwood Park? St. Louis Hills? Holly Hills? Bevo? Skinker Debaliviere? Wydown? Fox Park? Benton Park? Cherokee? That, without even trying. And while KC has plenty going for it, it ultimately pales next to STL.
Most of those places you just named have been having issues with crimes the last few years. Holly Hills for example you would hear about shootings, Wash Ave has issues too etc.

While I have a conceal carry permit I still will not go into most places in the city. It's just not worth taking a chance being a victim. Other than sportings events I stay clear of the city.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:30 AM

320 posts, read 610,631 times
^ Paranoid! Unless you're a poor black male under 25 and somehow involved in gangs/drugs, your likelihood of being the victim of a violent crime is extremely low.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
The 1980s were about the lowest point in the city's history as the productive citizens had largely all left for West County and the crack-fueled gangs ran rampant.
The people fleeing the city by 1980 were more likely moving to North County, South County and St. Charles.

I disagree slightly, perhaps because I've lived here longer. The low point had to be in the early to mid 1970's.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:31 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes_00 View Post
My husband and I have been DVRing episodes of Truck Stop Missouri.

IMO it gives everyone in Missouri a bad reputation as a bunch of backwater, uneducated, rednecks. Just my two cents.
Reminds me of the time I had a conversation with a Canadian woman in New Zealand (now there's 15 min I'll never get back) and when I told her I am from MO, she said, "Oh, you're those ones they make jokes about!" I said , and she said, "You know, like Pollack jokes only dumber and more redneck." Well I may be from MO but at least I'd never be rude enough to say such a thing to anyone but this one went on about the US in general until I got sick of her and walked off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri