Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 8,285 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband got a job in St Louis, and I got accepted to a grad school at Mizzou.
Thus we want to find a place in the middle between Columbia and St Louis. We have a 2-year old boy, so need to find a place with good daycare, or selection of babysitters.
Good weather/low crime rate (to the extent possible)
Any suggestions?
Million thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 03:16 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,778,666 times
Is there no way to attend grad school in St. Louis where your husband has his job? That is a serious amount of commuting with a 2 yr. old as well. Please realize that there are times that I-70 is shut down in the winter for a few days at a time due to snow/ice.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:24 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,478,478 times
My SO had a professor at Mizzou who lived in St. Peters and commuted everyday. We thought he was absolutely insane and you could pretty much guarantee he'd be late for a meeting with him if you set it up in the morning.

The true halfway point is right around Warrenton, a small town that has been, in the last 5-10 years, growing up quite a bit into what most people would consider the far exurban western edge of the St. Louis metro area.

It should be noted though, that rush hour traffic heading back into the city on I-70 can be pretty rough, so your husband's commute into the city would be significantly longer than yours. To make them truly "even" you'd probably want to look closer to the St. Peters area. -- That's assuming his job is downtown; is that accurate?

St. Peters is safe, has plenty of housing stock and it would be easy to find good childcare.

But I'm telling you, you'll both be miserable. St. Louis has a ton of options in the higher education department -- are you sure there's no comparable program in St. Louis?

Make sure to check out: Washington University, St. Louis University, Webster University, Lindenwood University, University of Missouri - St. Louis, and Fontbonne College

Old 10-10-2011, 02:37 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,520,858 times
My older son works at the Callaway plant (Fulton) and his wife works in St. Charles. They live in Wentzville, largely because he can commute with 2-3 others to the plant.

How doable this is depends on part on what your major is at MU-- is it something like an MBA or law program where there's 4-5 days' of classes every week, or something with fewer classes (maybe after a first year of a lot of classes)? If your major is fungible and can be fairly easily duplicated at UMSL or Wash U or SLU, then by all means look into studying there.

Or, what's his job? Can it be duplicated in Columbia/Jeff?

Old 10-11-2011, 05:50 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,852,297 times
I echo the above posters, is it a grad program you can do in STL? If so, I would and avoid that commute. It would save you hours of time in the car.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:12 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,941,918 times
Thats pretty far, even by my standards. Plenty of StL-based options.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:37 PM

662 posts, read 1,220,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinq77 View Post
Hi everyone,
My husband got a job in St Louis, and I got accepted to a grad school at Mizzou.
Thus we want to find a place in the middle between Columbia and St Louis. We have a 2-year old boy, so need to find a place with good daycare, or selection of babysitters.
Any suggestions?
It's going to be at least an hour commute for both of you in *good* traffic- be warned. Halfway in between Columbia and STL along 70 puts you around Warrenton, which is exit 193 off I-70. The exit you will probably want to take to go to MU is 126, and St. Louis proper is around exit 260. Warrenton is a nice area, but quite a commute for both of you.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:46 AM

327 posts, read 963,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinq77 View Post
Hi everyone,
Any suggestions?
It would be my suggestion to live in St. Louis since your husband will be employed there and commute to Mizzou for your classes. It's very doable. You just have to be creative with carpooling, overnight stays in Columbia, and backup childcare. I've worked with many women who took on this challenge (and it is a challenge) and survived! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri