U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:01 AM

588 posts, read 406,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Missouri has the lowest cigarette tax in the US. Given that MO is still a high smoking state, this could be an opportunity for either generating revenue or to reduce smoking. Could be a win-win if MO would bump up the tax...

Cigarette Taxes Very Low In Some States | ThirdAge
Yes, because taxing the snot out of cigarettes makes people stop smoking them and makes a state flush with cash. New York has the highest cigarette tax in the country and nobody there smokes and they have loads of cash...oh wait. The only state in worse fiscal shape is California and NY are decidedly midpack (18th) in lowering smoking rates.

Missourians voted on this very issue not too long ago and shot it down. Sin taxes are wrong for a whole host of reasons. Despite how stupid East and West Coast liberal elitists say Missourians are, they were smart enough to not pass the proposed tax. Before you say that I have to be a two pack a day smoker wanting to save money, I do not smoke. I actually hate smoking and would love it if nobody smoked. Sin taxes are largely ineffective and really only serve to further the political gains of a handful of people. They help to get people who pass them elected based on the Think Of The Children(tm) vote and attract funding for their mudslinging operations from the Think Of The Children(tm) lobbying groups with their own various ulterior motives. They also provide slush funds for elected officials to use to further buy votes and pay back campaign contributors. The people who are going to smoke will do so regardless of the tax or legal status. The sheer quantity of people who use illegal drugs is a testament to that- how many of you out there don't know people who smoke dope from time to time or pop a buddy's Xanax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 11:00 AM

12,062 posts, read 18,440,845 times
^Yes, but I'm not sure you made the point you were going after: High cigarette taxes must, inherently, do one or the other: Either create fewer smokers or generate more revenue.

I'm an occasional smoker, vehement defender of smokers' rights, and certainly no great fan of sin taxes, but would have no problem with MO's cig tax at least being in line (average) with other states.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:58 PM

1,902 posts, read 616,640 times
A true win-win for any state would be for the, I want to control what everyone else does people, to stay the hell out of others' business and mind their own.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:25 PM

15,129 posts, read 20,441,509 times
Usually states with the lowest cig taxes have the highest smoking rates and Missouri is no exception. Higher taxes and prices= less consumption of "sin taxable" products.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:41 AM

^I'm not sure you can call that a causation -- it's really just a correlation that could be explained by multiple other things -- the obvious one: Because Missouri has more smokers and is all around more smoker-friendly, it's residents have continually voted down cig-tax hikes.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:05 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,629,039 times
MO is ranked 10th as of most smoking states and is perhaps one of most unhealthy states because of it.

bizjournals mobile: Kansas City: Missouri, Kansas health rankings take a turn for the worse

The good news is that MO ranked 11th in high school grads.

The libertarian side of me thinks anyone should be able to smoke if they want to but the practical side favors raising the cigarette tax in MO. It's a compromise by not saying you can't smoke, but a way to make it more costly/inconvenient since health costs are likely higher overall due to smoking. Maybe if the cig tax was applied to MO health care, that would be more palatable to smokers.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:14 AM

1,902 posts, read 616,640 times
How about all of the FAT people out there that cost the healthcare industry far more than smokers do? How about taxing MCDonalds and the rest of the nasty fast food places out there? How about taxing more the damn alcohol out there because of the people that are killed because of the drunks in this state, and other states?

I have a better idea...people need to stop trying to control other people because that is all this about, control. It has nothing to do with health or any other idiotic excuse the people lie about.

Last edited by MORebelWoman; 12-07-2011 at 10:36 AM..

Old 12-07-2011, 06:21 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,629,039 times
Point taken. As a regular drinker, a booze tax wouldn't bother me at all - if it were re-applied to say helping troubled drinkers or applied to a general state benefit. I also think we should raise the gas tax. MO has one of the lowest gas taxes in the nation and we have among the worst roads because of it. We tax our property to build city infrastructure. In some states clothing taxes are lower than other taxes - that could be considered unfair to other product types. Some states have income taxes, others don't and raise the property tax. It's up to the states to determine what it taxes. Cigarettes are just another category. If smoking, drinking or any practice causes the State to spend money/resource because of the habit, I don't see an issue with taxing it cover the resources the States have to deal with.

MO already taxes cigs though, just not as high as other states. The national avg is over $1.40 a pack, MO's is 17 cents I think.

Last edited by xenokc; 12-07-2011 at 06:41 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 08:57 AM

There was just an oped in the Star about this recently: The Star’s editorial | A higher cigarette tax would improve health care, schools in Missouri - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/20/3274196/the-stars-editorial-boost-missouris.html - broken link)

Quote:
The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids in Washington estimates that a 73-cent increase on a pack of cigarettes would bring in $283 million a year for cash-strapped Missouri.

The ballot initiative proposes creating a “health and education trust fund,” to hold revenues from the 73-cent increase. It calls for 20 percent of the net proceeds to be used for smoking prevention and cessation efforts; 50 percent to be used for elementary and secondary education; and 30 percent to benefit public colleges and universities, with a fourth of that amount earmarked for the education of health care providers.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:20 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,846,600 times
Everyone has the right to smoke if they want. That right ends where someones else rights begin.

Smokers are inherently weak minded, narcissistic and ignorant (note that I did not say stupid).

I enjoy living in areas where I can go into a restaurant or bar and leave without smelling like an ashtray
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri