Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:01 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,834,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
The town is not friendly towards gays in general, If you more here the only friends you will have is the two of you. Sorry but thats the way it is.
Funny, I know several gay folks that live in Cape, that is not their experience at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:58 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,658,489 times
Quote:
The town is not friendly towards gays in general, If you move here the only friends you will have is the two of you. Sorry but thats the way it is.
It's not that bad for them. While Cape is definitely a bible belt community there is a gay bar in town. So how is it possible that the only friends they will have are each other?

Old 02-07-2012, 02:45 PM
tlw

96 posts, read 428,625 times
Quote:
The town is not friendly towards gays in general, If you move here the only friends you will have is the two of you. Sorry but thats the way it is.
Hogwash!!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:55 AM

570 posts, read 1,576,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlw View Post
Hogwash!!
If your Hog is dirty then wash it.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:34 PM

587 posts, read 1,097,382 times
Cape has quite a large gay commuity for the size of the city. One of the bars has been in existence for a very long time - Independence Place. Additionally, there is often a second bar that exists as competition (over time it has been the Cape Club Complex, or the Pink Squirrel). I beleive there is also a Hastings book store in Cape that has and LGBT selection. I have been to Cape for events and never had any issues. Best of luck

Old 02-11-2012, 11:21 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,721,344 times
This is coming from a straight person who has lived in SEMO, so take it FWIW, but I would think that the less "in your face" you are, the better you will be accepted. I don't mean that you have to hide who you are--if someone asks whom you are dating, you don't have to lie. Only that maybe rainbow bumper stickers wouldn't be a good idea for example or holding hands with your gf in public. Even that would probably be fine but I always caution my gay dd to be discreet b/c there are still hate crimes committed by stupid people who think God is mad at the world b/c the rest of us have "let" this happen. Cape is not going to be like NYC, but I can't imagine that you expect that.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 AM

230 posts, read 384,030 times
I went to SEMO for four years and I say to the original poster, Cape needs you! I was not "out and proud" while I was there; I still had a great college experience, but it would have been nice to have not been so self-conscious about it (personal problem, not an indictment of Cape). The more "diversity" SEMO attracts, the better it and Cape will be for it.

That being said, I believe Cape is a great college town.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:29 PM

3 posts, read 12,610 times
It's been months since I checked back into this thread. I'm on campus, so I've actually found a ton of other GLBT persons here. Got to say though, I can't wait to move back to St. Louis. Thanks for the advice, y'all!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:01 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,480,572 times
^Glad to hear that's it's generally working out well for you!

Old 09-06-2013, 10:54 AM

50 posts, read 112,679 times
I have a family member who is a lesbian in a long term relationship living in the area. She never has any problems with the locals personally and professionally.

I don't know anything about the local gay community. I did go to Independence Place (Cape's gay bar) once with her and her partner to experience the drag show. It looked very lively and I enjoyed the drag show! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri