Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 12,609 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all--

I'm moving to Cape Girardeau in a few months for college from STL. I am an out-and-proud lesbian. I was wondering how friendly the town is towards gays in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 05:43 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,656,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihomi98 View Post
Hey y'all--

I'm moving to Cape Girardeau in a few months for college from STL. I am an out-and-proud lesbian. I was wondering how friendly the town is towards gays in general?
Haven't heard of too many instances of trouble, but it is the bible belt as well. While Cape is a college town, I would say that the university has very little if any influence on the politics and social customs of the town. I'm from Cape County, and honestly you may get picked on more since your from St. Louis more than anything (All in good fun ). Any particular reason why your moving to Cape? Honestly it wouldn't be my first choice if I was homosexual but like I said I haven't heard of much trouble either. Maybe you could visit and see how the people receive you? I will say that if you are flamboyant about it you may get some push back from the locals.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 09-28-2011 at 04:21 PM..

Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,471,921 times
The town isn't really at all gay friendly, but the closer to stay to SEMO, the better. A friend of mine lives in Cape and is bi, but she keeps her sexuality very close to the vest.

I mean, I imagine you'll be fine, but you did ask, so i'm wondering if that means you're considering other schools. What makes SEMO your top choice?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,823,016 times
Even my hometown of Ste Gen has gotten with the times and isnt nearly as closeminded as it used to be towards gays and lesbians.......what I am wondering though, is just how much of a support network that the OP will find, I cant imagine that there is going to be much of a gay community in Cape.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:08 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
Quote:
I am an out-and-proud lesbian.
Does not compute! What's there to be proud of? You are what you are just like I'm a heterosexual male but don't remember any time in life I "out-and-out" proclaimed it to anyone for any reason. I'm not "proud" of it. It's just a part of who I am and I'm simply comfortable with it.

If you have problems in SE MO they may arise from your challenging people to accept that aspect of you rather than just being who you are as a person and letting that attract people. I don't think people will find having it pushed in their faces or being confronted with or challenged by it very pleasant.

As always, just one man's opinion.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:28 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,983,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Does not compute! What's there to be proud of? You are what you are just like I'm a heterosexual male but don't remember any time in life I "out-and-out" proclaimed it to anyone for any reason. I'm not "proud" of it. It's just a part of who I am and I'm simply comfortable with it.

If you have problems in SE MO they may arise from your challenging people to accept that aspect of you rather than just being who you are as a person and letting that attract people. I don't think people will find having it pushed in their faces or being confronted with or challenged by it very pleasant.

As always, just one man's opinion.
I think you are being a bit too sensitive about the figure of speech "out and proud," which just basically means, like you said, being "comfortable" about who she is and not afraid to share this aspect of herself with others. For example, when at work and your coworkers bring up some aspect of their personal lives and who they are dating, she won't shy away in the corner and hope they don't ask who she is dating, because she is afraid to tell them it's a woman! Just my two cents.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I think you are being a bit too sensitive about the figure of speech "out and proud," which just basically means, like you said, being "comfortable" about who she is and not afraid to share this aspect of herself with others. For example, when at work and your coworkers bring up some aspect of their personal lives and who they are dating, she won't shy away in the corner and hope they don't ask who she is dating, because she is afraid to tell them it's a woman! Just my two cents.
I hope, for her sake, you're right. It was just a caution, nothing more.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 6,847 times
Are there any gay friendly churches.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:56 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,656,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletsx3 View Post
Are there any gay friendly churches.
In Cape? I'm not sure. If there are any there will probably only be one or two.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:51 AM

570 posts, read 1,575,918 times
Quote:
Hey y'all--

The town is not friendly towards gays in general, If you move here the only friends you will have is the two of you. Sorry but thats the way it is.

Last edited by adysmom; 02-07-2012 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri